HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 7:22 PM

Quarries in HRM

Hi guys.. First time poster here. With all of the talk on here about development and infrastructure, I am surprised there is basically zero consideration for aggregate quarries and supply of construction materials in the city.

This is one area, among many, that Halifax seems ill prepared for with local sources depleting and NIMBYism incredibly strong against quarries in the area

What are people's thoughts??

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 9:18 PM

Within the limits of HRM there are 3 main quarries, Municipal, Conrads and Gateway. In 15 years Conrad's and Gateway may have or will be close to drying up. Municipal's (Dexter) will likely outlast most of us, which is why they put up a major opposition to the Burnside Expressway route through their land.

Last edited by kph06; Dec 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Just realized my spelling was atrocious

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 12:47 PM

Interesting... I really hope the new burnside route happens soon but I guess that's for another thread.

Dexter would have quite the monopoly at that point

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:01 PM
armchairitect

Nova Scotia has tons of Aggregate perfect for roadbuilding.
There is a Quarry in the Straight of Canso that exports to the US.. no reason they couldn't ship a load down here if need be.

(Below) CSL Metis unloading Gravel in Tampa Fl, From http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
Nova Scotia has tons of Aggregate perfect for roadbuilding.
There is a Quarry in the Straight of Canso that exports to the US.. no reason they couldn't ship a load down here if need be.

(Below) CSL Metis unloading Gravel in Tampa Fl, From http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca

Of course they COULD, but does that really make any sense at all? I guess if they have a market all they way in Florida - do they just not have the right type of rocks there?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure