HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:01 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Is it safe to assume that the current work for the sidewalk/bikeway along Burnside Dr. is related to this project? I know that an active transportation trail was supposed to be included.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
New five-kilometre expressway greenlit by council

March 21, 2012 Updated: March 21, 2012 | 1:21 am

By Jennifer Taplin
Metro Halifax

As Bedford Coun. Tim Outhit puts it, Tuesday was a big day for commuters.

Halifax regional council OK’d the sale of 168 acres of land to the province to build the Burnside Sackville Expressway, a bypass on the Highway 107.

“This one has been discussed for 20-plus years,” said Mayor Peter Kelly.

The sale agreement requires the province to complete the roadway extension of Akerley Boulevard, by Dec. 31, 2014.

Kelly wouldn’t say what they sold land for until the sale is finalized, but he said it was market value. The money will go into Burnside Industrial Park fund.

“It’s great news for the people of Bedford and Sackville,” said Outhit.

The five-kilometre roadway will divert traffic from Dartmouth Road and Magazine Hill, and allow truck traffic from Burnside to Highway 102 and beyond.

But the expressway will also provide access to the Burnside’s Phase 13 – meaning more development in the business park.

Sue Mckeage, spokeswoman for transportation and infrastructure renewal, said the cost of the entire project is $52 million ‘ $17 million of which comes from federal funding.

This was the most recent news story I could find on this. I would think construction should be starting this fall or next spring at the latest if the project has to be completed by the end of 2014.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:29 PM

Highway 107 - Cherry Brook Bypass | Theoretical

Hi,

Some here on SSP Halifax may remember when I brought up the idea of the Metro Ring Road System on:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184298

It turns out that my suggested routing of the Highway 107 Cheery Brook Bypass (which I referred to as the Loon Lake Connector) is right on the money as I just found an HRM document dated back in 2005 that displays part of the proposed routing north of Loon Lake for about 1km east of the Forest Hills Extension section of the 107. The intention at the time was to have this road built in the 10-20 year planning horizon (which would put it to 2015-2025 horizon). Given the heavy traffic volumes in Cole Harbour now, I would strongly suggest that NS TIR and HRM get the environmental assessment for construction of the Highway 107 Cherry Brook Bypass started immediately.

So, here is the HRM document that shows a portion of the routing (the two maps are between Pages 8 and 9 with the right of way shown on the first map):

http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/...toMPSforch.pdf

The upside of this is that the northerly routing involves less building demolition that another route that I theorized recently, a southerly route (extend the 107 westward tangentially from 1km east of Exit 17 and smash it through the subdivision just south of Sobeys and funnel it to the Forest Hills extension with a semi-directional split exit to Main Street) to take care of both the regional and commuter traffic flows in one shot (at which point, I'd suggest a six-lane viaduct over Main Street between Mount Edward sector and Highway 111 (2 general lanes and a right-hand bus/auxiliary lane in each direction).

The downside of the northerly routing is that is that the heavy urban commuter traffic will still jam up Main Street, unless people choose to use Highway 118 to get to the 107 instead of Main Street, which would be just barely faster than the existing Main Street commuter route (under free flowing traffic conditions), seeing that it is about twice the distance (starting from Highway 111/Highway 118 and ending at Forest Hills Parkway/Main Street). However, as I mentioned, the southern route (which is not officially proposed by NSTIR or HRM, but only brought up by me) would involve a lot of demolition and a fair bit of elevated highway (or tunneling).

Regards,

Richard Kannegiesser

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 12:59 AM

I'd go with the north route;

[Image Removed. See posts below]

With this routing there could be some benefits;

1) Clear service area boundary for municipal services via new highway and Salmon River.
2) Forest Hills Extension could open up to development. Maintain a 80km/h connection (Burnside Drive style)
3) Realignment of Lake Major Road/Trunk 7/Route 328 intersection area. Continue Route 328 north to Highway 107.
4) Simplification of community boundaries.

As for priorities I think this should be open in 10-15 years. This is after local projects like the Burnside Expressway, Bayers Road Upgrades, and Highway 102 widening.

- DJ

Last edited by Dmajackson; Sep 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkannegi View Post

So, here is the HRM document that shows a portion of the routing (the two maps are between Pages 8 and 9 with the right of way shown on the first map):

http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/...toMPSforch.pdf
This case was refused by the Harbour East Community Council - so the map has no standing what so ever. So the routing would still be quite theoretical and not set in stone.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 4:37 PM

It was a good thing that the development was refused. However, when I looked closely at the second map that shows all the property lines, it looks like the Province may already have a short strip of land reserved for the 107 on either side of Montague with the rest of route to the west of Montague looking more theoretical than anything. At least it leaves some flexibility.

They should get a solid plan in place soon, so they don't have to hold back development that would not jam up the existing road network. Not knowing where the highway would run would steer me away from buying a house/condo in that area at this current time.

I still favor northern routing too as it would allow for a consistent 100/110km/h posted road to be built without wrecking the whole neighbourhood. I expect that bridge/interchange sequence would probably resemble something close to Dmajacksons' route, but I expect that the curvature won't be as sharp as shown on his map since horizontal curves for new freeway posted at 100km/h or 110km/h generally have a minimum radius of 1700m (I'm referencing from the new freeway design standard mandated in Ontario which is fairly consistent with new freeways across the rest of Canada).

If Main Street is still busy after the 107 is built, I have previously suggested making Main Street to the south a 50-60km/h right-turn-only road where where driveway and side road accesses remain in place, but with a median divider and overpasses strategically placed along the route to allow for crossing, left turn or U-turn movements. I'd also take the opportunity created by the construction of the ultimate Highway 107 to look at getting bus lanes or busways established along Main Street too.

As an aside, for the urban commuter routes in the built up portions of the HRM, it would be nice if they had separated roadways for buses and HOV's only or HOT (High Occupancy Toll - HOV's and buses get on free, SOV's pay tolls), i.e. freeflow viaducts over some of the main streets in HRM such as Main Street, Quinpool Road, North Street and Robie Street (the viaducts could be allowed to intersect with each other at signals or roundabouts at viaduct level instead of having an interchange at every junction between bus/HOV/HOT viaducts, this would also allow for them to be designed in tight areas like Quinpool Road).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 11:16 PM

Revised Routing

How about this?

(Image created off of Google Maps. Hosted by Dmajackson)

I smoothed out the curves, moved the routed slightly northwards, and removed two underpasses. So it's like this now;

THE HIGHWAY - 7.1km four-lane, divided, controlled-access freeway. Posted speed limit of 100-110 km/h. On ground level but situated on a ridge above neighbouring communities. Depressed median with fencing along the outside of the highway.

FOREST HILL INTERCHANGE - Half interchange with access/exit to the bypass only to the north.

PRESTON INTERCHANGE - Full diamond-style interchange with emphasis on Main Street - Hwy 107 EB, Hwy 107 WB - Main Street movements.

LAKE MAJOR & MONTAGUE INTERCHANGES - Full interchanges similar in style to Exit 12 in Bridgewater. All ramps to the east side of interchange with appropriate length merges and turn radii. Consider roundabouts at road intersections with new accesses to adjacent properties.

CRANEHILL & RILEY ROAD UNDERPASSES - Standard freeway underpasses. Allow adequate spans to allow future road upgrades on the local streets.

LAKE MAJOR BRIDGE - Highlight of new bypass. Six-lanes in width the bridge will cross Old German Road, Lake Major, and Lake Major Road all in one span. To reduce capital costs narrow highway to "urban" standard with a tall centre median.

Along with the highway I would leave enough room for a multi-use trail along the length. This would be placed outside of the fencing. This trail would connect new neighbourhoods to Park N' Ride lots located at the interchanges.

Associated changes would see community boundaries, municipal service boundary, and developable land zoning changed.

Nearby roads would be reclassified. Main Street would become a 50-80km/h thoroughfare and the commercial corridor. Forest Hills Extension would be renamed to Forest Hills Parkway and act as a 80km/h north-south collector. Driveway access would be banned on Forest Hills and it could only be accessed via stoplight controlled intersections.

As for timing this should coincide with a new Regional Plan. In 2026 (when the current one expires) suburban growth can be shifted to the Dartmouth North area. The bypass should be built by this time and can act as a catalyst to growth in the area.

- DJ

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 12:47 AM

I know this seems like a dumb question - but is there really enough traffic along Main Street to need this road? I haven't driven over there in years, so I honestly don't know...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 5:14 AM

^The area west of Ross Road (Route 328) has about 25'000 vehicles a day (AADT) according to a count done in 2003. East of Ross Road is about 14'000. Counts above 10'000 normally call for twinning so rerouting could be justified. I guess the best way to know would be to figure out;

1) Stanfield Int'l Airport - Eastern Shore vehicle trips
2) Burnside/Bedford/Sackville - East of Forest Hills Extension vehicle trips
3) Any other trips that would benefit from rerouting around urban Dartmouth.

Add these together and you would get the base number for projected vehicle trips on the bypass.

- DJ

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 10:55 PM

Highway 107 Cherry Brook Bypass Route Alternatives

I would expect the currently preferred routing of the Highway 107 Cherry Brook Bypass to look like the green routing on the image below (interchanges existing Highway 107, Lake Major Road, North Preston Road and at Highway 7, with flyovers or flyunders at all other roads). Besides the southern routing through Cole Harbour (which is least preferred due to the mass demolition it would cause - hence the red colour), I have very recently thought of a more northerly routing that would allow for a 110km/h limit on a 110m right of way with 30m median, assuming 4 traffic lanes are built (citing new Ontario high speed highway right of way standards), with proper interchange spacing (directional split interchange at the west end, interchange at Highway 7 near East Preston, interchange at North Preston Road and an interchange with a connector to Lake Major Road, where the connector would be near the green route and I would have the connector built to the same standard as Wright Avenue in Dartmouth Crossing, and flyovers/flyunders at all other roads).

The northern routing could also support the construction of a high-speed semi-directional ramp system to Highway 118 once traffic volumes warrant such a connection (save a right of way for it and keep on using the existing ramps to the 118 for now). The existing Highway 107 near the Montague Mines interchange has curvature that is a little tight for a 110km/h limit, and it barely meets the specs for a 100km/h limit, unlike Highway 118 which has very straight curvature (except at Fall River) and yet, its limit is only 100km/h.

Keep in mind this road could be intially built as a two/three lane tall wall divided road (one lane each way with a jersey barrier in the middle, with 3 meter wide paved shoulders with two 2km long passing lanes in each direction (on the yellow routing) or one 2km long passing lane in each direction on the green routing (they would alternate near the middle of the route). Think of a highway with alternating passing lanes, such as what is shown in the following link, but with a 4ft high tall wall barrier between the opposing traffic and with the right lane merging into the left lane (unlike having the left lane merge to the right as shown in the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxd54Qy-1yk

Website the Youtube Video originated from (Missouri DOT):

http://www.modot.org/Shared4-Lane/Shared4Lane.htm

As an aside, my suggestion would be a very quick and cheap way of sorting out Highways 101, 103, 107, and Highway 104 east of the Antigonish Bypass construction zone (and its eventual extension to Sydney). Then get the undivided, rumble-stripped version of this going along some of the trunk and secondary highways that are not paralleled by a 100 series route, but that have significant passing demand.

For the red routing it would have to be built to 4 lanes tall wall divided with an additional third lane in each direction that would act as a general auxiliary lane between an entry ramp and the next exit ramp and as a bus-only lane between the exit ramp and the next entry ramp.

From what I have seen lately in Cole Harbour, I believe the new highway is justified (high amounts of southbound left turns and westbound right turns). An interim measure would be to build a roundabout or a "Continuous Flow Intersection" at the Main Street/Forest Hills intersection.

Continuous Flow Intersection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVI3Ledw7mc

I often refer to a CFI as a Mexican Left, since its design originated in Mexico City, and it has helped a lot in areas where it has already been used. The Greater Toronto Area could really use a bunch of these on its arterial grid roads. For HRM? Try it as an option for Sackville Drive at Beaverbank Connector in Sackville, or if you really want to be witty, suggest it to HRM for the infamous Willow Tree intersection in Halifax (Robie/Quinpool/Cogswell/Bell).

Regards,

Richard Kannegiesser

Image URL:

[img=http://s15.postimage.org/p4zxe2xuj/Highway_107_Cherry_Brook_Bypass_Route_Alternativ.jpg]

Last edited by rkannegi; Sep 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Imageshack and Flickr don't work properly.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

This was the most recent news story I could find on this. I would think construction should be starting this fall or next spring at the latest if the project has to be completed by the end of 2014.
I was wondering this week as I was sitting in traffic on Dartmouth Road, waiting to enter the bottleneck that is Magazine Hill... has work started on this yet? Has anybody heard any news?

I remember talking to somebody about 20 years ago that worked on the survey team that laid out this project in the late '80s...

Enough already, let's get the lead out!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 1:55 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I see no signs that this has started. Unless crews are coming from Duke toward Burnside. Maybe they are waiting until winter to clear the lands?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 6:57 PM

I noticed from the province's website (http://gov.ns.ca/tran/highways/constructionprojects.asp) that the current status is: Detailed design, Federal Environmental Assessment, Land purchase.

Don't know how up-to-date that is, but it looks like there's still lots to do before even the clearing begins. (?)

I remember reading somewhere that work was supposed to start in 2012, though.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 4:00 AM

"The province plans to spend $247 million on highways and bridges. One of the projects is Phase 1 of the Burnside connector, linking Highway 107 to Bedford, work that was to start this year. MacDonald wouldn’t answer questions about it, saying Transportation Minister Maurice Smith will discuss that next week when he releases the five-year roadwork plan."

Read More of "Province unveils 2013 capital spending plans" @ thechronicleherald.ca

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 12:40 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

More delays

From cbc.ca/ns

CBC News has learned the long promised "Burnside Expressway" to connect the suburban communities to Dartmouth has been delayed yet again as negotiations drag on between the Nova Scotia government and a large landowner.

"There has been a delay that will push out the completion date, to what point we're not sure yet," says acting Transportation Minister Dave Wilson.

The five kilometre highway was supposed by completed by the end of 2014 at a cost of $52-million. Instead the Province is now examining alternate routing over land owned by Dexter Construction.

"We want to minimize impact on their operations. So that's why were talking now to see if there can be some adjustment made to come to an agreement on the position of the expressway through their property," Wilson tells CBC News.

Dexter Construction did not respond to a request for an interview on the Expressway.

Routing is not the only snag in the negotiations.

"Price is an issue with this project but both sides want to see this expressway built," says Wilson.

The Highway was first announced in January 1992 by a Conservative government. Subsequent administrations have allowed the project to sit on a shelf.

Dave Wilson — an MLA who represents the suburban community of Sackville — says the NDP government remains committed to the project, which is on its 5 year Highway Construction List. Brush clearing and some road bed construction will begin in coming months.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:53 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I saw on twitter that trees have begun to be cut down? I'll be in the area later and can hopefully confirm.

*edit*
Confirmed...

Last edited by Jstaleness; Mar 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 9:50 PM

According to The Burnside News the completion date of this project has been pushed back to 2015 due to ongoing land negotiations.

- DJ

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
According to The Burnside News the completion date of this project has been pushed back to 2015 due to ongoing land negotiations.
Sigh... unfortunately nothing new there. This project has been continually pushed back since its inception.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 2:48 AM

Why the holdup?

Expropriate that mo-fo like they do to everybody else who won't "play ball".

Oh wait. Its Dexters land. Now I get it

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:38 PM

No movement here;

Source

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure