HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Originally I believe that the Halifax and Ottawa terminals were actually more or less the same building. Both airports today handle a similar amount of traffic. Winnipeg's about the same as well, and they have opted to build a new terminal.

Having a fancy terminal is nice but the reality is that it has to be paid for through fees. Toronto's to the point now where it has the highest landing fees in the world (and yet somehow there are still constant problems and delays).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Originally I believe that the Halifax and Ottawa terminals were actually more or less the same building
Interesting. I didn't know that. Of course, I was referring to the new terminal building that opened in 1993. That building is incredibly beautiful and bears no resemblance to Halifax... of course It really is a beautiful building inside. The waterfall... the limestone walls... those Douglas Fir beams that the window mullins hang off of... and just the flow and layout of the space. I love how you can see the check-in area from the secure area... across that large 'open to below' space. The Halifax changes really are 'lipstick on a pig'. But whatever. Gets us where we need to go. Mostly LOL (speaking as someone who was flying yesterday).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 11:07 PM

p.s. The least they could do in Halifax is to get rid of those embarrassing bridge models in the baggage claim area.

Last edited by Takeo; Jan 3, 2009 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
p.s. The least they could do in Halifax is to get rid of those embarrassing bridge models in the baggage claim area.
I agree. It kinda says, "Welcome to Metropolitan Halifax, home of a bridge... a SUSPENSION bridge, ooh, ahh!"

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I agree. It kinda says, "Welcome to Metropolitan Halifax, home of a bridge... a SUSPENSION bridge, ooh, ahh!"
I think it says home of tack. It's the urban equivalent of the 'world's biggest blueberry'. Nothing says world class architectural design like a toy bridge model. How about adding a HO scale train set while we're at it? Or maybe little model airplanes hanging from the ceiling! YAH! They don't have THAT sh*t in Toronto!!! Booyah!!!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 3:07 AM

Maybe they could boost that giant fiddle from the Sydney cruise ship dock and stick it somewhere there... if they could find a space with a high enough ceiling. Talk about cheesy...

I agree, the bridge is a joke.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Maybe they could boost that giant fiddle from the Sydney cruise ship dock and stick it somewhere there... if they could find a space with a high enough ceiling. Talk about cheesy...

I agree, the bridge is a joke.
I was gonna mention that fiddle actually. What a riot. You know it actually has speakers in it and pumps out music in the summer for the tourists? Hilarious.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 3:51 PM

sure, Halifax airport isn't great, but I have seen worse...Miami international airport for example....ewwww....and before Toronto built their new terminal, which was completed in 04' I think, the old terminal 1 and 2....not good..the domestic arrivals in Montreal resembles Halifax...the low ceilings, dull colors and mundane atmosphere....not filthy and dilapidated like Miami however

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 8:42 PM

I've been through the Ottawa airport and it looks really nice especially with the waterfall.

The only airport that I have liked is Fort Lauderdale in Florida but I haven't gone through too many airports in my life.

It appears the higher the cost of airpot fees the worse the customer service. Miami I hear is expensive to go trough and it also has the highest percentage of lost luggage.

BTW if you ever loose your luggage just ask them to look on the tarmac and also make sure they know where you're going. The last time my luggage was lost it went from Florida to Jamaica to US Somewheres to Quebec and eventually back to Halifax.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post

The only airport that I have liked is Fort Lauderdale in Florida but I haven't gone through too many airports in my life.
ya, I've been in that airport...I was so drunk though I don't remember much

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 1:00 AM

this new hotel should help maintain the craptacular image of the Airport as a whole

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 1:48 AM

Well, they couldn't make it more than 7 storeys tall... otherwise airplanes would fly into it... or something... right?

Could be worse, I guess... it could have been the new Best Western in Burnside. It gives "ugly and cheap" a whole new meaning.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, they couldn't make it more than 7 storeys tall... otherwise airplanes would fly into it... or something... right?
Funny you mention that, while I was working on the garage project, the crane was an issue, during times of fog (almost every morning) and a south east wind direction the crane had to be lowered because it brought planes too close to the crane due to the runway needed.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 2:10 AM

Could be worse, I guess... it could have been the new Best Western in Burnside. It gives "ugly and cheap" a whole new meaning.

[/QUOTE]

man, that thing is new?!!!...looks like a reject from 1964

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 2:42 AM

^Well at least they have that hotel hidden in an industrial park.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
sure, Halifax airport isn't great, but I have seen worse...Miami international airport for example....ewwww....and before Toronto built their new terminal, which was completed in 04' I think, the old terminal 1 and 2....not good..the domestic arrivals in Montreal resembles Halifax...the low ceilings, dull colors and mundane atmosphere....not filthy and dilapidated like Miami however

LAX isn't that great eithier. I was there last spring and it looks like it is straight out of the 1970s.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:45 PM
Fizzix geek

My alltime favourite mid-sized airport is the Albuquerque Sunport
http://www.cabq.gov/airport/

Peublo style design... gorgeous central atrium with exposed & decorated timbers, and TONS of aboriginal/southwestern artwork
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abqpubl...7605194464224/

It has such an amazing southwestern feel to it, without the cheesieness factor.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
LAX isn't that great eithier. I was there last spring and it looks like it is straight out of the 1970s.
ya, your right it does...in fact the washrooms in Fiji International Airport are both cleaner and much more modern than LAX...and Fiji is a country of 1 mil people

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 12:01 AM

May not be an airport, but my absolutely favourite terminal/station has to be Union Station in Toronto... I spent a lot of time wandering the various hallways and concourses last time I was there. Had plenty of time waiting for a connecting train.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 2:34 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Ever been to Grand Central Station? It is like a scaled up, nicer Union Station, although I agree that Union Station is also nice. Halifax's train station is a little sad.

LAX just seemed average to me but the security people I happened to get were the worst I have seen anywhere. Extremely slow, rude, and on huge power trips. JFK was pretty good but slow and the quality of the terminals probably varies a lot (there are 9 of them). They have a train that costs only $5 and connects to the $2 subway, which is excellent.

I think Vancouver will have the nicest airport in Canada overall soon. When the Canada Line opens it will have a direct rapid transit connection to the downtown.

Transportation to the airport in Halifax is pretty awful. Getting a taxi is something like $60. I guess shuttles can be found for cheaper but there is NO transit service and the airport is very far out for such a small city. A train from, say, Mumford Terminal to the airport running back and forth a few times a day would of course be very successful but I guess that is off the table for ultimately pointless political reasons.

The domestic arrivals area sucks but it is kind of a low point in the airport. If the whole arrivals area were more like the hall near the entrance by the baggage carousels it would look much nicer, but there are other floors above.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure