HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 12:25 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

Personally; I support the increase - it's been a while and the bridges do need maintenance, but I suspect you'll see the ridership on Metro Transit increase too - as more people take the bus.
Great point. You know, 20 to 25cents doesn't seem like much but you add that up with increasing gas prices and it will become cheaper to ride the bus. Hopefully bus fares stay where they are for awhile. Bus toll is not expected to change so it doesn't give Metro Transit an excuse to up fares. I would like to know if I'm the only one who thinks that Metro Transit shouldn't be paying tolls on the bridge period.

Last edited by Jstaleness; Jan 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:13 PM

i suppose i will put this here.......
Quote:
Councillor proposes Halifax road tolls

Transit improvement must come first: Hendsbee

A councillor in the Halifax area says new road tolls in the city may help reduce traffic congestion on the peninsula.

Coun. David Hendsbee raised the issue in front of colleagues and city staff on Thursday evening at Halifax Regional Council's first session of its standing committee on transportation.

He said the idea of road tolls is included in the transportation demand management plan, a newly-created blueprint for reducing traffic congestion by promoting transit, carpooling, biking and walking.

"Basically to have an opportunity to tax vehicles coming in and out of the capital district area," Hendsbee told CBC News.

The councillor for Preston-Lawrencetown-Chezzetcook said it's not fair for commuters coming from the eastern part of the municipality to continue to pay a bridge toll to cross the Halifax Harbour, while commuters from the western side of the municipality pay nothing.

He said the best place to put road tolls would be on the eight bridges — including one on Quinpool Road — that span the railway cut on the Halifax peninsula.

"It's the only effective way to try to control the traffic in and out of the downtown core, but it's also the last piece of the puzzle," said Hendsbee.

"We should be having all the other parts of the plan in place first, be it the bikeways, be it the Park and Ride sites, be it the transit — the express and regular service — so that way, people have an option."

CN Rail and the Halifax Regional Municipality are in discussion about the repairs and ongoing maintenance of the bridges over the rail cut.

"If CN was to transfer those ownerships to the municipality or to a transit authority or to the province, one way to help pay for the maintenance would be assistance through tolling," said Hendsbee

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...oad-tolls.html

uhhh are they crazy? this would definitely help in keeping people like me away from downtown. i agree that the bridges need to be fixed, and transit more used but this isnt the way to get that if you ask me.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 5:45 PM
Honored Member

I agree with the concept of discouraging cars in the downtown core but I wonder if there aren't better ways to do it than with peninsula road tolls. One way is to increase the bridge tolls even more (to about $1.50) but have a truly rapid transit system operating on the Dartmouth side of the two Harbour Bridges. This could use buses but they would have to operate with short waiting times (5 - 10 minutes maximum) and get to the downtown Halifax core very quickly so that people will be encouraged to park their cars on the Dartmouth side and then take the rapid transit. I would also like to see a North West Arm tunnel and that could have tolls.

On the Halifax side there should be park and ride locations outside the core whereby people can park and take Bus Rapid Transit into the core.

I think that growth should be encouraged on the Halifax side so that massive amounts of money won't be required for a 3rd harbour bridge.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:28 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

There is already so many people complaining about the cost of parking downtown. I wonder how these people are going to react when they'd have to pay just to get downtown? This is a very general statement but wouldn't this move cause more suburbanization?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:32 PM

I think that it would. By putting road tolls to get onto the peninsula you would be segregating it from the rest of the city essentially.
There was a really funny comment in the herald today they had a comment from some guy who said. "I don't think they should have bridge tolls, people who use bedford highway don't have to pay tolls."

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 3:04 PM

The idea of tolls for coming onto the peninsula comes from one of the most moronic councillors (Hendsbee) and accordingly is a moronic idea. There already is a toll -- the bridge toll. The way the city is laid out geographically you have to come onto the peninsula if you are traveling from the east to west or vice versa. You are just passing through. How else are you supposed to go from Dartmouth to Bayers Lake, for example? Perhaps he is proposing toll plazas at the corner of Barrington and Cogswell and others at entry places surrounding the downtown core. That is simply ridiculous. We don't have a real traffic problem or a downtown parking problem. We have minor choke points that could be easily fixed with some intelligent road design and minor investment.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 4:21 PM

Despite toll increase, bridges still owe N.S.

Halifax-Dartmouth bridge tolls to go up April 1
Hearing for bridge toll increase begins

The agency that oversees the bridges owes about $53 million, down from $123 million in 2007. That debt — some of which was incurred to build a third lane on the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge in 1999 — was financed through the province.

The bridges that cross Halifax harbour were discussed before a committee at the Nova Scotia legislature on Wednesday.

Wayne Mason, the vice-chair of the board of commissioners for the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission, was asked if the bridges would ever be paid off.

"Will they ever be paid for? Not in the foreseeable future. Will we ever be out of debt? Not in the foreseeable future," he said.

Both the Angus L. Macdonald and A. Murray MacKay bridges are due for major retrofits.

The Macdonald Bridge is scheduled to have its deck replaced in about four years — a job that could cost as much as $200 million and take 18 months to complete.

The MacKay Bridge will have similar work done in about 12 years. That upgrade is expected to cost as much as $350 million.

"Just when you see the $60 million getting down and you're going to say, 'Well, we're out of debt and that's paid off,' we do have this redecking project," said Mason.

In April, commuters started paying $1 per crossing to help pay for the work. It works out to an increase of 25 cents.

Mason said the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission is looking at issuing bonds to help raise the money needed to pay for the work on the Macdonald Bridge.

Steve Snider, the CEO and general manager of the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission, said he doesn't know if other increases are likely.

Future increases
"We have this major project coming up. We did make an application and the toll increase has been granted and that toll increase will serve us for this project," said Snider.

He was also asked if the commission will apply for another increase.

"I don't know. I can't say never, but right now what we have received is going to serve us for the project we have," Snider responded.

"There's no plans or intentions on any other increase."

Those responsible for the bridges said there's little more they can do to ease congestion. Ten years ago, the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission requested a study to determine what it could do to encourage people to not use the bridges so much.

Mason said the conclusion wasn't encouraging.

"The study showed that substantial change in demand would only occur if a very significant increase in tolls were applied," he said.

"A 500 per cent increase in tolls to bridge tolls would result in a bridge demand reduction of only 15 per cent."

Mason said there are no plans to further increase the tolls on the bridge

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:04 PM

It is utter nonsense for these officials to claim they can do nothing to alleviate congestion. The problem with congestion is not ON the bridges; it is getting to them and away from them. The approaches and toll gates on either side on both bridges are atrocious, and especially on the Macdonald. Why are not all tollgates except one in each direction MacPass only? Why has the "funnel" on the Dartmouth side of the Macdonald not been widened to eliminate the bottleneck as you approach the tolls? Why has nothing been done to move traffic through the Wyse Rd intersection more efficiently? And on the MacKay, why are we still saddled with the atrocious Windsor St exchange? Changes to these areas would move traffic far more efficiently and quickly. I do not find these HDBC officials very convincing nor do they inspire much confidence.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:05 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is utter nonsense for these officials to claim they can do nothing to alleviate congestion. The problem with congestion is not ON the bridges; it is getting to them and away from them. The approaches and toll gates on either side on both bridges are atrocious, and especially on the Macdonald. Why are not all tollgates except one in each direction MacPass only? Why has the "funnel" on the Dartmouth side of the Macdonald not been widened to eliminate the bottleneck as you approach the tolls? Why has nothing been done to move traffic through the Wyse Rd intersection more efficiently? And on the MacKay, why are we still saddled with the atrocious Windsor St exchange? Changes to these areas would move traffic far more efficiently and quickly. I do not find these HDBC officials very convincing nor do they inspire much confidence.
I agree with you on many of the changes you suggest, but a big part of the problem is lack of overlap in terms of mandates.

The only thing on that list that is within the HDBC's mandate is the setup of tolling booths.

They have zero input or ability effect change in terms of the surface roads like Windsor exchange. I know I sound like a broken record, but this city bloody needs an over-riding transport authority that can think and act "big picture". Changes to the road structure around Wyse Rd that you suggested, and changes to mass transport that Someone123 suggested on another thread would both have significant impact.

The HDBC, roads, and mass transport are 3 separate agencies with 3 separate mandates, and that is at the root of many of the transportation problems in this city.

Last edited by beyeas; Jun 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 8:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, it's crazy that one entity is responsible for bridges, another for roads, another for transit. We never see real comparisons between different transportation options because each agency is focused on empire building.

Similarly because councillors vote on little transportation projects (e.g. Chebucto Road, Washmill, the Dartmouth bus terminal debacle) everything is polarized/politicized.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 6:19 AM

This is from an article posted earlier this month by Haligonian88 in the Burnside thread; the article is about a steelworks company but the last paragraph just caught my attention:
Quote:

"And then, of course, the Macdonald bridge is going to be coming out to bid here in probably the next two years,” Ross said. “That’s something in the range of a $200-million project.”
Does he mean that the bridge is likely to be replaced within the next couple years? Or does it cost that much just to maintain? Either way, that's a lot of money.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 6:25 AM

^It's probably the deck replacement project slated for 2014. It's a huge construction project requiring long-term closures of the MacDonald and it was the reason for the increases in toll fares last year.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^It's probably the deck replacement project slated for 2014. It's a huge construction project requiring long-term closures of the MacDonald and it was the reason for the increases in toll fares last year.
Wasn't the entire deck redone not too Long ago ? 12 years max...... I think

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:07 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
Wasn't the entire deck redone not too Long ago ? 12 years max...... I think
I believe they added the 3rd lane in 1999 and I think a resurfacing was done at that time as well.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
opinionated so and so

The last project replaced the deck, making it three lanes, upgrading lights and signage and the toll plaza, and adding the sidewalk and bike lanes hanging outside the strand cables (the straight up and down cables).

The next project is describe on the HHB website: https://www.hdbc.ca/construction.asp
Quote:
Macdonald Bridge suspended span redecking project - 2015
In early 2015 the largest project since the building of the MacKay Bridge in 1970 will begin, the replacement of the suspended spans of the Macdonald Bridge. The design work is taking place now and the on-site work will begin in early 2015 and end in late 2016.

When the third lane on the Macdonald Bridge was added, the deck on the approach spans was replaced as well. At this time it was estimated the suspended span deck had another 15 years of life. The bridge remains very safe, however, the work will be done before it becomes a critical project.
The project includes: replacing the road deck, floor beams, stiffening trusses and suspender ropes on the suspended spans of the Macdonald Bridge. When this project is complete, a significant amount of the bridge infrastructure will be new.

This project is expected to cost approximately $200 million dollars, and because it is only the second time a project of this nature has been completed, it will attract worldwide attention.

The cost associated with this project is the reason HHB requested, and the NSUARB granted , a toll increase in 2011. With strong fiscal management, decreasing interest rates and increasing revenue HHB was able to avoid a toll increase for almost 20 years.
Building a third bridge was quoted at $1.1-1.6 billion.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
The last project replaced the deck, making it three lanes, upgrading lights and signage and the toll plaza, and adding the sidewalk and bike lanes hanging outside the strand cables (the straight up and down cables).

The next project is describe on the HHB website: https://www.hdbc.ca/construction.asp

Building a third bridge was quoted at $1.1-1.6 billion.
Hmmm that's interesting, I am surprised they did not do that when they resurface the deck last time

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:21 AM

Lane Jumpers

Accidents on the bridges are becoming more frequent and nothing is being done to address the main cause; lane swapping during peak hours.

There are signs posted saying to remain in one lane. I assume the reason they are not enforced is because the bridge commission does not want to pay an employee to montior cameras.

What if the city paid a portion of the cost for the sake of more efficient traffic flow? I am sure the insurance companies would even consider subsidizing that somehow as they must be paying trhough the nose lately anyway.

There is no excuse for the lack of enforcement of road regulations on the bridges. Many of these people who suddenly jump lanes in a bug hurry to get through ahead of everyone else, cause accidents behind them that they then drive away from. It's all on camera everyday, and yet they continue to get away with it.

Where is the enforcement? Where are the officials who should be addressing this safety concern? It happens day after day, with accidents two or three times a week causing traffic jams and tying up the city. Where are the people who are supposed to oversee this sort of civic problem?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 2:38 PM

The biggest issues with the bridges are the poor road infrastructure at either end and the toll plazas. Eliminate the toll plaza merge as much as you possibly can and a lot of the trouble goes away. Fix the exits from the bridges and the cause of sudden stops on the spans goes away, which IMO is the root cause of most of the incidents.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 2:52 PM
Watching & Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiefrost View Post
Accidents on the bridges are becoming more frequent and nothing is being done to address the main cause; lane swapping during peak hours.

There are signs posted saying to remain in one lane. I assume the reason they are not enforced is because the bridge commission does not want to pay an employee to montior cameras.

What if the city paid a portion of the cost for the sake of more efficient traffic flow? I am sure the insurance companies would even consider subsidizing that somehow as they must be paying trhough the nose lately anyway.

There is no excuse for the lack of enforcement of road regulations on the bridges. Many of these people who suddenly jump lanes in a bug hurry to get through ahead of everyone else, cause accidents behind them that they then drive away from. It's all on camera everyday, and yet they continue to get away with it.

Where is the enforcement? Where are the officials who should be addressing this safety concern? It happens day after day, with accidents two or three times a week causing traffic jams and tying up the city. Where are the people who are supposed to oversee this sort of civic problem?
As a claims adjuster for a local insurer, I can tell you that I have never had a claim in the last 5 years because of lane changes. It is always people following too closely and rear-ending another driver.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:38 PM

claims adjuster???

you are kidding me, right?? Please tell me that you are kidding me????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure