HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 3:37 PM

March 12, 2009

Airport Parkade Opens Tonight
Just in Time for March Break

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) will open its new Parkade at 8 p.m. tonight, Thursday, March 12, 2009, in order to help March Break travellers.

“Even though some cosmetic finishes on this new facility are not 100 per cent complete, we feel that we need to bring the Parkade on-line to help with the annual March Break traffic,” says Tom Ruth, HIAA President & CEO. “The systems and people we need to handle cars have been tested sufficiently that we’re prepared to take this step to meet demand. And recognizing that parking at the airport has been a challenge throughout construction, we wanted to get the Parkade ready as soon as possible to thank everyone for their patience,” he adds.

“Wanting to provide this brand new facility in time for March Break was a big motivator for us,” says Michael Healy, HIAA Vice President Infrastructure & Technology. “Even though the weather for the past couple of months has been uncooperative, our contractors pushed on through it all and we appreciate everything they did to make this possible. We’re grateful to everyone who’s worked so hard to get us ready for this peak traffic period.”

The 5-level, 2,300-space Parkade features 1,900 public parking spaces and 400 spaces for rental cars. The rental car operations are expected to relocate to the new facility in a couple of weeks. Until then, they will continue to work from the economy surface lot adjacent to the Parkade.

Travellers selecting the Parkade or economy surface lot will have a variety of payment methods to choose from, including credit card express, cash or debit card, or pay-on-foot at ticket stations located at the Parkade entrances. A new payment option – “MACPASS plus” – will be available soon. (See below.)

For added customer convenience, the exit pay plaza will be staffed 24/7.

COMING SOON – MACPASS Payment Option
MACPASS users, who pay automatically using a credit card, will soon be able to access the new “MACPASS plus” option that will allow them to charge their airport parking to the credit card used to replenish their MACPASS account.

- 30 -

Background Information

Parking Options and Rates

Parkade – Hourly (Short term)
In and out in 30 minutes – No Charge
$4 per hour
No daily maximum

Parkade – Daily (Long term)
$4 per hour
$18 daily maximum
No weekly maximum

Economy Surface Lot Adjacent to Parkade – (Hourly or Daily)
$3 per hour
$14 per day
$70 weekly maximum

Park’N Fly
$11 per day - $10 with coupon
$55 weekly maximum - $50 with coupon
Coupons available at www.parknfly.ca

Payment Methods

All parking payment options apply to both the Parkade and the Economy Lot. The exit Pay Plaza will be staffed 24/7.

Credit Card Express
At the parking area entrance, insert a credit card, then simply insert the same credit card at the exit Pay Plaza. VISA, MasterCard, American Express accepted.

Pay on Foot
Choose this option and take the ticket with you. When you are ready to leave, use one of the “Pay-on-Foot” ticket stations located in the terminal or pedway areas to pay for your parking. The pay stations accept credit cards, debit cards or cash.

MACPASS Plus - Coming Soon
MACPASS customers who pay automatically via credit card will soon be able to use their MACPASS to pay for airport parking at no extra fee. They simply push the “MACPASS plus” option button when entering, and then proceed to parking. Upon exiting via the MACPASS lane, their MACPASS transponder will be read, the gate will automatically open and the cost of parking will be processed through their MACPASS account.

The cost of the airport parking is charged to the credit card used to replenish the MACPASS account and will not affect the prepaid balance used for bridge crossings. Only customers who choose the “MACPASS plus” option when entering will be charged through their MACPASS. Visit www.macpass.com for more information and conditions.

By The Numbers - Parkade Factoids

1,900 public parking spaces

400 rental car spaces

2,300 total Parkade spaces

2,437 more total airport parking spaces

5 levels of parking convenience

13 months to construct

$55 million to build

$82 million for the total project, including roadways, underground services, over-road pedway, and airport terminal building modifications

120 Volunteer hosts and HIAA staff members who volunteered to be Parking Ambassadors, going through training to assist travellers with the new parking system for the first several weeks

1,000+ construction workers*

2,200 pieces of pre-cast concrete

750,000+ person/hours of work*

*estimate

Copyright © 2002, HIAA | Privacy Statement

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 7:18 PM

^Now that sounds nice!

I really like the MACPASS idea and the pedway over the airport looks good according to some pictures I've seen.

I don't think anyone else mentioned this before but for the sixth year in a row HSIA was ranked #1 Airport for its size.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 7:26 PM

sure is great to have this parkade ...don't get me wrong...but $55 mil...man, didn't realise they where so expensive!...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 9:45 PM

Just saw a clip on the news and they said there is the possibility for an office tower after the hotel? Also, the garage has been built for future expansion to the west, I'm sure that's a few years off though. I never heard of either of those when I worked on it, but I saw the expansion area on recent plans.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
sure is great to have this parkade ...don't get me wrong...but $55 mil...man, didn't realise they where so expensive!...
Yeah, I don't understand this either. 2300 spaces for $55 million is $24,000 per spece. That seems ridiculously expensive.

I have never felt that the ratings for HSIA had any credibility. Based on my experience it is a terrible airport.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 12:16 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yeah, I don't understand this either. 2300 spaces for $55 million is $24,000 per spece. That seems ridiculously expensive.

I have never felt that the ratings for HSIA had any credibility. Based on my experience it is a terrible airport.
best airport I've ever dealt with...

I find NYC's JFK to be an atrocity for customer service, and is the worst airport I've ever had to deal with.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 10:50 PM

I just can't understand how a new parkade is attracting so much media attention.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I just can't understand how a new parkade is attracting so much media attention.
Welcome to Halifax and Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Welcome to Halifax and Nova Scotia.
New Tourism NS Slogan.. "Come to Nova Scotia. See the Parkade!"

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 4:35 AM

Hey, it's just nice to see things get built here.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 1:53 PM

Its just so funny. I heard a spokesperson from HIAA talking about it on CBC yesterday, and he was effusing over how spectacular it truly is. He said that its many "soccerfields" of parking, but most impressive when viewed from the air. The parking structure is wider than the terminal building (roadside to airside) and almost half the length (arrivals to departures). He also made some weird reference to it being like an Egyptian temple???

Hmmm. Methinks it's NOT something to boast about. This may say more about our diminutive hacked together terminal than our impressive Pharaoh-bestowed parkade.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Hmmm. Methinks it's NOT something to boast about. This may say more about our diminutive hacked together terminal than our impressive Pharaoh-bestowed parkade.
I was looking forward to the design consolidation that was supposed to take place after the hotel went up, but I'm guessing that's been put on hold as well?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Changes ongoing at Halifax airport
We’ll see ‘distinctive structural changes to the terminal’s façade’
By Carol Dobson
Fri. Jan 30 - 4:47 AM
Those traveling along Highway 104 will also notice land being cleared for a new..."
Ummm...Highway 104????? Well goodness gracious me...I didn't realize the airport was that big.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 6:31 PM

It's good to see so much happening at the airport. Last time I was there it was early fall of 2007 and though I liked the interior I didn't like the rental car set up.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 5:56 PM

Some photos from this morning

This mesh is extremely rigid, and will give no more than 1 or 2 inches if you push on it.

Entrance to fully enclosed walkway (not yet open).

(my photos)

Last edited by alps; Apr 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:08 PM

^Looking good. I really like the glass on the skywalk and on the side of the parkade.

Now just do some landscaping, build the hotel and plant some trees and it will look world-class.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:52 PM

I'm loving the side with the woven concrete look, very nice!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^Looking good. I really like the glass on the skywalk and on the side of the parkade.

Now just do some landscaping, build the hotel and plant some trees and it will look world-class.
Add the new facade, THEN it will look world class!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 11:36 AM

It's all come together pretty good. Apparently there is a a slight issue with the wire guardrail setup they have though. Behind the mesh they have three cables strung between each column to act as a guardrail and the top one is aprroximately 2-3 feet off the ground. Just before it was opened, one of the contractors backed his truck into a spot along the outer wall and becasue it was a friday he was in a rush to leave. So he pulled out of the spot, but unknown to him he backed up far enough so his trailer hitch got snagged under one of the cables. Apparently they had some give but once he let off the gas it pulled him right back. I'm not sure if they've put up signs for this yet.

Also, while I was working there I had herd rumors that the final design called for a new return road to be built that would connect up to the area by the Petro Canada. Yesterday I was looking at the website for the company that did the design work and came across this:

Source

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
It's all come together pretty good. Apparently there is a a slight issue with the wire guardrail setup they have though. Behind the mesh they have three cables strung between each column to act as a guardrail and the top one is aprroximately 2-3 feet off the ground. Just before it was opened, one of the contractors backed his truck into a spot along the outer wall and becasue it was a friday he was in a rush to leave. So he pulled out of the spot, but unknown to him he backed up far enough so his trailer hitch got snagged under one of the cables. Apparently they had some give but once he let off the gas it pulled him right back. I'm not sure if they've put up signs for this yet.

Also, while I was working there I had herd rumors that the final design called for a new return road to be built that would connect up to the area by the Petro Canada. Yesterday I was looking at the website for the company that did the design work and came across this:

Source
The master plan prepared back in 2004 shows the ultimate design plan for the airport. The maps shows different road, terminal and parkade configurations based on different growth projections. It even includes the possibility of a 3rd runway.

http://www.hiaa.ca/images/pdf_files/...%20Summary.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure