HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 4:11 PM

There are munitions scattered all over that area. They close down Magazin hill probably at least once a year because of some sort of old munition being uncovered next to the road.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Only a very small portion of the land on the south-west side of Anderson Lake is owned by DND. And even then, I don't know why you think there would be munitions around the lake, the magazine is on the other side of the highway.
Its quite sizable actually but still the lake would pose a secutity risk to the DND.

And as Jonovision mentioned while most of the munitions depot is on the Harbour side there are some in the area around Anderson Lake too. I know from living next to DND that precautions have to be taken before moving the dirt around here.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 10:40 PM

I understand that Dexter Group owns most of the land around Anderson Lake. A few years ago they had proposed swapping it for Brightwood Golf Club, developing the club property, and building a new golf course for them that incorporated the lake. Of course, that got derailed by HRM Council, specifically, Gloria McCluskey, who didn't want her beloved Brightwood to change.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
And as Jonovision mentioned while most of the munitions depot is on the Harbour side there are some in the area around Anderson Lake too. I know from living next to DND that precautions have to be taken before moving the dirt around here.
I still doubt this. There's nowhere out there to store anything, unless they have it up in trees or something.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I still doubt this. There's nowhere out there to store anything, unless they have it up in trees or something.
It has nothing to do with storage. I'm not sure of the entire story but I belivee there was a large explosion there some years ago that cast live munitions off into the air that littered this entire area.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It has nothing to do with storage. I'm not sure of the entire story but I belivee there was a large explosion there some years ago that cast live munitions off into the air that littered this entire area.
What Jonovision said basically.

It was the "Other Halifax Explosion" back in '45 and it did cause ammunition to go all over the nearby land. This is why developments like Harbour Isle have to conduct a survey of the land to determine that there are no ammunitions nearby.

Also because stockpiling the ammunition was dangerous some of the thought to be dead ammunition was buried deep in the ground to protect them from causing damage if they exploded. The buried ammunition is the main reason that the depot is surrounded by an unusually large forest, a fire truck road, and a double ten foot chain link fence.

I'm not positive if the ammunition is also buried on the east end of Magazine Hill but I have a feeling some from the explosion landed there considering the highway is shut down occassionally to explode found ammunition.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:21 PM

I'm aware of the explosion, hadn't thought of it at the time, and it makes some sense.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 7:19 AM

This underpass, built a few years ago, caught my eye because it didn't have any apparent function, until I realized it must be for the slip road from the 102 northbound to the 107 extension. If that's true, then this would be the situation they have decided upon:

This would also explain why the Duke Street/102 overpass is so long:

(imagery credit: Bing & Google Maps)

Don't get me wrong, I think this highway is needed, but it seems a bit pointless/greasy to have public consultation on the proposed route if it's basically already set in stone. That said, I guess this is the best situation; I think it might get a bit messy if they had tried to link the 107 to the 101/102 interchange as had been discussed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 7:50 AM

^I hope they go for that idea since funnelling the traffic onto Duke/Glendale Street would be disasterous especially since it has had two new stoplights installed over the last couple of years.

It would be nice to see a use made out of that random overpass since right now its a hazard and graffiti central for the area.

I checked the property ownership for the land and the province owns a lot of land in the area. They own where the interchange would theoretically be located and sections parallel to Duke Street down to Rocky Lake. So the expressway would curve away from Duke a bit to cross Rocky Lake Dr near a swamp of sorts just north of Duke.

Hopefully if they ever build the expressway they'll fix up the Duke/Glendale corridor, build an interchange at Rocky Lake to get people onto the freeway and Glendale, and eventually designate some nice parkland around Rocky Lake.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^I hope they go for that idea since funnelling the traffic onto Duke/Glendale Street would be disasterous especially since it has had two new stoplights installed over the last couple of years.

It would be nice to see a use made out of that random overpass since right now its a hazard and graffiti central for the area.

I checked the property ownership for the land and the province owns a lot of land in the area. They own where the interchange would theoretically be located and sections parallel to Duke Street down to Rocky Lake. So the expressway would curve away from Duke a bit to cross Rocky Lake Dr near a swamp of sorts just north of Duke.

Hopefully if they ever build the expressway they'll fix up the Duke/Glendale corridor, build an interchange at Rocky Lake to get people onto the freeway and Glendale, and eventually designate some nice parkland around Rocky Lake.
it'll be nice to have that expressway, but i'm seeing two ideas, ending at the corner of duke and rocky lake, or going all the way to the 102 and to cobequid. Which one are they actually planning, unless going to the corner would be temporary, then it would make more sense.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordite_93 View Post
it'll be nice to have that expressway, but i'm seeing two ideas, ending at the corner of duke and rocky lake, or going all the way to the 102 and to cobequid. Which one are they actually planning, unless going to the corner would be temporary, then it would make more sense.
I think the first stage has it ending at the foot of Duke, and afterwards it'll be completed to the 102.

More information (PDF)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 3:02 AM

All I can say for sure is they need to either build this highway or widen Magazine Hill immediately. The shear number of accidents on that road is astounding.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 3:24 AM

Since I've mentioned Magazine Hill I have created a plan for the highway;

Magazine Hill/Bedford Bypass Plan

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 10:59 PM

This is interesting, its similar to the drawing in the pdf above, but this includes the final plan for the 102/101 interchange area, exit 3 and 4 on the 102 would be merged into one massive interchange, it's complicated, but services every road and should really move quite smooth. It takes a few minutes to take it all in. The red is the existing conditions, black is proposed.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
This is interesting, its similar to the drawing in the pdf above, but this includes the final plan for the 102/101 interchange area, exit 3 and 4 on the 102 would be merged into one massive interchange, it's complicated, but services every road and should really move quite smooth. It takes a few minutes to take it all in. The red is the existing conditions, black is proposed.
^Actually its Exits 4A/B and 4C (Exit 3 is HPR).

While I can see the need for an elaborate interchange, setting it up that is pointlessly confusing.

To make life simplier I'd make these changes (C/E means collector express system like on the 118);

Bi-Hi Northbound: have the C/E start before the Sackville River. Becuase of the short distance no switch-overs so it would serve all four off-ramps. It would be lengthened to include the Duke/Glendale on-ramp.

Bi-Hi Southbound: Extend the C/E to just north of the Sackville River.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 11:49 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

From Burnside New

Not sure if anyone caught this a few weeks ago. Here is a link to the story.

http://www.burnsidenews.com/News/201...al-priority-/1

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 11:57 PM

Ohh how well off we would be if everything a politician said was true...

Mind you, the NDP never got my vote and they never will. I wish this could be done, this connector is desperately needed.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 12:07 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Why was the Bedford Bypass never given an interchange with the 102? This would have solved some of the traffic issues a long time ago.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 2:27 AM

I'm very doubtful about McNeil's promise. There's been at least four liberal governments in power since this was first promised to residents so why should we believe he's any different?

And also there's a majority government right now so the next election is in 2014 or something isn't it?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Why was the Bedford Bypass never given an interchange with the 102? This would have solved some of the traffic issues a long time ago.
Agreed. It just doesn't make sense to have to drive through Bedford to make that connection...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure