HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 1:01 PM

Route 213 - Hammonds Plains Road Upgrades | Ongoing

This was brought up in the four-surface ice rink thread but since it is a massive undertaking I think it deserves its own thread. I will say one thing for sure, Councillor Outhit is right on the mark on this matter.

City out to widen more roads
Project tendered for a few kilometres along Hammonds Plains Road
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Mon. Feb 23 - 5:43 AM

Despite the recent public backlash against a plan to widen Bayers Road, the city is charging full steam ahead with yet another road-widening project.

But this one is different, says the local councillor.

"I didn’t like Chebucto Road – I didn’t vote for it – and Bayers Road, well, the jury’s still out," Coun. Tim Outhit (Bedford) said in an interview Sunday about the recently completed and proposed projects.

Over the weekend, the city tendered a project to widen Hammonds Plains Road between Innovation Drive and Bluewater Road.

But the project, which will widen the road over a few kilometres, also involves lowering a treacherous crest on the route by about six metres, Mr. Outhit said.

"This is quite a drastic project," he said. "But I think something progressive comes out of this."

The blind crest, by Ben’s Bakery on the road to Tantallon, has been the scene of many car accidents, some fatal, he said.

"I know my predecessor, Gary Martin, had said that he’s taken a few people off there over the years in car accidents," he said of the career police officer turned politician.

"He thought it was a great idea to lower that hill."

The project will likely get underway early in the spring because it also involves building a new road – named for Mr. Martin, who died last year from cancer – into the city’s new quad ice rink complex.

So it’s crucial that construction trucks can get in and out of the new rink site, he said.

The project will be deja vu all over again for many commuters who rely on the link from Highway 103 into Bedford, he said.

Last summer, the city widened a nearby 500-metre stretch of the road to make room for two extra lanes, bicycle lanes in both directions, as well as a curb and sidewalk on the south side.

"It’s going to be another rough summer out on that road," Mr. Outhit said.

During the project, drivers will be diverted onto Giles Road, a cul-de-sac off the main thoroughfare, he said.

Residents on that street have been consulted, he said.

"It is going to be a tremendous hardship for them for a couple of months, there’s no question.

"But I am pleased overall that (the project) will make the hill safer, put in bike lanes and sidewalks to the new rink."

Mayor Peter Kelly acknowledged Sunday that such projects aren’t always the easiest for council.

"Nothing is ever straightforward when it comes to widenings," Mr. Kelly said Sunday. "But this is in an area where we are trying to prepare for future development in Bedford West."

It all ties into the transportation strategy for the corridor, he said, noting a transit element will play a big part of that plan.

However, he’s not sure if the future connection will take the form of a MetroLink, regular Metro Transit bus route or a shuttle to the possible future Bedford ferry.

"The routing is still to come before council."

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 12:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is an old rural road that has become an arterial off of which maybe 20,000 people now live, and there's going to be a lot more construction. There are maybe 20-30 houses along the stretch of road to be widened I would guess. Many of them are set well back from the street and are on large properties dating to when Hammonds Plains was a small rural area.

I wish they'd stop talking about road widening as if it is unusual and drastic. It is simply something that has to happen to some degree as cities grow, unless the new streets are planned to handle the traffic from the beginning. Hammonds Plains Road certainly was not.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 1:03 AM

I drive this road every day to work and this section is relitivly un-populated. The area between the 102, Bluewater road, Kearny lake and Hammonds plains will house a massive development. I've seen what is planned so far and it will definatly build up the area. The proposed 113 highway to connect the 102 and 103 will cut in a bit, but that is accounted for. This widening will definitely be necessary as that hill will become much more dangerous with all the new people living there. Better to do it now then later when more people are on the street.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 1:25 AM

I drive the road about once or twice a week and well "kph06" said pretty much what I was thinking about this. I actually believe though there isn't any homes on the hill (which is why they can lower it) and there is only some commercial nearby.

For the most part what they did with the first section has worked really well and I haven't seen or heard of any accidents through there. They are even in the process of installing traffic signals at Science Park Dr (RIM) to calm the traffic down. The only thing I hope they do in the next few years is create a bicycle corridor down to the Bedford Highway and widen some other sections to three lanes. There is a really bad stretch down by Pockwock Road with only two lanes, no shoulders, guardrails, a commercial property and a sharp corner involved.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
[I]City out to widen more roads
Project tendered for a few kilometres along Hammonds Plains Road
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Mon. Feb 23 - 5:43 AM

Despite the recent public backlash against a plan to widen Bayers Road, the city is charging full steam ahead with yet another road-widening project.

Over the weekend, the city tendered a project to widen Hammonds Plains Road between Innovation Drive and Bluewater Road.
Where is innovation Drive? I don't recall that one.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jringe01 View Post
Where is innovation Drive? I don't recall that one.
The entrance to RIM and the business park portion of Bedford West.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wish they'd stop talking about road widening as if it is unusual and drastic. It is simply something that has to happen to some degree as cities grow, unless the new streets are planned to handle the traffic from the beginning. Hammonds Plains Road certainly was not.

Part of what happened was before a Municipal Plan review (not the 2006 Regional plan, before that, could have been the county) there was no development moratorium. Developers were worried that suburban, unserviced development would be restricted and created 4,000 lots in the area which largely unexpected.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 12:03 AM

I took a little detour through the area on my way in town tonight and it looks like progress is being made on the back streets. Science Park Dr is being extended over to the RIM building, the blasted hole for Bedford West is quite big and they are installing stoplights at Innovation Drive.

And I checked the hill and there is no buildings or lots on Hammonds Plains which is why they can lower the hill with no problem.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 7:16 PM

It Has Begun

Not officially started but this is always the first step;

Relocation of Aliant Telephone Poles - Hammonds Plains

(Monday, April 20, 2009) - On Wednesday, April 22, there will be stop and go traffic between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm on Hammonds Plains Road from Bluewater Road to the BiHi to accommodate work relating to relocation of Aliant telephone poles.

On another note the new stoplights are up and running at Innovation Drive.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 5:17 PM

Now It's Official

Hammonds Plains Road Construction

(Thursday, April 23, 2009) - Construction on Hammonds Plains Road from Innovation to Bluewater will commence April 23, 2009 and continue until October 21, 2009. HRM and the Contractor will make all efforts to ensure minimal traffic disruption during this work.

- 30 -

For further information please contact:

Senior Construction Inspector, Daryl Sheehy
490-4443

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 9:40 PM

I've driven in this area a lot lately and well heres a general construction update;

Construction is well underway. Giles Road has been extended to have a second entrance onto Hammonds Plains. This extension will be used when the HPR is closed down to remove the 5m of hill later this month.

Gary Martin Drive is under constructon with the grading complete and curbs being installed. The road will be at the peak of the lowered Hammonds Plains. No visible construction has begun on the Four Pad Arena site.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 10:42 PM

I've noticed driving through the detour on Giles Rd. that there are signs up saying things like "we're losing our well water" and "don't grow at our expense" and "support water service for Giles".

Does anyone know what this is about? I assume this has something to do with the construction, and some impact that it is having on their water, but I'm very curious what the signs are about.

Hopefully Highway 113 will get built, so people will stop using Hammonds Plains Road as a highway.

http://gov.ns.ca/nse/ea/highway113.asp

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnightingale View Post
I've noticed driving through the detour on Giles Rd. that there are signs up saying things like "we're losing our well water" and "don't grow at our expense" and "support water service for Giles".

Does anyone know what this is about? I assume this has something to do with the construction, and some impact that it is having on their water, but I'm very curious what the signs are about.
Ante up for water costs, resident urges HRM
Giles Drive man says blasting ruined local wells
By HEATHER AMOS
Mon. Jul 13 - 4:46 AM

Ed Giles wants to see HRM councillors drink the water that comes out of his taps.

According to Mr. Giles, his well water sometimes dries up, it has three times the acceptable levels of iron, it smells, it leaves a residue on the bathtub and his laundry, and sometimes mud and dirt spew out of his taps.

His family has lived on Giles Drive for six generations and were happy with the well water until one year ago. Now he purchases bottled water for drinking and washing vegetables.

Mr. Giles thinks blasting for developments in the Bedford area damaged his well.

"I’d like them to have us hooked up to city water and I’d like the city and (the developers) . . . to foot the bill for it."

Tim Outhit, councillor for the Bedford area, explained this isn’t a simple process; legislation has to change, expense has to be considered and usually the residents have to contribute some funds.

"The normal procedure would be 18 months to two years," said Mr. Outhit. "I am trying to get this done in three months and at no cost to them."

Mr. Outhit is trying to get city water extended to Giles Drive, which is currently outside the water service boundary.

He will be discussing the Giles Drive water situation with council on Aug. 4, when council resumes. He is having a report prepared for the meeting.

"I believe the city has an obligation to help these people have good water," said Mr. Outhit. "There’s no guarantee my council colleagues will agree with me."

Mr. Giles is un happy about how long it is taking to make a decision.

"They tell us it’s going to be brought up at a meeting at council in a week and a week passes and we don’t hear. We make the call — ‘Oh it’s not going to be for another three weeks’ — and then it’s not going to be for a month and that’s the situation right now," he said.

Mr. Outhit said there are two possible outcomes: the wells will be re-drilled or the water will be extended to the neighbourhood. His report will compare the two options and consider many factors, for example, the residents use septic tanks.

Council will also have to consider the expense of the project, which Mr. Outhit couldn’t reveal, but said it could easily be $200,000-$300,000.

Typically, the city pays to extend the water to the neighbourhood and the community pays to bring the water to each home.

"I’m on limited income, disability," said Mr. Giles.

"Everyone on this street pretty much has medical concerns and $10,000 for a hookup isn’t feasible."

Since Mr. Giles had a working well up until a year ago, he doesn’t think he should be responsible for funding the waterline extension.

West Bedford Holdings Ltd., a company working on the Parks of West Bedford development, located between Kearney Lake Road and the Hammonds Plains Road, has been communicating with Coun. Outhit about extending the water to Giles Drive.

"As the work gets done along the Hammonds Plains Road it might provide an opportunity to look at providing water service to that little isolated area," said Richard Miller, president of West Bedford Holdings.

Mr. Miller said his company has been in the development business for 50 years and will provide some funding for the project.

He said the company is involved because it is the right thing to do.

"No one has brought to my attention that the development . . . is a direct contributor to any problem."

Mr. Outhit explained that before a developer is given approval for a project, a pre-blast inspection is done. Giles Drive is located outside where the pre-blast inspection was done for developments in the Bedford area.

"We cannot guarantee that we caused the problem; there’s circumstantial evidence that indicates that the development caused the problem, but there’s no scientific test," said Mr. Outhit.

"I’m saying that we probably contributed to it, the developers are saying, ‘Well, we’re probably contributing, let’s try and do the right thing.’ "

( hamos@herald.ca )

Quote:
Hopefully Highway 113 will get built, so people will stop using Hammonds Plains Road as a highway.

http://gov.ns.ca/nse/ea/highway113.asp
Its not supposed to be built for another 25 years unless insane growth occurs in the area.

I like the idea of a highway out there but I also question the safety of HPR even without the traffic. Even if the highway is built HPR will be very dangerous without repairs.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:56 PM

Construction is going along at a good pace on this stretch of road now.

HPR has been lowered and curbs have been installed. The detour and half a million orange cones are still in effect but should be removed in a couple of weeks.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 1:57 AM

Here's a view of the new Hammonds Plains Road from Science Park Drive;

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 2:22 AM

So this is completely done now. Its been all paved and painted and the bicycle lanes are in place.

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 10:36 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
So this is completely done now. Its been all paved and painted and the bicycle lanes are in place.
Its a smooth drive through there now but when you look at the seams in the pavement. A few good winter thaws and that road is going to be a mess. This is not a complaint just an observation.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Its a smooth drive through there now but when you look at the seams in the pavement. A few good winter thaws and that road is going to be a mess. This is not a complaint just an observation.
Typical of the way roads are built around here. They will also probably dig up some of the new pavement next spring to do things they neglected to think of this year. Seems impossible to get a good paving job around here.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 5:33 PM

If the thread title can be altered to simply read "Hammonds Plains Road Upgrades" I can post this;

Two sections of Hammonds Plains Road will be upgraded this summer to meet modern standards and the ever increasing traffic load.

The first section is repaving in the 90km/h section between Westwood Blvd and Pockwock Road. A portion of this section will be redone and have a paved shoulder included for pedestrian/cycling use.

The second section is between Kearney Lake Road and Kingswood/Gatehouse. Both intersections will be renewed and the road will be widened to extend the right/left turn lanes onto Kearney Lake.

- DJ

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure