HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 3:55 PM

From the Halifax Herald...

Third route into Bayers Lake Business Park opens today

A third route into Bayers Lake Business Park opens today for motorists in the traffic-heavy shopping area.

The Washmill Lake Drive underpass will opens at noon. The roadway underneath Highway 102 connects Chain Lake Drive to Northwest Arm Drive via Washmill Lake Drive and Regency Park Drive.

It also features bike lanes and sidewalks and is designed to reduce traffic backlogs and congestion.

The $16-million project began in spring 2010.

(it's a short article - so I won't post the link - no point).
I thought this wasn't complete? Apparently it is...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 4:01 PM

Finally!!!!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 6:32 PM
Watching & Waiting

Drove it today at lunch. Talk about thrilling...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:09 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by something_witty View Post
Drove it today at lunch. Talk about thrilling...
Is that sarcasm or is traffic actually that bad? lol

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:21 PM
Watching & Waiting

No traffic at all actually, but there was nothing to see! Just sidewalk and trees.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:54 PM
Dartmouth Girl

A good friend of mine who owns a 4wd mid 90's era ford aerostar van drove that road a few times before it was even a road.. lol Way back in the spring, leaving the theatre, we drove out and turned up (very shortly after they cleared the temporary road area so it was all open straight through) and started driving up into the dark, yelling at everyone coming out of the theatre "SHOOOORTCUTTTT" .. it was a rather bumpy ride, and kind of scary at night maneuvering around the giant pit for water services.. lol Oh well glad to see it's open for everyone now.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:54 PM

Drove it also for curiosity's sake and was not surprised to find another HRM screw-up. Starting at the signal lights at Bayer's Lake, it is 4 lanes. It narrows to 2 lanes before the underpass although there appears to be enough room to continue with 4. It stays 2 lanes up the hill through the rock ledge that was blasted away. Then when you get near the top of the hill it goes to 4 lanes again and remains so until you reach Dunbrack. WTF?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Drove it also for curiosity's sake and was not surprised to find another HRM screw-up. Starting at the signal lights at Bayer's Lake, it is 4 lanes. It narrows to 2 lanes before the underpass although there appears to be enough room to continue with 4. It stays 2 lanes up the hill through the rock ledge that was blasted away. Then when you get near the top of the hill it goes to 4 lanes again and remains so until you reach Dunbrack. WTF?
That may be due to land ownership issues. We had the same problem out here in Calgary.

There is a gentleman who goes to City Council public hearings all the time, his name is Oscar. The City was building Metis Trail, a major road in the NE part of the city when they discovered that Oscar owned a huge chunk that they would have to buy in order to build the road.

Considering Oscar's contributions to public hearings - no one was looking forward to it. From what I understand, they are still dealing with him but in order to get the road built...it starts out at 4 lanes, then goes down to 2 to get around his property and then back up to 4 lanes. It's quite funny...here is the article about it. But I rather enjoy the irony.

If you ever want to see what the article talks about (and you have a night of insomnia), check out some of the old City Council public hearings (they are on the web) and just watch for him to speak. You'll understand quickly...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 12:57 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Oscar the Grouch?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I drove this for my first time today. Seems like it is very underused so far as it was only me on the road. There is a project halfway between Bently and Chain Lake. I assumed it is an apartment complex or something. No crane, mobile crane or anything nearby yet. Seemed in the mid stages of site prep. Anyone know what project it is?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 12:16 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I drove this for my first time today. Seems like it is very underused so far as it was only me on the road. There is a project halfway between Bently and Chain Lake. I assumed it is an apartment complex or something. No crane, mobile crane or anything nearby yet. Seemed in the mid stages of site prep. Anyone know what project it is?
Would it be the Panorama - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190038? I thought that I read that construction would be starting soon.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 12:33 AM

EDIT: I said the same as Fenwick but didnt notice the post
I have been by here before and noticed that it does like work is going on

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

That was what came to mind. After looking at the overhead map view in the Panorama Thread I am confident that the location matches location.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure