HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenbastard View Post
mackay: Old new bridge
macdonald: New old bridge
yes!!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:45 PM

Unless I am very mistaken it appears that the HDBC is spending a bunch of toll revenue on landscaping the interior areas of the Windmlill Rd/111 interchange ramp loops. I am of two minds on this. While I do not like the overgrown weed-infested appearance these areas typically have in this province, I'm unsure how this became a priority.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:54 AM

Well Keith it may be a public safety issue as I have almost run into Deer in that section of highway at least three times. The bush is a great place to hide for a curious Venison.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Well Keith it may be a public safety issue as I have almost run into Deer in that section of highway at least three times. The bush is a great place to hide for a curious Venison.
Perhaps that is it. Many other places could use similar care. The roadsides of most of our 100-series highways are sadly neglected.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:12 PM

A very dangerous new development on the horizon:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...bridge-358547/

Quote:

Halifax commuters may be stalled at the Macdonald bridge during their morning rush-hour commute next week.

Extinction Rebellion Nova Scotia, an environmental group pressuring governments to act on the climate crisis, plans to take over the Macdonald bridge on Oct. 7 as part of Extinction Rebellion Canada’s nationwide #BridgeOut campaign.

“The theme is bridge out because right now the bridge to the future is out,” Patrick Yancey, member of the Extinction Rebellion, said in an interview Monday.

The group plans to start the blockade at 7 a.m. and will go on for as long as possible, Yancey said.

In April, Extinction Rebellion members held peaceful protests at four different sites in London, England, including the Waterloo Bridge, for about a week. More than 600 people were arrested.

“Specific people involved will, of course, be planning on doing civil disobedience and getting arrested on Monday,” said Yancey.

In May, Yancey and another member of Extinction Rebellion were arrested for blocking an SUV when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was in Antigonish, but later released without charges.

“If you’ve been involved in the environmental movement, you’ve probably been doing petitions and flyering and marches for decades and they’ve just ignored all of that, essentially,” Yancey said.

“This escalation of tactics is the minimum of what’s necessary to give young people - and I have children so I’m thinking about them - the best shot at a livable planet because we’ve already gone past the point where we can guarantee them that.”

Extinction Rebellion Nova Scotia is demanding the stoppage of work on the Alton Gas site, holding the deadline for the closure of the Boat Harbour pipe and ending coal and other fossil fuel plants by 2021.

“We just hope this helps jolt our decision makers out of their kind of stupor that they’ve been in and get them to take some action on the climate crisis,” Yancey said.

Yancey acknowledged commuters will be frustrated by the commute disruption, but said it’s a small price to pay.

“They should absolutely not have to be dealing with this and we’re very sorry that their commute has to be disrupted like this,” Yancey said.

“This disruption, though, is really minor compared to the kinds of disruptions we’re going to see with the climate crisis. We view this as a minor disruption now that can hopefully stave off cataclysmic disruptions later and even human extinction.”

Extinction Rebellion has halted traffic before, temporarily blocking off the Armdale Rotary, and doesn’t plan to stop “shutting down business as usual” until they’re heard.

“We won’t be letting up until we feel like they’re doing what they can to give the next generation a good shot at a livable planet,” Yancey said.

“We hope to keep escalating until they listen and unite behind the science.”

Time to mobilize public safety organizations, not just the police riot squad but also perhaps the military. This type of action cannot be tolerated or permitted. From the statements by the leaders - "we hope to keep escalating" - of this extremist group it would not be outside the realm of possibility for them to try to damage or destroy the bridge.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:44 PM

The problem with activities like this, is that it mostly just creates bad feelings and doesn't lead to actual changes. The group is viewed as extremists who just want to make trouble, and their cause is lost.

And, their goals seem a little over ambitious... "ending coal and other fossil fuel plants by 2021". Sorry, it's just not that easy. The movement is towards eliminating coal/fossil fuel plants but it has to be replaced with something. Maybe they might want to focus on places where it's a real problem, like China? https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...-2030-climate/ Perhaps they should be blocking some main arterials in Beijing...

I sure hope that no emergency vehicles get caught up in these shenanigans, resulting in the death of an innocent person...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
A very dangerous new development on the horizon:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...bridge-358547/

Time to mobilize public safety organizations, not just the police riot squad but also perhaps the military. This type of action cannot be tolerated or permitted. From the statements by the leaders - "we hope to keep escalating" - of this extremist group it would not be outside the realm of possibility for them to try to damage or destroy the bridge.
Interesting Keith, I wonder which side of the Bridge they are going to try to block? The Dartmouth Side will of course cause the most disruption and the Halifax side is too close to Stads side entrance. The police should only permit these folks to protest on the old NSLC site behind the construction fence. Come over the fence go to jail.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Interesting Keith, I wonder which side of the Bridge they are going to try to block? The Dartmouth Side will of course cause the most disruption and the Halifax side is too close to Stads side entrance. The police should only permit these folks to protest on the old NSLC site behind the construction fence. Come over the fence go to jail.
Since they are likely being Soros funded I say arrest them and charge them to the fullest extent of the law. Might as well make a little money from his shenanigans.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:05 PM

Well, the trumpeted number of 600 protesters turned out to be about 40 crazies, but that didn't stop HRM from totally bending over and making the morning commute hellish for thousands. HRM Police blocked the entire bridge for hours and would not let pedestrians or cyclists cross either. So the biggest hazard faced by citizens was from the police.

This is a good snapshot of what the protesters were like:

https://twitter.com/HEINTZMANEWS957/...64344983330816

While the cyclist exhibited considerable restraint and wasn't as self-entitled and obnoxious as they often are, the protesters on the other hand demonstrated utterly clueless zealotry and were quite offensive to her. I am reminded of how easily youth are led to believe that things are black and white and that they fully understand things that in truth are very complex indeed. If their views are being obtained through the education system this is very troubling.

The entire response by leadership of HRPD and HHB, along with any direction they may have received from govts or political figures, needs to be examined closely to ensure this sort of debacle is not repeated.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:35 PM

Crossed the Mackay Bridge this morning that bad at all.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 5:00 PM

There were some traffic backups this morning, but nothing approaching the level of anarchy and disaster that I'm sure the protestors were hoping for. Perhaps they didn't realize that the city has already been well-versed in Macdonald Bridge closures over the past few years? It seemed like: "oh, the Macdonald is closed again... OK, let's go to plan B...".

Regarding the police closing the entire bridge, I don't think it's unreasonable, given that they were not allowing the protesters to pass the tolls and actually populate the bridge (perhaps worried about angry protestors trying to permanently damage the bridge so that it would be closed for a longer time?)

It seems to me that if they closed off the span to keep protestors off, but kept bicycle and pedestrian lanes open, it wouldn't take long for the protesters to figure out that they could get onto the span using these access points, and perhaps injure themselves trying to climb fences etc to occupy the vehicle lanes...

Basically, when the bridge is closed, it's closed for everybody. Fair enough.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Regarding the police closing the entire bridge, I don't think it's unreasonable, given that they were not allowing the protesters to pass the tolls and actually populate the bridge (perhaps worried about angry protestors trying to permanently damage the bridge so that it would be closed for a longer time?)

It seems to me that if they closed off the span to keep protestors off, but kept bicycle and pedestrian lanes open, it wouldn't take long for the protesters to figure out that they could get onto the span using these access points, and perhaps injure themselves trying to climb fences etc to occupy the vehicle lanes...

Basically, when the bridge is closed, it's closed for everybody. Fair enough.
Yes, I get that, but that is not what was stated for the past week. So you had people showing up expecting to be able to walk across or (god forbid) use the bike lane only to be disappointed. But this is why the entire protest should have been preemptively shut down before it even started.

I note with interest that the ringleader, Patrick Yancey, is from Antigonish, so he presumably had to drive here for this. He is from Atlanta and has also lived in the Netherlands, South Korea and Spain. All that travel must have generated a lot of CO2.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 9:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I note with interest that the ringleader, Patrick Yancey, is from Antigonish, so he presumably had to drive here for this. He is from Atlanta and has also lived in the Netherlands, South Korea and Spain. All that travel must have generated a lot of CO2.
I would assume that like Greta Thunberg he had a team of international yacht builders come together to make him a multimillion dollar sailing ship to cut down on the environmental impact.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I would assume that like Greta Thunberg he had a team of international yacht builders come together to make him a multimillion dollar sailing ship to cut down on the environmental impact.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, I get that, but that is not what was stated for the past week. So you had people showing up expecting to be able to walk across or (god forbid) use the bike lane only to be disappointed. But this is why the entire protest should have been preemptively shut down before it even started.

Not to mention all the unnecessary CO2 emitted to the atmosphere this morning as all those cars and trucks idled in the artificially created traffic jam on the 111. Apparently a lot of vehicles bypassed the bridges today and drove around the basin through Bedford... traffic was lined up to the top of Dartmouth Road going inbound. Overall, there wasn't traffic mayhem, but certainly the carbon footprint of today's protest would have been fairly high... I wonder if they bought carbon credits like Trudeau has with his fleet of jets...

https://twitter.com/hfxtraffic?lang=en

Yup. Well done.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 4:33 PM
hi

A new New Bridge may be required by 2040.

As MacKay Bridge nears end of its lifespan, N.S. eyes replacement or repair
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...toll-1.6814240

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 5:08 AM

This is great! We will finally be able to call it the "new bridge" with a clear conscience!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 6:26 PM

Financial Measures (2024) Act announced today is proposing:

Quote:
authorizing Halifax Harbour Bridges to collect licence plate information and allowing the commission and Registry of Motor Vehicles to share plateholder information, which will allow for modernization of toll systems on the Macdonald and MacKay bridges and pave the way for removing toll booths
https://news.novascotia.ca/en/2024/0...act-introduced

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Financial Measures (2024) Act announced today is proposing:

https://news.novascotia.ca/en/2024/0...act-introduced
This is very encouraging, if long overdue. It's frustrating to realize that HHB has been looking at this since at least 2017. (The engineering firm AECOM submitted its report in late 2019, with a forecast project completion by the start of 2022.)

We're still likely years away, given that changes to the road network and toll plazas will have to be completed. And UARB has to approve changes to the fare system and that, as far as I know, has yet to happen.

Here's what the AECOM report proposed for the Macdonald approaches:

And for the MacKay approaches:

Artist rendering of the proposed MacKay approaches following removal of the toll plaza:

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 9:59 PM

Interestingly, the Commissionaires declined to bid on the tollbooth staffing contract for the first time in 60+ years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure