HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 9:06 PM

Highway 101 - Margeson Drive Interchange & Extension | Completed

I was driving to my friends house today and noticed some signs up and tress cut down for the new ramps just past the lucas ville road. Looks like this will eliviate some of the traffic getting into Sackville during supper time.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 10:22 PM

Yep thats the Maroon Drive Interchange in Upper Sackville. I believe its a five lane wide road that will connect to Sackville Drive removing some traffic on Beaverbank Rd. The interchange itself is just a standard diamond shape.

I think its on one of my maps but I'll check in a little while.

I didn't relize they were starting this so soon. I thought it was going to be begun after the Larry Uteck Interchange.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 11:53 PM

Here's the general location (Live Search Maps). But please keep in mind its not accurate.

Also included is a connection to Westmorland Ridge, the removal of Old Sackville Extension Drive southern junction with Sackville Drive and an extension of Victory Lane to Maroon Drive.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 12:29 AM

I can't view it on my Mac

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:30 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I can't view it on my Mac
I can lol.

It works great... there are a few things that need updating on there though!!

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I can lol.

It works great... there are a few things that need updating on there though!!
If you're talking about the map itself yes I'll admit I'm missing a crap load of stuff on there.

Windows Live and Google really need to update their images sometime soon. I think they're from 2005 or something right now.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Windows Live and Google really need to update their images sometime soon. I think they're from 2005 or something right now.
Depends on the area, since it's all a mish-mash of imagery from various dates stitched together.
Most of Windows Live uses imagery that appears to be taken of the Halifax-Dartmouth area from last summer, but you're right Googles imagery on maps.google.ca hasn't been updated in a while. They do have the more up to date imagery in Google Earth however, you just have to use the historical imagery option.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:47 PM

Do we know when this is expected to be finished? I can't seem to find the case on Halifax's website.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Do we know when this is expected to be finished? I can't seem to find the case on Halifax's website.
I don't know about a completion date but the project is on a provincial highway and being funded by the province so I would try "www.gov.ns.ca".

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 6:45 PM

10.1.4 Margeson Drive Cost Sharing Agreement (1.2 Mb)

This is the cost-sharing agreement between HRM and the Province for the interchange and construction of the first phase of Margeson Drive between Highway 101 and Trunk 1.

The last page on the document has a map of the future road.

BTW This thread should be renamed "Margeson Drive Interchange" and should be moved to the Transportation and Infastructure section.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:07 AM

So according to my sources this interchange will be open this Fall (2010).

Similar to the Larry Uteck Interchange the two intersections created by the ramps will have roundabouts installed.

And the Park 'N Ride lot will be 350 spots and when opened the Sackville MetroLink will extend up to here.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 11:08 PM

The overpass is now half done out there.

Man the overpass is at a steep angle to the highway.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 3:20 PM

I don't know if the following is new thread worthy. But there is an area by the margeson drive over pass (Right behind sackville heights elementary) That is getting a new subdivision as well. About 420 housing units are to be put in there with 2 4 story (Cookie cutter) Apartments. I can see this development from my house. I can't find a map, but here is a document on it.

http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/nwcc/...33suppinfo.pdf

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 1:59 AM

Middle Sackville to get traffic roundabout
Halifax News Net
By Yvette d’Entremont-The Weekly News

The community of Middle Sackville will be home to a provincial traffic roundabout by the end of this year.
During a Northwest Community Council meeting in April, the province’s senior highway design engineer Keith Boddy shared plans for the Margeson Drive Interchange and Connector with a packed audience gathered at Millwood High School.
“Our plans are coming to fruition. Ramps and the connection to the highway will be done this season,” Boddy told the crowd. “The Interchange to Trunk 1 has to be completed by November. Asphalt has to be down. The (entire) project has to be done before March 31 or we don’t get federal funding.”
Boddy was quick to assure everyone the proposed roundabout bore absolutely no resemblance to the Mic Mac Rotary, but pointed instead to successful and similar models in Avonport and Windsor.
He shared a series of projected images and explained the differences between rotaries and roundabouts. He also noted that statistics demonstrate these kinds of installations are significantly safer than traditional intersection/interchange systems.
“There are seven of these style interchanges going forward (in Nova Scotia) this year,” Boddy explained. “It is seen as one of the safest types of intersections/interchanges in the world.”
The roundabout plan presented to the community is designed so vehicles must yield on entry and proceed when there’s a safe gap.
“If someone blows through a yield, you have a sideswipe or rear end collision. At a slower operating speed, collisions are a lot less severe than getting hit head-on or t-boned at a traditional intersection,” Boddy said.
Vehicles on the Middle Sackville roundabout could expect an estimated delay time of between six and 12 seconds. Boddy suggested that might be welcome in a growing area where traffic delays are notorious.
In addition, the roundabout’s proposed design ensures that it will function for about 20 years. Boddy said the roadway would remain open while under construction, but he didn’t expect traffic delays would be significant.
The roundabout will be located on a Middle Sackville portion of Sackville Drive at Margeson Drive, not far from the Atlantic Gardens property.
Local MLA Mat Whynott said when he first learned about the planned roundabout, he was worried. But he quickly came onboard and believes the majority of local residents also support the project.
“I’ve been out canvassing and informing people on the Sackville side of the riding, and so far 99 per cent have no problems with it as long as the project gets done,” Whynott said last week. “Education around how to use roundabouts is important and is really the key here.”
The vast majority of public speakers with questions after Boddy’s April 22 presentation were in favour of the idea, although some expressed their concerns about getting used to a roundabout.
Whynott said he’s focusing on public awareness and is anxious to see the federal/provincial cost-shared project move ahead.
“The project has to be done by March, and it doesn’t make sense to be putting pavement down in mid January,” he said. “The whole project will be done by December, 2010.”
The Sackville Drive roundabout is a provincial project cost shared with the federal government. However, HRM is also considering the installation of roundabouts at four downtown Halifax sites.
Residents were unhappy with municipal officials who tried last week to explain the rationale behind one proposed roundabout at the corner of Novalea, Duffus and Devonshire streets.
Last month municipal councillors unanimously supported, in principle, the idea of roundabouts in HRM. Regional council will determine whether such projects proceed.

ydentremont@hfxnews.ca

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 4:09 AM

Before I left they did not even start the ramps yet. Any idea if this has been started now?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Before I left they did not even start the ramps yet. Any idea if this has been started now?
I've been through the area about once a month for awhile now (and will be for two more years at least). The last time I checked the ramps had not begun construction yet.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 10:48 AM

I go by this often. They have the overpass up, but it looks like they're leaving it for now. All the machines (excavators etc.) are gone. Nothing has been done to the site for awhile now.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 4:50 PM

That sucks, was hoping this would be complete soon.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 2:29 AM

Crews are back at the site putting the base down for the ramps.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:52 PM

Yea, the machines are back and have been for a couple weeks now. They appear to be working full steam on this, and making good progress.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure