HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 8:44 PM

Halifax Stanfield International Airport Developments

Found some pics and website for the new parking structure at the airport.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 10:52 PM

I have mixed feelings on this... certainly more parking was needed there and the structure isn't bad as far as those things go. But I have 3 gripes:

First, the interim situation there while the construction is ongoing is a joke. There is virtually no available short-term parking. You have no way to stop, run inside to find someone, and get them out to the vehicle. It's simply impossible.

Second, the park and fly lot is a joke. The shuttle runs infrequently, the lot is a mudhole.

If you're flying for the next little while, you're pretty much forced to take a cab or the hotel bus.

The final gripe is the facility itself. I was there the other day and talk about a mishmash of design! On the outside, you can see each addition over the years, none of which match up with the others. They really need to do a cosmetic refacing of the place to make it look like something other than a bunch of different-era buildings.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 11:55 PM

I like the design of the new parking garage. It looks like it will be really nice, and make u feel more like ur not out in the middle of nowhere. It looks like a nice bridge there in the first rendering.

I agree with u on the face lift. The outside doesn't match the inside at all!

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:11 AM

I like it as well. I think will make a big improvement to the airport. I can't wait to see what the hotel will look like.

I do know what you are saying about not matching though. The whole exterior should be revamped.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 3:00 AM

The airport is a mess.
I was barely able to let my friend off at the main entrance without the scoff of parking natzis---it's ridiculous.
Ended up parking in a rental vehicle space 4 miles from the entrance.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 3:16 AM

I was up there two months ago and it was a complete mess. They turned the exit into a narrow gravel road. The parking lot will help the airport more attractive to use though. With plentiful parking and covered walkways indoors it'll help us keep 1st place in customer satisfaction.

See http://www.brighthost.ca/hsia/ for a map of the final product. In all this project will cost $82 million.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:50 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
See http://www.brighthost.ca/hsia/ for a map of the final product. In all this project will cost $82 million.
Don't you just love how Tim Hortons is the only other thing outside the airport facility that is labeled on that map? lol

Last time I was out there was about a month and a half ago, it was also at night, during a snowstorm, all I got to see was the nice new underground tunnel that has the access right to arrivals/American pre-clearance area, a lot of wooden covered walkways and a big fence with some dirt piles on each side. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I also have to agree, the outside of that building needs some serious, serious attention to its appearance. I'm kind of getting sick and tired of seeing the same old exterior on the outside of that place as when I was 5.....

Perhaps an inquiry from Haligonians For Development is in order?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 11:15 AM

I hate reverse peak roofs like that.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:27 PM

Actually, the airport facade is a planned upgrade once the parking structure and proposed hotel are complete. I believe the intent is to match the new facing on the terminal airside(blue glass) to have a consistent look all around rather than the bolt-on look that it has now.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Actually, the airport facade is a planned upgrade once the parking structure and proposed hotel are complete. I believe the intent is to match the new facing on the terminal airside(blue glass) to have a consistent look all around rather than the bolt-on look that it has now.
So I presume WHW is designing the new facade and parking structure?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Yet the new parking garage doesn't conform to that. Hmmm....

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 11:20 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yet the new parking garage doesn't conform to that. Hmmm....
That seems to be a regular thing when it comes to airports with direct parking facilities, notable recent encounters I've had noticing this have been at Edmonton International and Pearson..... Edmonton's looked like they slapped up a dulled down version of metropark overnight just to meet demand as quickly as possible and totally disregarded any real design thoughts....

Pearson on the other hand, their garage looks like any other typical parking garage anywhere else in Toronto.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 5:00 PM
You talkin' to me?

Partially pertains to the parking structure, so I thought I'd post this here....

Airport hotel call pending

Authority says decision on builder could come within three weeks
By TOM PETERS Business Reporter
Fri. May 2 - 6:38 AM

It could be known within two to three weeks who will build a new hotel at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Michael Healy, the Halifax International Airport Authority’s vice-president of infrastructure and technology, said Thursday that three proposals for a hotel have been reviewed and a recommendation will go the board of directors shortly with an announcement "likely within a few weeks."

The authority’s request for proposals called for a hotel with about 175 rooms that will include some meeting rooms and a small conference centre.

Mr. Healy said the market for the new hotel is mainly business but will also offer amenities for the leisure traveller.

If the board approves the preferred proposal, a contract will be negotiated to develop the hotel. The authority will lease the land to the developer, and construction could start in 2009.

Adjacent to the hotel will be a 2,300-space parking garage, which is now under construction, part of the authority’s $82-million groundside redevelopment program.

The first of about 2,000 concrete pieces that will form a multi-level parking facility have been set in place, and Mr. Healy said the garage will be operational in early 2009.

"The foundations for the parking structure are about half complete, and the precast erection started last week," Mr. Healy said.

Strescon Ltd. of Bedford is erecting the building, and once the initial precast pieces are in place visitors to the airport will likely notice a rapid change in the structure with about 20 precast pieces being put up daily. The structure, which will include rental car facilities, should be complete by October, followed by the completion of the interior.

Another significance piece of the redevelopment project is the roadwork in front of the terminal building. Mr. Healy said the authority appreciates the "understanding of the community" as the work has hindered people moving around the terminal.

Widening of the road in front of the terminal is being done "in order to deal with the arrival of (U.S.) preclearance and changes in the manner passengers are coming to and from the terminal building."

Road work toward the north end of the terminal will include a split curve with a canopied island in the middle.

"We will have canopies over drop-off and pick-up areas so people will be protected from the rain," Mr. Healy said.

The road work will continue through the fall but the area being widened will be completed in a month or so, which will alleviate some of the congestion.

The three tunnels coming from the terminal will connect with a new lower road for picking up arriving passengers. It

Other plans are for a cargo facility and a combined services complex.

Tom Ruth, authority president and CEO, said in his address to the airport’s annual public meeting Thursday that a new cargo facility will be built at the airside subdivision to accelerate cargo growth, which increased in 2007 by 7.4 per cent to nearly 30,000 tonnes.

"We are close to finalizing plans with a developer for the construction of a multi-tenant cargo facility," he said. "Once completed, this modern building will feature a new apron space for aircraft, loading docks plus warehousing and equipment, including refrigeration space."

The combined services complex is designed to house mobile maintenance equipment and a new fire station.

HALIFAX AIRPORT 2007:

Total revenues: $56.6 million

Total expenses: $51.5 million

Retained revenues: $5.1 million

Total passengers: 3,469,062 (record), up 2.7 per cent. Most significant growth in trans-border and international sectors, both up 15.5 per cent over 2006.

Total cargo: Nearly 30,000 tonnes, up 7.4 per cent

Total economic impact of airport and its aviation community: $1.2 billion

Direct employment created by airport: 5,450 full-time jobs.

Wage and salary impact: $411 million.

Tenants: 20 major commercial and industrial, the largest being IMP Group, Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz.

Source: Halifax International Airport Authority

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:36 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Alright guys, updates from the Airport from today!

1) The NSLC between Arrivals and the centre atrium is gone

2) The parking garage is making good progress.

3) Parking is still a mess.

4) They've got new TV's up inside the terminal building showing animations of the finished product that will be Stanfield International when it is all done. The animation shows a very nicely glass clad parking structure, and what I saw in the flythrough animation which was really neat and haven't seen anywhere else yet in any of the renderings was over-road glass pedways connecting the terminal building to the parking garage from what looked to be a second floor?, and what got me- a completely redesigned terminal building!! It looks as though it will be getting a makeover sometime in the near future, and it looked as well that it will be a cross between the back of the building facing the runway and the parking structure. I cant wait.

Now for photos!!

Looking at the terminal building from the check-in end of the building from just outside the construction fence:

Looking right coming out of the terminals centre tunnel:

Looking left:

What is up of the parking structure so far:

From the same spot, at full field of view:

View from about the centre of the building, top road:

The really good part about this whole project, which is smart and will make the building go up a hell of a lot faster is the fact they are constructing the main structure with all pre-fabricated pieces, we had passed about 5 of them coming from Dartmouth:

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:26 AM

If the parking situation there wasn't already bad enough, I imagine that beam blocking the aisle should really play hell with things...

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:39 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
If the parking situation there wasn't already bad enough, I imagine that beam blocking the aisle should really play hell with things...
LOL It was kinda like waiting at a railroad crossing waiting for a really long train....except in this case the train wasn't going anywhere

This is actually one of the floor segments for the parking structure, I thought it was beam too... until I walked up to it for a better look!!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:04 PM
Dartmouth Girl

I totally forgot to stick this in with yesterdays post with all my pictures, but I thought I would chuck it out here today.

They now have a live construction cam of the parking facility offered on the Building Up website!

http://www.building-up.ca/Site/Live_...ction_Cam.html

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 8:36 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I totally forgot to stick this in with yesterdays post with all my pictures, but I thought I would chuck it out here today.

They now have a live construction cam of the parking facility offered on the Building Up website!

http://www.building-up.ca/Site/Live_...ction_Cam.html
whoa, you didnt send that to me yesterday!

Nice find though man

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 1:37 AM

Ah, is that how you get into the terminal now?

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 1:39 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post

Ah, is that how you get into the terminal now?
LOL of course! HSIA Has the latest in magical teleportation systems in place for your convenience!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure