HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:26 PM

Highway 107 Upgrades (Burnside Expressway) | U/C

Some excellent news out of the Burnside News this month. The Burnside Expressway has been needed for a long time. Funnelling all of the traffic from Bedford and Sackville and beyond onto a four lane highway with stop lights and a lower speed at the end is just not acceptable. Its not uncommon for traffic inbound to line up up Magazine Hill into Bedford all the way to Ridgevale Road. Being a resident of Eaglewood I can say that the traffic caused by this funnelling is absurd. Getting out of my neighbourhood at rush hour can take upwards of ten minutes on a normal day.

THe Expressway goes something like this (I'll see if I can find a map tonight);

From the 107/118 Interchange the new highway will stretch westward to north of Akerley Blvd. The existing Akerley Road will meet with the new highway in a half clover-leaf interchange. Burnside Drive will be extended northwards and intersect with the new highway in a half interchange. The highway will curve northwards towards Anderson Lake. The highway will pass east of Anderson Lake and intersect with Rocky Lake Road at Duke St (Glendale Ave).

This is spectulation on my part but I imagine the highway will be four lanes divided possibly with animal fencing (deer crashes are frequent on Magazine Hill and in Burnside). Construction will probably also include upgrades to Burnside Drive, Rocky Lake Road, Exit 4C on Highway 102, and the Duke Street/Glendale Ave corridor.

Burnside Expressway starts construction in 2011
BURNSIDE
STEPHEN CLARE
The Burnside News

The Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal has finally committed to a route and timeline for the construction of the long anticipated, much delayed Burnside Expressway.

The Expressway, or Highway 107 Extension as the government prefers to call it, will connect through to Bedford’s Duke Street and Sackville’s Glendale Drive. The Expressway is expected to begin construction in 2011 and be completed within a 12-month period.

“Aside from a few minor snags, we have been moving in leaps and bounds,” says Dwayne Cross, senior highway planning engineer for the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal.

Cross points out that the first phase of the project is nearly complete.

“The design study has been broken down into three parts; the traffic component is finished and the impact study on Highway 102 is almost complete. However, we’re awaiting a cost-benefit analysis on the Highway 107 before signing off on the paperwork.”

The Expressway will be a vital link between Burnside and Bedford/Sackville and has long been considered by many as the missing piece in the Park’s infrastructure puzzle.

“There’s no doubt that folks have been waiting on this project for a very long time,” Cross admits.

The most recent announcement of the project came in a 2007 Speech from the Throne, under a loosely worded sub-section that will see an array of road work designed and developed across the province in the coming years. The Expressway has been identified as being a key component of the Atlantic Gateway Strategy, as it will help reduce truck congestion to and from both businesses in the Burnside area and the Port of Halifax.

The thoroughfare is also expected to ease traffic in and around the Magazine Hill district and provide faster access to and from the Park for both residents and workers.

“This is certainly going to make a big difference to people who commute into the Burnside area every day,” says Nancy Sweeney, chair of the Greater Burnside Business Association. “The traffic en route can be quite slow at times, especially when there’s bad weather.”

John McCormack agrees. The 45-year-old insurance agent drives to and from his workplace on Wright Avenue every weekday and has done so for nearly 15 years.

“I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been late for work because of the congestion of cars,” he says. “I leave my house in Bedford at 7:30 a.m. and sometimes I don’t make it into the office until after 9 a.m.”

Cross expects the new Expressway will change all that.

“Traveling time will be cut down for drivers coming in from Bedford/Sackville to about 15 to 20 minutes on most days,” he says. “Now people will have to come up with other excuses to tell their boss.”

Starting this February, Cross and his peers will be holding the first in a series of open-door public consultations about the project.

“I’m always amazed at how responsive and engaged people can be at these sessions,” Cross says. “Having them involved with the process is extremely important and we’re looking forward to getting their input

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 10:19 PM

I couldn't find a map of it i can post here so instead using an old map I have saved I copied it roughly onto my Downtown Developments Collection on Microsoft Live.

EDIT: Mod's there is another thread on this topic so you might want to merge the threads since I have some information that the other doesn't have.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 10:29 PM
You talkin' to me?

it says your developments map no longer exists when I try it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 10:59 PM

Damn I thought i fixed that problem. Does anyone happen to know how to fix it?

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 8:41 PM

I think this article is a little better in describing the benefits of the project and it includes the cost;

Burnside Expressway project could begin in 2011
JENNIFER TAPLIN, METRO HALIFAX
January 07, 2009 02:00

There might be a light at the end of the tunnel for the Burnside Expressway.

The project, which would provide a valuable alternative to Magazine Hill, could be construction-ready by 2011.

The project has been ongoing for about 15 to 20 years, delayed by changes of government and priorities.

“The missing piece of the puzzle there is funding,” said Dwayne Cross, a senior highway planning engineer. “We don’t have funding established for it yet.”

The route, planned out years ago, will be hammered down in the next month.

“Once we complete that functional design, we’ll be moving into the environmental assessment process,” Cross said.

Then a public consultation will be coming in mid-February.

The $100-million project has three phases, and the first phase will likely be completed by late 2012.

“The first phase would be an extension of Burnside Drive over to Duke Street,” Cross said.

When Magazine Hill, with its 30,000 cars a day, gets congested — or even further backed up when there’s an accident — drivers will be able to take this extension instead of going out to Fall River to avoid the traffic.

“There is a lot of interest in seeing this project get started,” Cross said.

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:10 PM

PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSIONS

The Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (NSTIR) and Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) are exploring the future best use of the Bayers Road / Highway 102 Corridor from Windsor Street, Halifax to Fall River. The study includes traffic projections and functional designs that could be implemented in stages over a 30-year period. The location of the proposed Highway 107 from Akerley Blvd in Burnside to Highway 102 near Duke Street (Exit 4C) has also been updated and evaluated. The study was conducted by Stantec Consulting on behalf of NSTIR and HRM. Two public information sessions will be held to present the findings of the study and the functional design of the roadways and interchanges:

(1) Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at the St. Andrew’s Centre, 6955 Bayer’s Road, Halifax, from 6pm to 9pm with a presentation at 6:30pm.

(2) Thursday, February 12, 2009 at the LeBrun Community Centre, 36 Holland Avenue, Bedford from 6pm to 9pm with a presentation at 6:30pm.

NSTIR, HRM and Consultant staff will be in attendance at the public information session to discuss the study and answer questions. If you have questions regarding the upcoming sessions, please contact Bernadette Landry, P. Eng at 434-7331 or by e-mail.

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 3:01 AM

You should add the new highways on your google compilation map.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
You should add the new highways on your google compilation map.
Consider it done.

I added the expected route of the Burnside Expressway.

Unfortunately due to old satellite images and no clear maps I highlighted the general area where the future Larry Uteck and Margeson Drive Interchanges will be.

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 5:07 PM

Glendale Road widening part of new commuter study
Halifax News Net

BEDFORD/sackville
By Yvette d’Entremont – The Weekly News
Close to 100 people attended a meeting at Bedford’s LeBrun Centre last week to learn more about the proposed Highway 107 from Akerley Boulevard to Highway 102 near Duke Street.
The Feb. 12 public information session was one of two meetings held to discuss the results of the Bayers Road/Highway 102/Highway 107 Corridor Study. The first was held Feb. 11 in Halifax.
The Stantec Consulting conceptual study was cost-shared by the province and HRM and was commissioned as a result of current traffic congestion and expected future growth in the Bedford area over the next 30 years.
The study examined the future best use of the Bayers Road/Highway 102 corridor stretching from Windsor Street to Fall River. The location of the proposed Highway 107 from Akerley Boulevard in Burnside to Highway 102 near Duke Street (Exit C) in Bedford was also updated and evaluated.
“I’ve been following the 107 (concept) for quite a few years,” said Bedford resident Keith Roberts, who noted the idea has been floating around since at least the 1970s.
A former Bedford town councillor and mayor, Roberts said in the late 1970s the proposed Highway 107 was second on a priority list behind Highway 118. His comment about wanting to see something in place before another 30 years have passed was greeted with applause.
“I’ve heard concerns tonight, all valid, but the beauty of going from Rocky Lake to Akerley Boulevard is there are no houses to deal with and a lot of the land is owned by DND,” he said. “I’m in favour of moving sometime soon, not in 30 years.”
Concerns were raised that no meeting was held in Sackville. Resident Theresa Scratch said she was worried Glendale Drive could be negatively impacted if a decision was eventually made to widen Glendale from two to four lanes.
“This proposed roadway has potential for serious impact on the community of Sackville, and I’d ask you to consider setting up a meeting,” Scratch said.
Warren Irvine agreed.
“The suggestion Glendale should be widened to four lanes is also, I think, an impossible suggestion, given the sports complex and schools,” Irvine said.
In an interview, Coun. Brad Johns said Glendale Drive was originally constructed with the potential to expand to four lanes. He said such a move would potentially put Lower Sackville residents at odds with the Middle and Upper Sackville residents in his district.
“The quicker residents in my district can move from point A to point B, the better it is for them. But that wouldn’t necessarily make Lower Sackville residents happy,” Johns said. “People see the nightmare we have on Sackville Drive and don’t want the same nightmare on Glendale, but it was designed in such a manner that it could accommodate four lanes.”
Johns and Lower Sackville Coun. Bob Harvey told The Weekly News they requested a meeting for the Sackville area prior to last week’s sessions. After Scratch’s comment at last week’s Bedford meeting, Nova Scotia Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal representative Dwayne Cross said they would look into hosting sessions in both Sackville and Burnside.
Results of public meetings will be used to complete the study. The final report should be completed within two months and will then be tabled with regional council and made public.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 4:23 AM

No matter whats proposed there are going to be NIMBYs, but I don't believe it's warranted here. Take a look at Glendale Dr. on Google Maps. There's nothing built off the road itself. It's perfect for a main artery.

In fact, I bet if they do double it, traffic of Sackville Dr would decrease.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 5:30 PM

“The suggestion Glendale should be widened to four lanes is also, I think, an impossible suggestion, given the sports complex and schools,” Irvine said.
Whatt? Put in a few sets of lights. They already have one by the sportsplex and one further down where all the school traffic goes onto. It may get a little busier, but I really don't see this as a problem. What is the real problem here?
“People see the nightmare we have on Sackville Drive and don’t want the same nightmare on Glendale, but it was designed in such a manner that it could accommodate four lanes.”
Exactly. There is room here for another two lanes, but thats it. There are not a lot of roads connected to Glendale so traffic can flow. The reason Sackville Drive is so terrible is because of the endless stripmalls and car dealerships. This wouldn't happen on Glendale because there is simply not enough room for anything else. Homes are close enough so no more land can be developed, but they are far enough so lanes can be put into place.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Consider it done.

I added the expected route of the Burnside Expressway.

Unfortunately due to old satellite images and no clear maps I highlighted the general area where the future Larry Uteck and Margeson Drive Interchanges will be.

I'd love to see it...would you mind posting a link?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jringe01 View Post
I'd love to see it...would you mind posting a link?
Here's the Google Maps link.

If you prefer Microsoft Live there is a link lying around somewheres in the forum (I think in the Compilation Thread).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:24 PM

BAYERS ROAD / HIGHWAY 102 / HIGHWAY 107 CORRIDOR STUDY PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSIONS

(Friday, March 20, 2009) - The Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (NSTIR) and Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) are exploring the future best use of the Bayers Road / Highway 102 Corridor from Windsor Street, Halifax to Fall River. The study includes traffic projections and functional designs that could be implemented in stages over a 30-year period. The objective of the study is to identify transportation infrastructure needs and preserve the corridor for potential expansion of the roadways sometime in the future. This process does not imply that construction will take place.

The location of the proposed Highway 107 from Akerley Blvd in Burnside to Highway 102 near Duke Street (Exit 4C) has also been updated and evaluated. The study was conducted by Stantec Consulting on behalf of NSTIR and HRM. Two additional public information sessions will be held to present the findings of the study and the functional design of the roadways and interchanges:

(1) Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at Sackville High School, 1 Kingfisher Way, Lower Sackville, from 6pm to 9pm with a presentation at 6:30 pm.

(2) Thursday, March 26, 2009 at the Park Place Hotel & Conference Centre, Ramada Plaza, 240 Brownlow Avenue, Dartmouth, from 4pm to 6 pm.

NSTIR, HRM and Consultant staff will be in attendance at the public information session to discuss the study and answer questions. Visit www.halifax.ca for more information.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 7:37 PM

More Roundabouts everyone!

Results of Burnside Expressway study released
BURNSIDE
KEN PARTRIDGE
The Burnside News

The presentation of plans for the creation of the long-overdue Burnside Expressway and Highway 107 Extension certainly didn’t draw the ire that the city’s future plans for Bayers Road and Highway 102 did, but there are still many concerns in the affected communities over increased traffic loads and environmental impacts.
Both roadways were included in the recently presented study done by Stantec Engineering, but it was the study’s conclusion that Bayers Road would need to be widened to handle future traffic growth that attracted most of the media attention as affected land owners protested the impact on their properties.
However, residents of Bedford and Sackville are equally concerned the Expressway will dump more cars into their neighbourhoods and raise serious safety and property value issues.
The Stantec study used the HRM Regional Development Plan as a starting point for identifying where future growth will occur, what the level of that growth will be and what types of traffic volumes that will create in the near and distant future. The study concluded the existing conditions at the current interchange of Highway 102 and the Bedford Highway, Exit 4, would not provide a suitable connection for the new Expressway. It therefore recommends the original route, which would see the expressway connect the end of Burnside Drive directly through to Duke Street in Bedford. Either way, the study shows traffic volumes would be the same on either route.
This would be just the first phase of the Expressway’s construction. The study says a phased approach would reduce the need to build the more expensive aspects of the roadway, while still providing a direct connection as soon as possible.
Phase one is currently scheduled to begin in 2011 and will include a four-lane, controlled access highway with no additional access points along the route. Future phases, creating additional on/off ramps and the eventual direct connection to Highways 107 and 102, would follow as funding permits.
An environmental impact assessment on phase one is set to begin later this spring, while a cost-benefit analysis also needs to be conducted. To date, the study hasn’t considered the creation of high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes on the Expressway to encourage the use of busses, transit vans and carpools. The use of HOV lanes was looked at on the Highway 102 corridor and was found to be a suitable usage.
Future related projects may include the creation of roundabouts to handle traffic volumes, which are nearing capacity, at the Burnside Drive/Highway 111 and Akerley Boulevard/Highway 107 interchanges.
None of the public comment received to date on the study calls into question the need for the Expressway. Quite the contrary, all the commentators agreed the route is long overdue. However, there is a lot of concern over the selected route and the phased nature of the project. For example, until the Highway 107 connection is made, the top pf Akerley Boulevard could see a significant increase in traffic as drivers on Highway 107 swing down to access a more direct route to Bedford, Sackville or Highway 102.
Since Duke Street runs right into Glendale Avenue in Sackville, residents of that community are concerned their streets will also see a significant increase in traffic volumes as people currently taking the Bedford Bypass switch to the Expressway.
The study’s results do show traffic volumes on Magazine Hill, the Bedford Bypass and the Bedford Highway will decrease once the Expressway opens. However, it also predicts the existing infrastructure along Duke and Glendale is sufficient to handle additional volumes for up to 20 years.
Similar concerns surround the phasing of the project, suggesting that impacts on surrounding communities would be mitigated or eliminated if all phases were constructed simultaneously rather than spread out over several years. This will depend entirely upon the availability of funding. As of today, there are currently no budget provisions for the project, although federal infrastructure and Atlantic Gateway dollars are expected to flow into the initiative.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:24 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'm excited for this to begin. Anderson Lake looks like it would be a good place to start a new housing development. Some mid rises on the lake itself and some high rises set back would make for a great neighborhood. As long as the highway could handle the load. I'm not sure who owns the land but I would welcome the addition.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I'm excited for this to begin. Anderson Lake looks like it would be a good place to start a new housing development. Some mid rises on the lake itself and some high rises set back would make for a great neighborhood. As long as the highway could handle the load. I'm not sure who owns the land but I would welcome the addition.
Don't quote me on this but I believe its a mix of all three governments.

HRM has some Urban Reserve land up there, the Province would own the highway ROW and the Fed's owns a lot of Anderson Lake as part of the DND lands.

I would take a lot of work to develop it since theres no sewer/water/power in the area right now and they would have to comb the area for ammunition. I know from living near the DND that amount of ammunition in that area. THere's a big crater from a few deacades ago sitting in forest behind my house.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 1:26 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I guess I overlooked how close that was to the Magazine area. Too bad about the ammo issue. Wind Turbines for power! Lake water for drinking! Pump the sewage to the harbour. Nova Scotia's first "off the grid" independent community. Ahhh. In a perfect world maybe.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I guess I overlooked how close that was to the Magazine area. Too bad about the ammo issue. Wind Turbines for power! Lake water for drinking! Pump the sewage to the harbour. Nova Scotia's first "off the grid" independent community. Ahhh. In a perfect world maybe.
You get used to the ammo after a while but unfortunately even if the ammo were removed I doubt the Fed's would allow access to Anderson Lake because of security risks.

I've always dreamt of one of those communities popping up somewheres in HRM but it is defenitely hard to pull off. It would likely get bogged down in assesments and fights with NSP for many years.

One thing I should mention is if ever developed Anderson Lake would be under the Bedford plans and not in Dartmouth ike many people think.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 11:43 AM

Only a very small portion of the land on the south-west side of Anderson Lake is owned by DND. And even then, I don't know why you think there would be munitions around the lake, the magazine is on the other side of the highway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure