HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
totally agree. I just don't think we should be lowering the heights of the rare tall proposal that comes along for no reason.
And I totally agree with that. I think hamilton has an identity crisis in that they want to be toronto but they want to be a small town at the same time.

East Coast Ormus: http://east-coast-ormuseco.myshopify.com

Chron Online Riddle: http://www.chronriddles.com

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
totally agree. I just don't think we should be lowering the heights of the rare tall proposal that comes along for no reason.
Agreed here as well. Nobody is against low and mid-rise developments. It's about style and design and so forth. The anti-tall policy is independent from this, though. Random tall buildings are fine.

I think that heights should be proposed and considered case-by-case, with suggested guidelines. If it's a great project, why kill it because of height alone? If it satisfies all criteria and then some, build it already. Besides, there isn't a developer in this city or Toronto who's really going higher than 40 storeys anyway, so what's the fuss.

I for one would love a cluster of towers all around the Landmark building to make it fit in somewhere--finally--or hide it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Agreed here as well. Nobody is against low and mid-rise developments. It's about style and design and so forth. The anti-tall policy is independent from this, though. Random tall buildings are fine.

I think that heights should be proposed and considered case-by-case, with suggested guidelines. If it's a great project, why kill it because of height alone? If it satisfies all criteria and then some, build it already. Besides, there isn't a developer in this city or Toronto who's really going higher than 40 storeys anyway, so what's the fuss.

I for one would love a cluster of towers all around the Landmark building to make it fit in somewhere--finally--or hide it.
Typically cities look like a large scale model of a tower- with the highest development in the center, petering down the farther away from the core you go, in all directions. I am perfectly okay with that.

Personally I feel buildings in places like toronto are going TOO tall:

https://torontolife.com/city/toronto...ronto-skyline/

I don't want to be in a city where I literally feel dwarfed and intimidated by everything around me.

East Coast Ormus: http://east-coast-ormuseco.myshopify.com

Chron Online Riddle: http://www.chronriddles.com

Last edited by Chronamut; Jul 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post

If we get great design on the Kresge towers on King William it should provide the perfect example of what I think we're all agreeing on.... we'll end up with two 30-storey towers there along with the incredible mid-rise development already built on King William and the 21 storey William Thomas. I promise all the neighbourhood association NIMBY's: the neighbourhood isn't going to become a desolate ghetto because 30 storey buildings are added to the mix...in fact, look for more restaurants, bars, cafes, patios and street life. Throw in the new park at John/King William and this few block stretch of downtown will provide a great argument we can use to counter NIMBY claims. Up until now NIMBY's have had their way because they can use fear to stoke their claims, and Hamilton hasn't seen any urban development in 40 years, so it's easy to sell fear.
Once the average joe citizen sees how incredible King William becomes with this range of designs from 6-30 storeys, it will make it MUCH easier to urge city hall to ignore NIMBY's and encourage a repeat of the King William scale all across the core.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 5:53 PM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Given the height reduction, it will be interesting to see how the design changes. I can't imagine they'll simply lop off the original 10-storeys from the top... perhaps the podium will end up being taller with additional units to make up the difference? Or sloped upward toward the tower?

I thought the upper portion of the tower was a little odd looking the way it was stepped, especially the "hat" at the top. I would be happy if that got changed.

The original renders (Source):

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 7:22 PM
#StopHeightLimits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Given the height reduction, it will be interesting to see how the design changes. I can't imagine they'll simply lop off the original 10-storeys from the top... perhaps the podium will end up being taller with additional units to make up the difference? Or sloped upward toward the tower?

I thought the upper portion of the tower was a little odd looking the way it was stepped, especially the "hat" at the top. I would be happy if that got changed.

The original renders (Source):

I agree... I would've preferred if it was the same size floor plan on all floors personally.

Follow us on Twitter or
Like us on Facebook!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
If we get great design on the Kresge towers on King William it should provide the perfect example of what I think we're all agreeing on.... we'll end up with two 30-storey towers there along with the incredible mid-rise development already built on King William and the 21 storey William Thomas. I promise all the neighbourhood association NIMBY's: the neighbourhood isn't going to become a desolate ghetto because 30 storey buildings are added to the mix...in fact, look for more restaurants, bars, cafes, patios and street life. Throw in the new park at John/King William and this few block stretch of downtown will provide a great argument we can use to counter NIMBY claims. Up until now NIMBY's have had their way because they can use fear to stoke their claims, and Hamilton hasn't seen any urban development in 40 years, so it's easy to sell fear.
Once the average joe citizen sees how incredible King William becomes with this range of designs from 6-30 storeys, it will make it MUCH easier to urge city hall to ignore NIMBY's and encourage a repeat of the King William scale all across the core.
I'm in total agreement with this and cannot wait until the Kresge towers go up!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton