HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 7:17 AM

According to the airport's website, A&W will be opening up where Burger King used to be. Pannizza will be in place of the Chickenburger.

I'll check it out as I have a flight to Toronto in a few hours.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:09 PM

I'm surprised at the amount of dining/retail turnover at the airport recently. Seems like a rather sudden significant shift.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 10:25 PM

I suspect it is the ongoing jacking of rental rates by HIAA when it comes time to renew leases. They have a very high opinion of the value of their space.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 11:26 AM

AllNS reports that Newleaf is pulling out of Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
AllNS reports that Newleaf is pulling out of Halifax.
They are for sure. I have flights scheduled for a round trip between Hamilton and Halifax in a couple of weeks. I got an email last week saying my flight back to Hamilton has been cancelled and that they are pulling out of Halifax effectively October 11th. They 'hope to return in spring 2018'

Suck really, it was a great low cost option. My round trip cost around 350 all in.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I never really found New Leaf to be that appealing. I realize I provide only one example set of constraints and routes I tend to fly on, but for me the savings never made up for the drawbacks. I never found super cheap fares that had a reasonable number of stopovers and schedule, and flying to Hamilton is a pretty big inconvenience for me compared to, say, flying Porter to the Toronto island airport. Same thing goes for Abbotsford instead of YVR.

On top of that I was always leery of them cancelling flights. I don't think this is the first time they've taken bookings and failed to get customers to their destination.

It's too bad, because the industry could use more competition.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 9:28 PM

Why would you fly Flair Airlines (New Leaf) when you could fly Westjet non-stop to Hamilton for the same or better price?

I just searched a flight in December Non-Stop on Westjet Halifax to Hamilton Return for $239 all in.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Why would you fly Flair Airlines (New Leaf) when you could fly Westjet non-stop to Hamilton for the same or better price?

I just searched a flight in December Non-Stop on Westjet Halifax to Hamilton Return for $239 all in.
That rate certainly wasn't there when i searched and booked my flights. I always check every airline and Newleaf was the cheapest by far during the small window period I was looking to go.

As for Porter, I know Billy Bishop is great when you are going into Toronto especially staying downtown it's great. But coming from just outside the GTA it is a hassle getting there, and long term parking is more than double the price. Hamilton's airport is pretty much the same distance from me, easier to get to, way less traffic, smaller and cheaper. I've also had numerous issues with Porter in the past so try to avoid them unless it is a super great deal. I know that doesn't make them worse than any of the others because experiences with companies like these vary from person to person but i have had bad experiences.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 2:12 PM

Posted this in the Canadian Airport thread:

Air Canada's Enroute magazine may have leaked some big news for YHZ this summer.

Looks like we will most likely see Air Canada Boeing 737 Max non-stop service Halifax (YHZ) - Frankfurt (FRA)

Source:http://enroute.aircanada.com/en/maga...ew-restaurants

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Canada Jetlines Spreads Its Wings by Announcing Halifax Stanfield International Airport as its Eastern Operational Base

DECEMBER 5,2017

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, Canada Jetlines Ltd. (JET: TSX-V) (JETMF: OTCQB) (the “Company” or “Jetlines”) is pleased to announce that it intends to offer ultra-low fare service from Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ), when it begins flight operations targeted for Summer 2018.

Stan Gadek, CEO of Jetlines stated, “We are pleased to announce the selection of Halifax Stanfield International Airport as our eastern operations base. Halifax is the leading airport of the Atlantic provinces and we look forward to lowering the cost of air travel to and from Atlantic Canada with our Ultra-Low Fares.” This announcement marks the third airport that Jetlines has agreed to terms with, in addition to Hamilton, ON and Abbotsford, BC, as we continue to implement our strategy of becoming Canada’s first true Ultra-Low Cost Carrier (ULCC).

Bert van der Stege, Chief Commercial Officer, Halifax International Airport Authority stated, “We’re delighted that Canada Jetlines has selected Halifax Stanfield as one of their first airports in the country. Experience has shown that the model of low cost and low fare travel stimulates demand and we look forward to offering passengers more travel options between Atlantic Canada, Hamilton, ON and Abbotsford, BC.”

About Canada Jetlines Ltd.

Canada Jetlines is set to become Canada’s first ultra-low cost carrier (ULCC) airline, with plans to operate flights across Canada and provide non-stop service from Canada to the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean. Jetlines is led by a board and management team with extensive experience and expertise in low-cost airlines, start-ups and capital markets. The Company was granted an unprecedented exemption from the Government of Canada that will permit it to conduct domestic air services while having up to 49% foreign voting interests.

Jetlines plans to operate modern Boeing 737-800NG aircraft in a 189 seat, all-coach configuration. Additional services for baggage, seat selection and onboard beverages will be available to customers for an additional charge. Jetlines is planning to begin ticket sales through its website www.jetlines.ca in Spring 2018 and targeting start of flight operations for Summer 2018, subject to government approval.

For more information on Jetlines, please visit our website at www.jetlines.ca.
https://jetlines.ca/2017/12/canada-j...rational-base/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 2:47 PM

Delta Airlines is moving the Halifax-New York flight back to LaGuardia (LGA) from JFK May 1st, 2018. Good news for visiting the Big Apple. This flight will take advantage of Halifax's U.S. pre-clearance landing at New York's Domestic only airport.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Halifax Stanfield Surpasses 4 Million Passenger Milestone – Growth Expected to Continue at Atlantic Canada’s Gateway

POSTED ON JANUARY 25, 2018
Halifax Stanfield surpassed its goal of reaching the four million passenger mark in 2017, by serving 4,083,188 passengers. This is an increase of 4.5 per cent over the record set the previous year of 3,908,799 passengers served.

“We are extremely proud and excited to have reached this significant milestone. It’s reflective of our airport’s ability to grow and adapt in a fast-changing environment, particularly as we expand our role as Atlantic Canada’s Gateway,” says Joyce Carter, Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) President & CEO.

In 2017, Halifax Stanfield was served by 18 scheduled and charter passenger airlines flying to 45 destinations. The airport served an average of 175 flights each day to various points within Canada, the United States, Europe, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Halifax Stanfield has been growing at a phenomenal rate over the last five years, with passenger volume increasing by 13.9 per cent, which equates to an additional half million passengers.

“We will continue to work with airlines and stakeholders to provide our passengers with more travel options, gearing Halifax Stanfield for future growth. The foundation of this work is our shared vision with the provincial government to enhance tourism, trade and immigration,” Joyce Carter further commented.

To celebrate reaching the four million passenger milestone, HIAA will be announcing a contest soon to thank passengers and the community for their ongoing support of Halifax Stanfield.
https://halifaxstanfield.ca/2018/01/...nadas-gateway/

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:45 PM

This announcement will be Westjet daily non-stop starting Apr 29
YHZ to London Gatwick(LGW) on a Boeing 737-MAX8

On top of YHZ - LGW we are getting daily non-stop YHZ - CDG on Westjet.

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1313

Quote:
News Releases
Media Advisory - WestJet announcement in Halifax
CALGARY, Jan. 26, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet, Canada's most trusted airline, is committing to serve its guests in Atlantic Canada more than ever before. On Monday, January 29, the airline will unveil a new adventure out of Halifax and members of the media are invited to attend.

When: Monday, January 29, 2018
Where: Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21
Chrysler Canada Pavilion, 1055 Marginal Road, Halifax

Last edited by q12; Jan 29, 2018 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 4:08 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:12 PM

Westjet's ultra low cost carrier called Swoop launched today from Halifax to Hamilton with almost daily service starting in June.

http://www.FlySwoop.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:38 PM

Halifax airport traffic hits 4 million, setting new record

ROGER TAYLOR The Chronicle Herald
Published February 5, 2018 - 8:09pm
Last Updated February 5, 2018 - 8:10pm

Traffic at Halifax Stanfield International Airport was up by almost 175,000 passengers in 2017 compared to the previous year. (CONTRIBUTED)
Traffic at Halifax Stanfield International Airport was up by almost 175,000 passengers in 2017 compared to the previous year. (CONTRIBUTED)

Domestic passenger growth has been good at the Halifax International airport but, according to Joyce Carter, international flights will propel that growth in the future.

In 2017 the airport authority was happy to achieve its goal of reaching the four-million-passenger mark, with a 4.5 per cent increase in the number of passengers served in 2016, says Carter, the president and CEO of the Halifax International Airport Authority.

During 2017 the airport served 4,083,188 passengers compared to the previous record year of 3,908,799 passengers logged in 2016.

“The largest growth is on

domestic flights — domestic would be our flights to elsewhere in Canada — it’s up 6.5 per cent,” she said in a recent interview.

Over the past five years, Carter said, Halifax Stanfield’s passenger volume has increased by 13.9 per cent, which equates to an additional 500,000 passengers.

The airport boss pointed out that one of the largest contributors to the increased business has been WestJet, which has increased its passenger business in Halifax over the last five years by 160 per cent.

When the federal government transferred the operation of the airport to a local authority in 2000, Carter said the airport was serving less than three million passengers annually.

“Our international traffic last year was pretty well flat — a couple of changes with schedules that didn’t see us grow internationally year-over-year, however, an announcement like the ones (recently made by WestJet) is going to make a tremendous difference,” Carter said.

WestJet announced it would be flying a daily flight, directly from Halifax to London’s Gatwick Airport on a seasonal basis, starting in May. Likewise, the Calgary-based airline is flying directly from Halifax to Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris on a daily basis, during the same seasonal, May-to-late-October period.

“These are two direct international flights out of Halifax, they’re seasonal, so starting in the spring and going to late in October, but they’re daily flights going into France, which is a new destination for WestJet and to London’s Gatwick airport, which will be new for us on a daily basis starting this year,” she said.

Although WestJet will be flying a 737-MAX on both routes, which is limited to 174 passengers, Carter said the fact that it will be daily flights will have a significant impact on the airport’s international passengers numbers this year.

“We’re well served domestically. . . . Our location on the eastern seaboard, however, gives us real opportunity to connect more broadly internationally. So, because of being right on the coast and the introduction of new high-technology aircraft such as the 737-MAX, it really does become efficient for carriers like WestJet to do direct service into locations in Europe and U.K.,” said Carter.

And that is the airport authority’s growth plan, she said. “We are a hub today in Atlantic Canada, so that means air traffic in Halifax feeds from other airports in Atlantic Canada and goes beyond. That’s where we see the real growth. It’s not that we ever want to stop growing domestically, but in terms of the real growth going forward, we feel it will be international, particularly into Europe, the U.K. and into markets like France.”

Carter said Germany is a big potential market for the Halifax airport and Frankfurt is a destination the authority spends a lot of time talking about.

“It would be great to get a direct service into Frankfurt. That’s one that we certainly are working on and it would be nice to see the day when we have a carrier decide to do that as a direct route as well,” Carter said.

The airport authority hasn’t finished collecting all the data to determine its 2017 cargo numbers for the year end, she said, adding that cargo service development is a priority for the airport authority.

“Cargo volume, for us, is really about the cargo development in the region. Passenger volume is too, to an extent as well, but for sure cargo is being able to provide that increase to the exporters and in particular in this case, the fishers.”

The largest growth for the cargo flights is on the international end, she said, with direct service out of Halifax to locations around the world.

But from an airport perspective, Carter admitted, cargo traffic is important, but passenger growth is what will drive growth at the airport.

“The thing with passenger growth — it allows us to generate what we call non-aeronautical revenue, so passengers who are catching these flights are enjoying the services that we have to offer at the airport, unlike cargo,” she said.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:39 PM

I don't care how their stats are growing or how many awards they win. Until they tear big pieces of it down and totally rebuild it with the amenities and people-moving tech one expects to find in such a sprawly place, will always be a crappy airport to me.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
“It would be great to get a direct service into Frankfurt. That’s one that we certainly are working on and it would be nice to see the day when we have a carrier decide to do that as a direct route as well,” Carter said.
That's a weird thing for an airport official to say. Condor has been offering direct service to Frankfurt for many years.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:32 PM

I don't find Stanfield particularly sprawly for its size. It seems fairly proportionate to other airports I've been in in recent years. About the only significant difference I can think of is that some other airports make more use of vertical space, but generally speaking the walking distance between baggage handling/security/gate feels the same as anywhere else. I guess the one exception here could be getting to the US departures area from baggage handling. I haven't flown to the US from Stanfield. That said, I don't think it's any worse than the baggage check-in to US departures section at Pearson's Terminal 3.

It's largely a matter of form following function, I think.

I can only compare to Pearson, Trudeau, MacDonald-Cartier, O'Hare and McCarran, though.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
I don't find Stanfield particularly sprawly for its size. It seems fairly proportionate to other airports I've been in in recent years. About the only significant difference I can think of is that some other airports make more use of vertical space, but generally speaking the walking distance between baggage handling/security/gate feels the same as anywhere else. I guess the one exception here could be getting to the US departures area from baggage handling. I haven't flown to the US from Stanfield. That said, I don't think it's any worse than the baggage check-in to US departures section at Pearson's Terminal 3.

It's largely a matter of form following function, I think.

I can only compare to Pearson, Trudeau, MacDonald-Cartier, O'Hare and McCarran, though.
I agree, I don't find it that sprawling at all really.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure