HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 10:13 PM

First Impressions

Well, I decided to go out and try out this new "rapid" transit all the kids are talking about these days. And by "kids," I mean "20 to 30 - somethings like me who are fuckin' geeks." I boarded a # 170 U of M @ the new downtown Balmoral / AnX station. I then road to the end of the "rapid" section, got off @ Jubilee, and subsequently took the # 160 back to Osborne Station and left said station on foot. Here are my thoughts....

I like what they have done with the Balmoral / AnX station, but I think it's pretty close to Graham Avenue Mall and the numerous buses that already stop there. It seemed odd that seconds after leaving the Balmoral Station we turned onto Graham and stopped along that stretch roughly 4783 times. There's nothing rapid about this downtown stretch, which I had anticipated going in, but I thought perhaps it would be a little faster than before given all the bus priority signage. I was wrong. With Graham Avenue being fairly underdeveloped, I would really dig seeing something more along the lines of this in the future: route ALL the Graham Avenue Mall buses to the Balmoral station. Take out all the lights on Graham toss in stop signs at all the intersections. Private traffic could still cross, but buses would have priority. Then the buses utilizing the rapid transit stretch could blast through most of downtown (see: RAPID), with perhaps one more major station around Graham and Main. Thinking long term, Union Station is the obvious great choice as the metro's major transit hub. Crossing Main would probably require a tunnel or something, so until it's a viable option to use Union Station, another station at the eastern terminus of Graham might be nice for commuters to have two locations to board downtown. This way the "rapid" portion of the routes could be extended by a kilometer or two. Except for the necessity of crossing Portage Avenue, this would essentially mean faster, more consistent service for the entirety of the route(s), not just the new 3.7 km section. Two main downtown stations is all we need, I suspect, and Graham Avenue Mall feels a little bit redundant now.

The above might sound ignorant or naive, and to be honest I only pondered this today as I took my first ride. I also understand my proposed 'bus only, no stops' solution for Graham would create some parking issues, but these can perhaps be addressed utilizing some of the underdeveloped stretches of Graham Avenue.

As for the actual "rapid" section of the route, I thought it was delightful. I will probably never use it, but I think it's great for the city to have. The length is so short that if you blink you'll miss it, but maybe that's the point. It's a start.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 80 km/h stretch actually extends to Jubilee. I had expected the normal route to commence again after the Fort Rouge Station. The actual stop @ Jubilee is, however, anticlimactic and kinda counter intuitive. It felt kinda like the director decided to stop shooting three seconds before the money shot.

I realize funds are tight and that this stop is currently the last leg of the rapid transit segment, but if we are to extend this line in the future, it would be sorta nice to have a real station at Jubilee as well; something that's enclosed, and actually connected to the surrounding streets so pedestrians can easily access it. It seems like it would be difficult for some locals to access this stop, even though it's so close to major streets. Much harder to access than the other stations. We're talking hard, as in harder than a priest at a playground here. You get off in the middle of nowhere, and there's no crosswalk or signage to cross to the other side. The street merges with another around a bend in the road, so on a busy day it may not be the safest place to cross the street for pedestrians. This seemed ill conceived to me, at such a new stop. Blind spots all around, very little signage, exposed little bus shacks far removed from each other, and poor pedestrian access to the surrounding area.

Again, nothing I write here is really informed. I'm naive, and clearly not a transit planner. I'm just a skyscraper geek, so please take my ill informed first impressions with a large grain of salt. As in, a fucking salt lick.

On one final positive note, I got off @ Osborne Station, and was impressed. It turned out to be everything I had hoped for. Very sophisticated and urban feeling; very "big city." Also, it was pretty damn busy, which was nice. I know it's the first official day running, but it's also Easter Sunday, and I was the only one who looked like he was riding for fun. It seems to be a well thought out, sufficiently linked and used terminal. Good access, very good signage, and a safe and secure atmosphere. I dug it.

Anyways, there's my lengthy rant regarding my first impression. Overall I liked the experience very much. It's a bit feeble now 'cause it's so short, but, like I tell my lady friends, it'll grow just fine. I am excited to secure funds for the future lengths, so this segment will feel more relevant and cohesive. I think it's a pretty good start to what will hopefully soon become a more comprehensive system.

Oh, here's a neat lil' view I captured after hiking up a little dirt hill at the Jubilee terminus:

P.S. - the tunnel is pretty cool too. I'm secretly happy we had to finance its construction, because it feels nifty and urban.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
route ALL the Graham Avenue Mall buses to the Balmoral station. Take out all the lights on Graham toss in stop signs at all the intersections. Private traffic could still cross, but buses would have priority.
Pretty sure that'd be a disaster during rush hour (unless I'm misunderstanding what you are suggesting).

Quote:
The actual stop @ Jubilee is, however, anticlimactic and kinda counter intuitive. It felt kinda like the director decided to stop shooting three seconds before the money shot.
If I remember correctly, the Jubilee station is to be completed as part of (and possibly even paid by) the developers who do the Fort Rouge Yards residential development.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:59 AM
ARTchitecture

So are they building/did they build the Southwest Corridor to be easily converted into rail eventually? It makes me sad that they reneged on the commitment to rail and went for this. But hey, at least it's progress

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 8:15 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Pretty sure that'd be a disaster during rush hour [b](unless I'm misunderstanding what you are suggesting).[\b]

If I remember correctly, the Jubilee station is to be completed as part of (and possibly even paid by) the developers who do the Fort Rouge Yards residential development.
Stop signs on the side streets, so that the buses have free range on Graham, while lines of cars start spilling out onto Portage...

Can't we just turn some streets into cul-de-sacs, but leave lanes for buses only? That or someone build a traffic tunnel between the Midtown bridge and Notre Dame...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 4:54 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Video Link

CJOB video of the FIRST day of "rapid" transit in Winnipeg...

At 30 seconds in, look at alll the passengers, packed onto that bus...Wow, "rapid" transit....Something that everyone wants...to ride a bus.... The bus is mostly empty...

Get real people.

LOL!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
CJOB video of the FIRST day of "rapid" transit in Winnipeg...

At 30 seconds in, look at alll the passengers, packed onto that bus...Wow, "rapid" transit....Something that everyone wants...to ride a bus.... The bus is mostly empty...

Get real people.

LOL!
I'm pretty sure we've all got the idea by now that you aren't a fan.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:11 PM

Next lifetime I'm choosing to be born in a BIG city like New York or Chicago.

They have lots and lots and lots of trains of every type...Some above ground some below. Going to the airport, to parks, CBDs.

Commuter, rail-based rapid transit, etc...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:35 PM

why not do it in this lifetime? you can satisfy your rail fetish that way

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:56 PM
Source?

Ive taken the 160 a couple times now, gotta say the stations look REALLY nice.

There are about as many people on the 160 as there were on the 60 so it appears to be useful to people!

They gotta keep this thing going..

Quick question, whats the status of that fort rouge condo/townhouse project? Passing that massive site a few times.. it would be awesome to have something there other than dirt and debris.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Ive taken the 160 a couple times now, gotta say the stations look REALLY nice.

There are about as many people on the 160 as there were on the 60 so it appears to be useful to people!

They gotta keep this thing going..

Quick question, whats the status of that fort rouge condo/townhouse project? Passing that massive site a few times.. it would be awesome to have something there other than dirt and debris.
http://fortrougeyards.com/

Personally I have zero confidence in seeing anything there in the near future. B&M land is currently the one behind the project and they have done nothing to instill any confidence. They're still building a condo project on McPhillips that has been delay after delay. They have numerous lawsuits filed agaisnt them and have cash flow problems still. There has been a half finished structure of a building sitting there for 4 years on McPhillips. The wood frame is all weathered now and its a major eyesore. They started building again about a year ago but that building remains half finished still.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 8:34 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
http://fortrougeyards.com/

Personally I have zero confidence in seeing anything there in the near future. B&M land is currently the one behind the project and they have done nothing to instill any confidence. They're still building a condo project on McPhillips that has been delay after delay. They have numerous lawsuits filed agaisnt them and have cash flow problems still. There has been a half finished structure of a building sitting there for 4 years on McPhillips. The wood frame is all weathered now and its a major eyesore. They started building again about a year ago but that building remains half finished still.

I've been passing that site on McPhillips for 2 years now when I drive to my girlfriends... I've often wondered what the hell was wrong with that site... It was comical when they put half the windows in that weathered half finished building. I was trying to figure out why they didn't just tear the damn thing down.

That makes me sad, that site would be good for something, as of right now its just an ugly mess beside our snazzy new rapid transit line.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:33 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I'm pretty sure we've all got the idea by now that you aren't a fan.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:03 AM

I agree with dpenner.

We are fortunate to live in a nation that, while geographically massive, is still liberal and prosperous enough to allow ease of transportation. If you don't dig the burg you're in, it's not that difficult to move. Chicago and New York might present visa issues, but you could still find employment / education in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver to satiate your rail fetish.

I'm a Calgarian who has also lived in Vancouver and Europe. I also moved to Manitoba upon *my own free will* because I think it's fucking awesome out here. I probably wouldn't return to any other city I've lived in any time soon; certainly not just for the transit options.

I'm quite fascinated with mass transit, and I had hoped for an LRT line here in Winnipeg. However, as I stated above, I do think this is a pretty good, albeit tiny, start. I'm getting a tad weary of hearing folks from my adopted home bitch and whine continually about how we lack some services larger centres have. Find a metro area of 800,000 people in the U.S. that 'feels' as urban or cultured as Winnipeg, or has better mass transit options, and I'll buy you a beer.

I'm not saying everything here is perfect. I have my moments of frustration sometimes too. But If I loathed my options, lifestyle, or surroundings as much as some folks seem to, I'd probably get off my ass and move again.

It's really quite simple.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:38 AM

Well said Lenin, well said.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:59 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:

Next lifetime I'm choosing to be born in a BIG city like New York or Chicago.

They have lots and lots and lots of trains of every type...Some above ground some below. Going to the airport, to parks, CBDs.

Commuter, rail-based rapid transit, etc...
Why don't you just move out of your parents basement and go to Toronto or Calgary?

Then you can buy a tiny house on the outskirts, not be able to afford parking downtown and be forced to take the train everyday... after first taking a bus to the station.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree with dpenner.

We are fortunate to live in a nation that, while geographically massive, is still liberal and prosperous enough to allow ease of transportation. If you don't dig the burg you're in, it's not that difficult to move. Chicago and New York might present visa issues, but you could still find employment / education in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver to satiate your rail fetish.

I'm a Calgarian who has also lived in Vancouver and Europe. I also moved to Manitoba upon *my own free will* because I think it's fucking awesome out here. I probably wouldn't return to any other city I've lived in any time soon; certainly not just for the transit options.

I'm quite fascinated with mass transit, and I had hoped for an LRT line here in Winnipeg. However, as I stated above, I do think this is a pretty good, albeit tiny, start. I'm getting a tad weary of hearing folks from my adopted home bitch and whine continually about how we lack some services larger centres have. Find a metro area of 800,000 people in the U.S. that 'feels' as urban or cultured as Winnipeg, or has better mass transit options, and I'll buy you a beer.

I'm not saying everything here is perfect. I have my moments of frustration sometimes too. But If I loathed my options, lifestyle, or surroundings as much as some folks seem to, I'd probably get off my ass and move again.

It's really quite simple.
yeah, as another person who chose to live in Winnipeg (after living in Edmonton and Victoria), the often illogical "hate" of Winnipeg is the thing that frustrates and baffles me the most. love your city people! and if there's something you don't love, try to fix it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:59 AM

there is something infectious about the city, i brought my old gf to winnipeg a bunch of times and she loved everything about it, to the point where after we split she still applied for several internships and positions in the city specifically instead of places around her hometown this from a GTA born and raised girl

anyways enough of my personal history:roll eyes:

my current hometown Ottawa is constructing a massive new LRT development, it will be approx 13 km long with 13 stations, most importantly cutting right through downtown ottawa on rideau street (ottawa equivalent of portage) all it took was 600 million from the feds and another 600 million from the province of ontario
and 900 million from the city......

http://www.ottawalightrail.ca/en/

that being said to my knowledge of the city it looks like a pretty sweet system, although that is a hell of a cost to pay 2.1 billion wow.....o wait Bipole 3 is going to cost about 4 billion...................

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
The reason Sammy won't run is because he hasn't got a plank to stand on and everyone knows that all the rats leave a sinking ship.
Do you always vote for the New Diaper Party like your Mommie does?

Quote:
Anyone in here want to throw their name in the hat?
Kaj Hasselriis...that funny looking "man".

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Do you always vote for the New Diaper Party like your Mommie does?
What? Do you even pay attention to the discussion around here?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
Judging from the map it looks like it will compliment the existing BRT very nicely. The BRT goes north/south (and is awesome based on my handful of visits to Ottawa), LRT goes east/west.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan