HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:10 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
No movement here;

Source
Well, the trees look like they are growing fine.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
No movement here;
Bah! It will just encourage people in Bedford who never leave their home to buy BMWs and drive to Burnside. At least according to certain individuals arguing in the Bayers Road thread.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:40 AM

I think in terms of the Bayers Road widening, that the argument isn't so much that people living along the 102 corridor in say, Fall River will all of a sudden start driving when previously they didn't - of course they already drive. The concern is that if you widen Bayer's Road and/or the 102, and make travel on the 102 quicker, then it becomes likely that more people will MOVE TO areas like Fall River, which ultimately will increase traffic in the core (because the cars exiting Bayer's Road will have to go somewhere), and, as more people move to the 102 corridor to take advantage of the newly decongested route, this in itself will add new congestion to the route - tragedy of the commons, and all that. Whether this takes 1 year or 5 or 50 or 100 depends on a lot of different factors. I think the point that a lot of people focus on without really articulating it very well is that the hypothetical new residents of Fall River are also hypothetical new residents of the Peninsula/Metro Transit riders. This is perhaps a bit of an oversimplification, but I think it's the basic concept - people see the poles of "suburbs/cars" vs. "core/transit", and making it easier to drive in from the 102 corridor is seen as a move in favour of the former at the expense of the latter. Whether people would decide against living in a big-house-on-an-acre+ lot in favour of an 8th-storey condo on the Peninsula just because their commute takes 10 minutes too long, I don't really know, but I think that's what a lot of urbanists sort of assume. If the money being reserved for widening Bayer's Road ($1B I think I heard?) was instead used to build high-quality rapid transit on the Peninsula, this argument starts to make a lot more sense.

That being said, building an expressway to Burnside is a bit different than widening the 102 or Bayer's Road. I doubt that many people working in Burnside will actually be tempted to move further away once the expressway is built - it seems like the main results will be (actually in this case) decreased congestion and better efficiency for truck traffic. Then again I'm no expert on this particular proposal.

Last edited by Hali87; Sep 13, 2013 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post

That being said, building an expressway to Burnside is a bit different than widening the 102 or Bayer's Road. I doubt that many people working in Burnside will actually be tempted to move further away once the expressway is built - it seems like the main results will be (actually in this case) decreased congestion and better efficiency for truck traffic. Then again I'm no expert on this particular proposal.
I'm thinking that if I could save 10 to 15 minutes of congestion because of the expressway I could move out to maybe Windsor, nice little town. I could save thousands of metro housing prices?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I agree with this part of your post. This will serve to alleviate traffic congestion.

Really, from what I've seen and whom I've talked to, the decision about where and how to live is based on your preferences. I don't see a downtown condo being in competition with a large house on an acre lot in the suburbs or surrounding town. Apples and oranges. Small apartment with great view (maybe) and convenient commute vs large piece of land to maintain, garden, area for kids to play, etc.

People will choose which of these options they want/can afford and will deal with the commute after the fact. Actually, I think locality in relation to schools would be way higher than commute time on the priorities list for most families (an area in which the downtown currently falls behind, I believe).

BTW, for those who are against this project, you may have reason to celebrate. I noticed that the "promotional" sign has been taken down, indicating to me that the government no longer wants this on the public's radar, presumably to avoid answering uncomfortable questions on why it keeps getting pushed back. Only my opinion, of course, in both cases.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

BTW, for those who are against this project, you may have reason to celebrate. I noticed that the "promotional" sign has been taken down, indicating to me that the government no longer wants this on the public's radar, presumably to avoid answering uncomfortable questions on why it keeps getting pushed back. Only my opinion, of course, in both cases.
If you're referring to the Burnside Expressway, there was a tender out early this summer(60145961) that was awarded in August to Dillon Consulting for yet another environmental assessment. In the tender document it states that "Construction is anticipated to begin in 2015, and will take approximately 4 (four) years to complete".

Definitely a delay from what was talked about before. I think was originally iin the 2013/14 construction plan.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
If you're referring to the Burnside Expressway, there was a tender out early this summer(60145961) that was awarded in August to Dillon Consulting for yet another environmental assessment. In the tender document it states that "Construction is anticipated to begin in 2015, and will take approximately 4 (four) years to complete".

Definitely a delay from what was talked about before. I think was originally iin the 2013/14 construction plan.
The project is in the 2013/14 construction plan that was passed back in April. There is also an agreement with HRM that the highway will be completed by the end of 2015 to allow for the Active Transportation trail and access to the Burnside Expansion Lands north of Akerley Blvd. I doubt the agreement had any repercussion power but it would be entertaining to watch HRM go after the provincial government for not building a highway that was promised 30 yars ago.

Major Projects - 2013/14 - Government of Nova Scotia Department of Transportaton & Infrastructure Renewal

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post

That's good news, better late than never. I wasn't aware that a tender had actually been issued for an assessment. That said, if issues are found during the environmental assessment, who knows how much further it could be delayed?

Given the quoted 4 year completion, it looks like the end of 2015 is out of the picture...

Oh well, what's another few years one way or the other...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 5:37 AM

So whether this will ever be built is more of a question mark right now. TIR is currently getting an environmental assessment done for the proposed new routing of the highway which swings to the SOUTH of Anderson Lake (7km vs 5km original). This is proposed becuase of the enormous $150 million expropriation price associated with the quarry lands compared to a possible $1 price tag (or land swap) over the federal lands. The decision on whether the expressway will be built will be made in the new year.

Source : "Burnside Expressway Decision Delayed" (November 25th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com

- DJ

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
So whether this will ever be built is more of a question mark right now. TIR is currently getting an environmental assessment done for the proposed new routing of the highway which swings to the SOUTH of Anderson Lake (7km vs 5km original). This is proposed becuase of the enormous $150 million expropriation price associated with the quarry lands compared to a possible $1 price tag (or land swap) over the federal lands. The decision on whether the expressway will be built will be made in the new year.

Source : "Burnside Expressway Decision Delayed" (November 25th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com
Bummer. Looks like we won't be seeing this in the near future. Guess I'll have to put off buying that BMW and moving to Sackville...

What about the "active transportation" trail? I would guess that it will suffer the same fate as the expressway.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:34 AM

Going through the federal lands won't be uncomplicated. There is the possibility of finding unexploded bombs that were spread over the whole area after the fire at the Bedford Magazine in 1944. Anderson Lake is also important because it's part of the Atlantic Whitefish recovery strategy. Whitefish, which exist in just two lakes in the wild, have been introduced to Anderson Lake. The federal government also doesn't give property away, even to other levels of government. The land would be valued at a reduced price because it's going to the province for a public purpose, but its customary for the province to pay something for it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 3:31 AM

"$150 million expropriation price"

Who came up with that Dexters?

Anyone else's property and they pay bottom barrel pricing and the bulldozers would already be on the move.

They should pull them into a room and say in their best Tony Soprano voice "Either the expressway gets built... or youse ain't gettin' any more contracts"

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 5:18 PM

News TIR is really look to acquiring lands ?

Dose anyone have any more information on this?

Proposed Highway 107 Realignment, Sparks Road, Cherry Brook, Nova Scotia

It seem Nova Scotia Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal is doing this.

Why are they not just expropriating the land?

And it seems base on the July 25, 2005 report mention earlier in this thread
(sorry don't know how to link it right)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 11:34 PM

This map showing future transportation corridors (included as part of RP+5) shows the rough alignment of the 'future potential' Cherry Brook Bypass. It also shows the potential Musquodoboit Harbour Bypass.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...rp-10-map4.pdf

- DJ

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:24 PM

Back in 2012 the Province and HRM signed an agreement relating to the proposed roundabout where Highway 107 turns into Akerley Blvd. HRM made the agreement to ensure the province would build the roundabout providing access to greenfield space north of the Burnside Expressway (Phase II) for future Burnside Expansion. The province is now asking to push back the completion date to the end of 2015.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0318ca1119.pdf

- DJ

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:40 PM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:38 PM

I posted this same comment in the roundabout thread but thought it would also be appropriate here:

They were saying on news 95.7 this morning that the roundabout is the first step in the Burnside-Sackville expressway that has been promised for the past 150 or so years (ha ha). Seems like they are promising that work will start in 2015... hopefully this time a promise is actually a promise.

The expressway and the roundabout are on page 4 of this document (which is actually page 7 of the pdf).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 11:48 PM

I sure hope so. It's time to sit or get off the pot with this one.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 4:32 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Funny this update about this came out and then I notice between yesterday and today, Google Maps has updated since last night and it is now showing up as a roughed-in proposed route.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Funny this update about this came out and then I notice between yesterday and today, Google Maps has updated since last night and it is now showing up as a roughed-in proposed route.

That's been there quite a while. Google seems to show every project differently, with some things (Route 11 twinning in NB) appearing as soon as they are announced, and others arriving later and even months after completion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure