HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 8:33 PM

That'd be cool. I've never been to an online meetup before.

And with regards to SEC Phase III, or the South Engineering Research Complex, as it's been officially entitled now, looks like UA beats up both to the punch. These were posted to the UA Engineering Alumni Facebook group and are credited to UA.

Quote:

The College of Engineering's newest buildting, the South Engineering Research Facility, opened in Jan. 2012. This view is from on top of Shelby Hall looking across the forming Science and Engineering Quad. Campus Drive used to cut through this space.

Inside one of the two entrances to SERC, looking to the third floor.

Shelby Hall as seen from inside one of SERC's main entrances.

The first floor hall between the two main entrances of SERC. The Science and Engineering Comples is seen through the window.

The third floor concourse, which allows visitors an impressive view of Shelby Hall and, below, the second floor. The third floor is home mostly to faculty and graduate student offices.

The second floor concourse. This will likely be a heavily used area by students since instructional labs and research lab offices take up most of the second floor.

A closer look of one of the main entrances. SERC's classical design features brick and limestone as the pirmary materials, matching Shelby Hall and the Science and Engineering Complex.

The entrance to SERC from Seventh Avenue, roughly across from Ferguson Center. Houser Hall is seen in the back. Though the side of the building, this s a heavily used entrance by students.

One of nine flexible use instructional labs in SERC. The labs can hold up to 36 students and can be used by any of the College's seven departments.

One of two 90-seat lecutre halls in SERC. Including the lecture halls, SERC has seven large multimedia classrooms that hold 40, 50 and 90 students. Faculty from all seven departments teach in SERC.

The Large Structures Laboratory. Research labs were still being set up when pictures were taken in January. On the right is a Reconfigurable Reaction Wall, sort of a large building block set that allows faculty and students to rearrange as needed for structural testing.

The view of the Large Structures Lab from the second-floor lobby. Windows allow people to view the research labs, highlighting the theme of the building, "engineering on display."

The second-floor view of the Electromechanical Systems Laboratory, which used to be in East Engineering. The new lab is bigger and more functional. One lab test station is more powerful than the old lab.

Inside the Electromechanical Lab.

Inside a test cell in the Engines and Combustion Laboratory. This cell will house the chassis dynamometer that can test vehicles of up to 630 horsepower and can accommodate vehicles of up to 14,000 pounds with a nominal operating speed of 110 mph.

The hallway to test cells in the Engines and Combustion Lab. The lab is essentially a separate building within SERC with its own HVAC and ventilation. It can do EPA-rated emmissions testing, and has a detached fuel storage area next to the building.

The back of SERC. The large bay doors to the Structres Lab can be seen on the right. Houser Hall is on the left.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 7:57 AM

Thanks Feeno for posting. These are awesome pics. Wonder why UA doesn't already have them posted to the website?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 10:57 PM

Some great new aerials from this afternoon. These were taken by a user on Reddit, so I won't imbed them until I know for sure how the owner feels about uploading them to Wikimedia Commons.

imgur.com/a/sug6I

EDIT: n/m I didn't know how to link to the photos directly. Warning, they're big.

Again, credit goes to reddit user gtr053

EDIT AGAIN: Removed direct links because they were too huge.

Last edited by ttownfeen; Feb 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 11:17 PM

Edit.

Last edited by ttownfeen; Feb 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 11:47 PM
Constant Vigilance!

^ Great pictures of the campus. It's amazing all the development taking place

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 12:16 AM

Center will make UA 'nerve center' for water research

Quote:
Ground was broken on the University of Alabama campus Tuesday morning for a structure federal officials are calling the national “nerve center” for water research.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration National Water Center will serve as a central location for collaboration between academic institutions across the country and the more than 20 federal agencies involved in critical water research.

UA trustees approved construction of the 60,000-square-foot structure in June 2011. The water center will be located at 300 Hackberry Lane, on a lot between UA's Riverside residential community and the Bryce Hospital campus.

The center is expected to be completed by 2014 and will be paid for by NOAA, which is leasing the property from UA. After that June trustees meeting, UA Vice President for Research Joe Benson said NOAA has just under $25 million set aside for the total project budget.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 12:19 AM

More photos of the new construction at the Science and Engineering campus from the UA College of Engineering Alumni group.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 1:31 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I can't wait to find out what kind of stuff they'll actually be doing at the water center. Probably the Geography nerd in me, but I'm quite excited!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:55 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Roll Tide! UA's Women's Gymnastics team wins the 2012 NCAA National Title. Their 6th total and 2nd in a row!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:30 AM

Russell Hall Renovation and Expansion

http://http://www.facebook.com/#!/ph...type=3&theater

This is a link to Todd media's FB page, which shows an aerial view of Russell Hall undergoing renovation and remodeling. The photo in the link was taken several months ago. Does anyone have updated pics? I'm so curious to see how they are going to modify this building to make it fit better with campus architechture. It is the old Student Health/Nursing Building.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater here is another one from Todd Media's FB page, showing an aerial view of the new "Presidential Residence Hall."

Anyone know how to embed images? I tried, and all I saw after posting, was a little box with a red x in it.

Last edited by atlanta68; Jun 26, 2012 at 1:54 AM. Reason: image didn't appear

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 2:20 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
http://http://www.facebook.com/#!/ph...type=3&theater

This is a link to Todd media's FB page, which shows an aerial view of Russell Hall undergoing renovation and remodeling. The photo in the link was taken several months ago. Does anyone have updated pics? I'm so curious to see how they are going to modify this building to make it fit better with campus architechture. It is the old Student Health/Nursing Building.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater here is another one from Todd Media's FB page, showing an aerial view of the new "Presidential Residence Hall."

Anyone know how to embed images? I tried, and all I saw after posting, was a little box with a red x in it.
I'll try to take a picture or two next time I'm on campus during the daytime. It really doesn't look that impressive, kinda like the nursing building just in a linear form instead of a corner. I really think they could've been a bit more creative with the design; however, I do like the windows on the sides of the building.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 2:24 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, here are some pictures I've taken around campus that I have on Instagram. Nothing spectacular, but it's always nice to gaze at the University

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:39 PM

I think I did state who the photo belonged to: Todd Media. The photos were taken by Todd Media. Gee. What is the problem here?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 2:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Picture of the new bike lanes that the University is starting to use around campus. Here's a list of roads that now have this particular kind of two way bike lane:

- 6th Ave (eastern side of The Quad)
- Capstone Drive (northern side of The Quad)
- Colonial Drive from Capstone Drive to Paul W Bryant Drive

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 5:55 PM
---

Looks great. I think I walked that sidewalk about 6 trillion times.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 7:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Here's a picture of the Hackberry side of Russell Hall. I don't know what's going on anymore; the construction workers are working well into 10PM to 11PM lately. ANYWAYS, the building looks better than I could have ever expected. In this pictures, you can see the beautiful new courtyard that literally appeared overnight.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 2:16 AM
---

Correct me if I am wrong, but did they not do a minor face-lift to Russell a few years ago?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 3:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Either way, the building is looking gorgeous now. I initially questioned the ability of the University to change the building so dramatically, but now I'm convinced. The addition of the Hackberry plaza has been a very nice touch, and it makes that part of the campus feel even more like a college.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 5:56 PM
Constant Vigilance!

Of course...I leave campus and they begin to finish up the touches on projects. Looks amazing though

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 2:59 AM

I need to go inside Russell and see how much they redid the inside. The back part looks like its always been a part of the building. They did a great job!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast