HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
In estimates from the CBC article linked below, it looks like the likely toll cost would be in the $3 range to go between Porters lake and the Bedford Common (Sackville). Presumably the cost would be reduced to go the shorter distance between Sackville and Burnside.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...tion-1.3948597
Do we really have $330 million for a non-essential piece of infrastructure ?
And before anyone asks : Yes I have been on Magazine hill during morning and afternoon rush hours.
I hope the feds put the money into new hospital for metro.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
And before anyone asks : Yes I have been on Magazine hill during morning and afternoon rush hours.
Well, technically it would be $165 million, since the point of the article is that half the cost would be paid for by tolls... and "we" wouldn't be paying for all of 'that half', as a significant portion would supposedly come from all the "free" money the feds are already dolling out to the provinces for infrastructure.

Is a new hospital still in the works? I thought the NS government missed out on that as a possibility. That would certainly be a good use of our tax dollars (seriously). Weren't we going to have a separate thread for the hospital?

I too have been caught in rush-hour traffic throughout the municipality, and I too wouldn't care about it if I were retired and had all the time in the world...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I have spent the last two years off and on in the VG hospital and I know all too well how decrepit it is. The water has Legionaires disease in it. If. A hospital In the. States had that problem it would be shut down. But I still support the 107 expressway. It does. not have to be one or the other.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:38 PM

Green light!

Quote:
The $390 million project over seven years will twin three sections of highways and construct the four-lane, 8.7-kilometre Burnside Connector from Bedford to Burnside.

The three highway projects are 9.5 kilometres on Highway 101, Three Mile Plains to Falmouth (including the Windsor Causeway), 22 kilometres on Highway 103, Tantallon to Hubbards and 38 kilometres on Highway 104, Sutherlands River to Antigonish.
https://www.localxpress.ca/local-new...o-tolls-598087

https://novascotia.ca/twinning/docs/...esentation.pdf

Last edited by q12; Apr 26, 2017 at 1:50 PM. Reason: Added IKEA's location

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:44 PM

Good news, though this has gone on for so long I'm still having a hard time believing it. I guess we'll see...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 9:42 PM

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 10:58 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is this road expected to induce additional traffic on the bridges? I don't live in HFX but am I correct that both the MacDonald and MacKay would seem like much more attractive options for people working in downtown halifax and living in Bedford/Lower Sackville?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Looking at the map, this appears to traverse the area near Magazine Hill that is off limits due to unexploded ordinance. Am I wrong?

EDIT: I checked out the link to the article finally and see that UXO clearing is exactly what its about. D'OH!

Last edited by terrynorthend; Jul 9, 2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: I spoke too soon

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 12:11 PM

I had not seen that routing map previously. I assumed it would be a relatively straight shot from the end of Burnside Drive to Duke St. Instead they are doing a loop the loop to parallel the existing Magazine Hill road? I wonder why? That seems illogical.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 5:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I had not seen that routing map previously. I assumed it would be a relatively straight shot from the end of Burnside Drive to Duke St. Instead they are doing a loop the loop to parallel the existing Magazine Hill road? I wonder why? That seems illogical.
I'm not sure if this was the reason but I recall reading that there were sensitive wetlands to the northeast of Anderson Lake. Then alignment shown there passes right over a little, maybe less hydrologically significant, lake.

I wonder what the plan is with that interchange labelled HFX555? Will there be a westward route for Bedford traffic there? Will there be an under/overpass for Magazine Hill? Is that area going to be developed into residential or something else?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 7:58 PM

I'm pretty sure Dexter owns the land needed for the straight shoot, and it was going to be too expensive?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I'm pretty sure Dexter owns the land needed for the straight shoot, and it was going to be too expensive?
Eminent domain? Lol.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I recall the same..... couldn't find any reference to it but I remember reading that a few years ago. I always thought that the Province would have a big expropriation stick, but also that a company like Dexter would have more litigation stamina than a single property owner who wasn't happy with an expropriation settlement.

Last edited by hoser111; Jul 9, 2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: adding a bit....

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 12:24 PM

In Nova Scotia eminent domain/expropriation doesn't mean you get it for free. It just means the government can compel the land owner to sell at market rate. If that land could be shown to be viable for a quarry, or something like that, then "market rate" could be very high.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 8:03 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Decision on environmental approval of Hwy 107 extension on hold

A study on the Atlantic Whitefish delays this project further.

Article here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...fish-1.4266887

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
A study on the Atlantic Whitefish delays this project further.

Article here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...fish-1.4266887
Quote:
Rankin gave the department one year to update its environmental assessment application with the requested information. Once he receives the update, he has 50 days to make a decision.
Hmmm... so a maximum of 1 year + 50 days before a decision is made. Then, depending on the decision...

Progress on this project hasn't even been up to the 5 Moes' level... the NFB building is going at a blistering pace compared to this one.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:06 PM

The most recent 5-year Paving Plan, released today, has this project starting in FY 2019-2020.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 10:48 PM

I just discovered this secret internal document from NS Dept. of Highways:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 1:50 PM

Prime Minister is announcing funding for this at an event today. We may finally have the green light to start construction this spring.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:26 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This is long overdue but I am glad to see it finally happening. Not sure what Metro Transit plans to do but I would expect or hope to see some sort of express routes from Bedford crossing to Dartmouth Crossing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure