HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
...In 30 years we'll be saying that the 'state of the art' buildings they are now throwing up are ugly junk...
I don't think these were EVER considered state of the art. And really, shouldn't that be a requirement for something to go up next to one of the great (and borderline criminally underutilized) public spaces in the city?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
And really, shouldn't that be a requirement for something to go up next to one of the great (and borderline criminally underutilized) public spaces in the city?
Totally agree.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if both these were torn down next week, along with a whole bunch of other condo buildings that are blighting the landscape in this city. My comment was just indicating that compared to other buildings I've seen around, including some that have been excitedly talked about here, these buildings don't seem that much more unremarkable to me.

There, I'm done defending that comment...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I don't think these were EVER considered state of the art. And really, shouldn't that be a requirement for something to go up next to one of the great (and borderline criminally underutilized) public spaces in the city?
The building on the left, in particular, was embarrassing the moment it went up. It wasn't that long ago and I remember everyone shaking their heads at how such a cheap, ugly, pre-fab piece of junk was allowed to be thrown up (pun intended) in such a prominent location. So much development gets vicious opposition in this city, but a hideous blight like this? No problem.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 1:31 AM

May I present the newest roundabout in Halifax .... Ingramport!

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

Last edited by Dmajackson; May 22, 2016 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 3:43 PM

For anyone who hasn't been by in a while, the North Park Street project is now like 99.9% done. The roundabouts have been done since last summer, but now related stuff is done too. The big thing is under grounding of the power! It looks way better; you can actually get a nice photo of the armoury.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:11 PM

Introducing Halifax's newest .... North Quarry Roundabout. Photo is from Wright Avenue Overpass. IKEA access road is straight ahead and Cabela's (Cabela Road) is on the right.

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Introducing Halifax's newest .... North Quarry Roundabout. Photo is from Wright Avenue Overpass. IKEA access road is straight ahead and Cabela's (Cabela Road) is on the right.

Is that an entrance only, it looks narrow for two-way traffic? I realize this isn't the only access, regardless it's going to be a terrible pinch point for massive amounts of traffic trying to get to IKEA.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:53 AM

TPTB seem to be pushing roundabouts for every new intersection, but they all seem too small and badly designed. Maybe we aren't doing them correctly? I had occasion to go thru the Uteck roundabouts today but from a new direction, heading inbound from Kearney Lake Road. They are hugely confusing in that direction. A sign mentions Hogan Rd, which I had never heard of and believe goes nowhere. I wanted the 102 outbound and there was a sign for it at the first roundabout but no direction at all on the second one and it would have been very easy to miss. Meanwhile the guy next to me (why these have 2 lanes baffles me) literally was just going around in circles having obviously gotten flustered. Just very poorly designed.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Is that an entrance only, it looks narrow for two-way traffic? I realize this isn't the only access, regardless it's going to be a terrible pinch point for massive amounts of traffic trying to get to IKEA.
It's a steep, two-lane, bi-directional road with a sidewalk. It connects with the central parking lot aisle leading to the store entrance. If they don't put a stop sign at the parking lot entrance I think this will work just fine. The main pinch point is going to be the "switchback" at the top of the hill it is sharper than the Joe Howe Drive access ramp in Fairview.

Remember there will be three access points to IKEA. Countryview Drive and Highway 118 will use the access road shown above. People coming from Bedford/Sackville on Wright Avenue will use Finlay Drive. This will also get some of the 118 traffic. There will also be a northern access from Cutler Avenue which in the next few years will intersect Akerley & Highway 107.

- DJ

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 6:24 PM

Halifax has decided to look at potentially placing roundabouts at two high volume highway intersections;

1) Woodland Avenue @ Highway 118 @ Mic Mac Blvd @ Lancaster Drive

2) Beaver Bank Connector (Highway 354) @ Old Sackville Road (about 100 feet from Highway 101)

I think there is justification at looking at both intersections. The Highway 118 intersection is one the more dangerous intersections in Dartmouth mainly because of its high approach speeds. A roundabout should slow traffic down in the residential section of Woodland Avenue and it would keep people from slamming on the brakes or blasting through red lights.

The Sackville one is more up in the air. The issue at this intersection appears to be the left-turning traffic off of Beaver Bank. The Highway 101 ramps and bend in the road manages to keep traffic at safe speeds considering it is a provincial tertiary highway which are designed for 70km/h. Add in the steep grade of Old Sackville Road on both approaches and the busy uncontrolled intersection located nearby and a roundabout may not be the best solution. The best, low-impact solution would be to install left-turn only phases on Beaver Bank.

- DJ

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 2:07 AM

Completed photo of the roundabout in Dartmouth Crossing. This is from the steep hill above so IKEA is to the left, Cabela's / Bass Pro is to the upper left (opening later this month), Highway 118 off-ramp / Wright Avenue is to the right and Countryview Drive is to the upper right).

- DJ

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 1:40 PM

That is the roundabout where the idiot drivers who have no clue where they are going take the left lane of the Wright ave ramp that is designed to take them to Ikea/Bass Pro, go into the roundabout and then immediately exit it onto Countryview.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That is the roundabout where the idiot drivers who have no clue where they are going take the left lane of the Wright ave ramp that is designed to take them to Ikea/Bass Pro, go into the roundabout and then immediately exit it onto Countryview.
Which is a perfectly legal and sane thing to do.

The signs on the entrance to the roundabout indicate that it is okay to do that. If you are coming off the 118 and you want to go down to the theater side of Dartmouth crossing then you don't have to make any lane changes.

If you do it the way that you describe then you have to make 2 lane changes to get back to where you were increasing the probability of getting into an accident.

I assume you're one of those drivers who takes the curb lane then immediately wants to change over after making the right. Which is a dangerous thing to do and would place you at fault for any accident.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Which is a perfectly legal and sane thing to do.

The signs on the entrance to the roundabout indicate that it is okay to do that. If you are coming off the 118 and you want to go down to the theater side of Dartmouth crossing then you don't have to make any lane changes.

If you do it the way that you describe then you have to make 2 lane changes to get back to where you were increasing the probability of getting into an accident.

I assume you're one of those drivers who takes the curb lane then immediately wants to change over after making the right. Which is a dangerous thing to do and would place you at fault for any accident.
Nonsense. You know what "assume" means. Besides, I never go to movies.

I see no reason why one would enter a roundabout and contend with traffic in the circle to re-enter back into the street you were just on.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:37 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Personally, I think that was the dumbest idea to take the 2 lanes and then feed one into the roundabout. Surely it could have been designed better??

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:48 PM

Still waiting for the mass carnage predicted by Keith as we are adding more roundabouts. I suppose it will happen soon, no?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Still waiting for the mass carnage predicted by Keith as we are adding more roundabouts. I suppose it will happen soon, no?
It happens every day.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It happens every day.
Right on cue!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 11:45 PM

Halifax has approved the recommendation for a roundabout at Highway 118/Lancaster/Woodland/Mic Mac. It's pegged at $3.5 million and would be cost shared with the province.

Lancaster - Woodland Intersection - Dec 3/19

They also supported the recommendation to not build a roundabout at Beaverbank/Old Sackville.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Halifax has approved the recommendation for a roundabout at Highway 118/Lancaster/Woodland/Mic Mac. It's pegged at $3.5 million and would be cost shared with the province.

Lancaster - Woodland Intersection - Dec 3/19

They also supported the recommendation to not build a roundabout at Beaverbank/Old Sackville.
Hopefully for nostalgia, they call it the Mic Mac Rotary lol. I was so disappointed the first time I drove back to Dartmouth as an adult to see the rotary gone and replaced by an overpass lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure