HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 9:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Most of those lines are owned by the feds. Most of those lines are used to transport imports and exports, and therefore move the economy. This railyard is something that is used to transport people, and what I'm saying is that residential TOD is less likely to happen as living by railyards is actually something that usually negatively affects the value and livability of the area. Living by a station, on the otherhand, is a different story.
What are you going on about?

CN/CP/Metrolinx owns those lines. Not the feds.

Now, you are also saying that it is not going happen because there is a railyard? Toronto proves that wrong.

Better proof is Vancouver. All of their major development backs on to various rail yards. Those rail yards are what brings goods in and out of Canada.

So, please, show me what you mean by an example in Canada.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 10:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Not a choice one would need to make. They are several orders of magnitude different in terms of cost. And one would be self-supporting financially.
A third bridge (and associated infrastructure) would be considerably more expensive than commuter rail (except if they choose to build a rail tunnel through the downtown core).

There would likely be better cost recovery however with a bridge rather than with rail.

One problem with the bridge option is that you are ending up depositing even more traffic on the peninsula. Where is it all going to go when it gets there??? At least with commuter rail, most of the associated vehicular parking will occur at suburban stations, and hence will stay out of the core.

No one solution is perfect. BRT will be subject to existing congestion on the few access points onto the peninsula. A third bridge will be prohibitively expensive and will contribute to worsening traffic in the core. Fast ferries probably wouldn't have the capacity to make much difference. Commuter rail won't be able to cover all areas.

My preferred solution would be a backbone of commuter rail, skipping the idea of a downtown rail tunnel, but connecting to and supplemented by trolleys on main downtown streets and also fast ferries to improve connections with the Dartmouth side.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:02 PM

Rail yards for assembling trains really suck to live near. I think that happens more here though:

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 7:07 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Rail yards for assembling trains really suck to live near. I think that happens more here though:

i live close to Rockingham yard. its not that loud. I get more noise from clanging containers at Fairview Cove.

Toronto and vancouver both have massive re-devlopment in areas that were former rail yards. that land was freed up by changes in how things are shipped. Halifax doesnt really have excess capacity. what exists now is whats needed to support operations, so its unlikely land can be freed up.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 5:22 AM

Apparently these are on their way to Halifax right now for a display/demonstration on what commuter rail could look like.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Apparently these are on their way to Halifax right now for a display/demonstration on what commuter rail could look like.
They were dropped in Bathurst to do circuit testing on the crossings up there. Yesterday they tested at 10, 25, 40, and 60 MPH north of Bathurst.

Tomorrow, VIA #14 "The Ocean" will be bringing them into Halifax. As of right now, there isn't any plan to test them out of Halifax (that could change), but from what I've heard they will be going back out on the next VIA #15. Couldn't hurt to go down to the station tomorrow after arrival to ask.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
They were dropped in Bathurst to do circuit testing on the crossings up there. Yesterday they tested at 10, 25, 40, and 60 MPH north of Bathurst.

Tomorrow, VIA #14 "The Ocean" will be bringing them into Halifax. As of right now, there isn't any plan to test them out of Halifax (that could change), but from what I've heard they will be going back out on the next VIA #15. Couldn't hurt to go down to the station tomorrow after arrival to ask.
This is promising.

I wonder, if they are jammed packed, what the plan is.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
This is promising.

I wonder, if they are jammed packed, what the plan is.
Contrary to earlier reports, the RDC's are staying in Halifax for a few days. They are parked at the Halifax Station, for anyone who wants to take a peak at them.

There are also some pictures posted on the Atlantic Rails group on Facebook

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 2:55 PM

I like!

Would be great for commuter rail, but I'm wondering if they are planning to eliminate the Ocean run and supplement with these doing short runs within NS and NB.

Hopefully, it's for the Halifax commuter rail service that seems to still be in the planning process.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 3:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I like!

Would be great for commuter rail, but I'm wondering if they are planning to eliminate the Ocean run and supplement with these doing short runs within NS and NB.
There is a transportation discussion thread in the Atlantic Canada section.

VIA intends to supplement the Ocean service (not replace it) with the dayliners. There is a plan to have daily service from Moncton to Halifax and also daily service from Moncton to Campbellton.

I imagine this initial routing is because the passenger rail infrastructure already exists on these routes. If they were going to have a service form Moncton to Saint John (for example), they would have to build a new passenger station, or invest heavily to rehabilitate the old passenger station in Saint John.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 4:23 PM

I really can't these dayliners as any kind of solution. They are big, heavy and old. I know they supposedly have been refreshed or rebuilt but they just look like a poor solution for commuters.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

VIA intends to supplement the Ocean service (not replace it) with the dayliners. There is a plan to have daily service from Moncton to Halifax and also daily service from Moncton to Campbellton.

I imagine this initial routing is because the passenger rail infrastructure already exists on these routes. If they were going to have a service form Moncton to Saint John (for example), they would have to build a new passenger station, or invest heavily to rehabilitate the old passenger station in Saint John.
I am in a town serviced by a Budd car. Station? What is that you speak of? You literally stand beside the track.

So, as long as the track is safe, they could run it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 10:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I am in a town serviced by a Budd car. Station? What is that you speak of? You literally stand beside the track.

So, as long as the track is safe, they could run it.
I doubt that the denizens of the port city would be satisfied huddled by the side of the track in the cold mist and fog waiting for the rail liner to appear.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I doubt that the denizens of the port city would be satisfied huddled by the side of the track in the cold mist and fog waiting for the rail liner to appear.
Check out where the Canadian stops in Sudbury..... Population of Sudbury is about 165,000

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
The nature of commuter rail is most trains are ontime.....and frequent commuters arrive just as their train is appearing. GO and RTM have platform shelters (some stops DO have an adjacent building) and I hope any commuter rail here will use a POP system such as Presto or Opus.....just tap your card as you board or use a ticket purchase App.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I didn't realize that this was happening. I think it's a good thing since VIA cut back on the Ocean to 3 runs/week.

The SJ location might not be so bad as I see that Maritime Bus still uses that location on Station St. as a bus depot, according to their website. It's right next to the tracks so I wouldn't think it should be an issue for dayliner use. Mind you, I haven't been to SJ in a few years if the event that something has changed since then.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 4:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The SJ location might not be so bad as I see that Maritime Bus still uses that location on Station St. as a bus depot, according to their website. It's right next to the tracks so I wouldn't think it should be an issue for dayliner use. Mind you, I haven't been to SJ in a few years if the event that something has changed since then.
Yeah Maritime Bus still uses the building, but if VIA reinstituted a service to SJ, they might still want to upgrade it. Similarly, if a Saint John route was restarted, they would likely also have a stop in Sussex (and possibly Hampton and Petitcodiac), maybe also necessitating station improvements.

FWIW, the Maritime Bus depot in Moncton is also the VIA station, and there is close integration between Maritime Bus and VIA allowing transfers from bus to rail. It seems to work pretty well. Maritime Bus also stops at the Greater Moncton International Airport on the way into Moncton as well

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 4:54 PM

Commuter rail looks like it could get the green light with VIA. This will be discussed at council in December, and it sounds like they are just waiting on CN for the cost and track availability data.

Herald Story (October 18, 2017):
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...et-green-light

District 16 Councillor (November 6th):
Quote:
The IMP (Integrated Mobility Plan) will confirm that it is the best solution for the corridor. We have a willing partner with VIA, but still await data and $ from CN.
https://twitter.com/TimOuthit/status/927651122931798017

Last edited by q12; Dec 3, 2017 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's very encouraging to hear. I'm a big fan regarding the possibility of commuter rail in HRM.

I could see a single route connecting the downtown VIA station to Windsor Junction to begin with (stops in Bedford, Mill Cove, MSVU, HSC and Dalhousie), perhaps expanding in the future to make a real regional commuter rail network extending to Kentville and to Truro.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:42 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure