HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This would be a funnier joke if it didn't have cost overruns in the millions of dollars.
My thoughts exactly, it is a joke

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:06 PM

Might this have been the only way to finish it without going even further over budget?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:31 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It has taken them 2 years and besides, it utilizes cement curb and gutter. Neither would suggest it is temporary.
I am sure that you realize that I mean the 2 lanes instead of 4 lanes is temporary (would permanent for the immediate future be better wording?). Yes, the curb does seem to indicate that it is permanent but the wide green spaces seems to indicate that there is room for more lanes in the future. It appears to be wider than this 4 lane underpass - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...02.56,,0,17.78 .

There must be an explanation from someone who knows more than we do. Maybe they built only 2 lanes instead of 4 lanes to save a few hundred thousand dollars, but it might have the opening width to be expanded in the future? After all, Councillor Watts wanted to leave it unfinished as a symbol of HRM's fiscal responsibility. I read a bit in the HRM minutes, but couldn't find an explanation for the 2 lanes; I can't imagine that someone decided to build a traffic bottleneck just to have green space under a bridge, which won't be able to grow grass without sunlight.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It appears to be wider than this 4 lane underpass - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...02.56,,0,17.78 .

This is actually three lanes under the overpass and a narrow sidewalk.
The nice thing about this overpass is it's wide enough for six lanes above to carry Highway 102. It's amazing that decades ago DOT had enough sense to build most of the Bi-Hi overpasses six lanes wide for future expansion. This includes the new washmill lake underpass which has five lanes above with room for atleast one more.

Quote:
I can't imagine that someone decided to build a traffic bottleneck just to have green space under a bridge, which won't be able to grow grass without sunlight.
I agree, this makes no sense. Maybe someone at HRM is planning on putting a community garden in the greenspace under the overpass?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 4:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

This is actually three lanes under the overpass and a narrow sidewalk.
The nice thing about this overpass is it's wide enough for six lanes above to carry Highway 102. It's amazing that decades ago DOT had enough sense to build most of the Bi-Hi overpasses six lanes wide for future expansion. This includes the new washmill lake underpass which has five lanes above with room for atleast one more.
My mistake, it is only 3 lanes but one lane looks to be wider than a normal width lane. When I checked this underpass fairly carefully with the ruler in Google Earth I get a clear width of 50 feet for the Kearney Lake Road underpass (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...h&vpsrc=6&z=19). Although the Washmill Lake underpass was under construction when the Google Earth imagery (and Google Maps imagery) was updated, I get an opening width of 77 feet. So I feel confident that there is enough room for 4 lanes, sidewalks and bike lanes throught the Washmill Lake underpass.

I have a feeling that the 2 lanes will be increased to 4 lanes in a couple years once the focus on the budget over-run has been largely forgotten

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:42 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
My mistake, it is only 3 lanes but one lane looks to be wider than a normal width lane. When I checked this underpass fairly carefully with the ruler in Google Earth I get a clear width of 50 feet for the Kearney Lake Road underpass (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...h&vpsrc=6&z=19). Although the Washmill Lake underpass was under construction when the Google Earth imagery (and Google Maps imagery) was updated, I get an opening width of 77 feet. So I feel confident that there is enough room for 4 lanes, sidewalks and bike lanes throught the Washmill Lake underpass.

I have a feeling that the 2 lanes will be increased to 4 lanes in a couple years once the focus on the budget over-run has been largely forgotten
Yeah, but I wish they just did it initially. This is the HRM, sometimes widening the road is more of an issue of resistance.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 7:48 PM

Still not open. I have not seen any work being done since last Wednesday. I saw a couple of cars parked along the side of the hill and that was it. I see new telephone polls, but no lights or cables. The positioning of these polls is interesting, though. They will need to be moved once HRM realizes they need 4 lanes... Such nonsense...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 8:10 PM

Still not open...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 10:28 PM

Not open today, Nov. 28th...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:56 AM

As of 12:00 am Nov 30, it's still closed. What in hell is taking them so long? I know they have the street lights up east of the 102. They said 2-3 weeks, well, it's almost 4 weeks and there's absolutely no mention of an expected opening date. What is going on? HRM had better have a good reason for this.

What would be really funny is if the road is still closed come Christmas Day, at which point, I would certainly expect an epic scandal to break out at city hall (if the delay actually gets that long).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkannegi View Post
As of 12:00 am Nov 30, it's still closed. What in hell is taking them so long? I know they have the street lights up east of the 102. They said 2-3 weeks, well, it's almost 4 weeks and there's absolutely no mention of an expected opening date. What is going on? HRM had better have a good reason for this.

What would be really funny is if the road is still closed come Christmas Day, at which point, I would certainly expect an epic scandal to break out at city hall (if the delay actually gets that long).
I was just thumbing through the halifax.ca website. It still reads that the pass will completed 31-Mar-2011.

"Provincial/Municipal Infrastructure stimulus project are well underway. Construction beginning along side the Highway Construction of the entire HRM project is anticipated to be completed by March 31, 2011 and the private developer completion of the remaining portions of Regency Park Drive are expected to follow closely behind." Washmill Lake Extension

D'oh!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:19 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

There is currently a "behind closed door" meeting where council is meeting to decide who is going to take the blame for this.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
There is currently a "behind closed door" meeting where council is meeting to decide who is going to take the blame for this.
I wonder if the doors are still closed... My wife got another job, which is not in Bayers Lake, because it was too difficult to get in and out of the park. The bus routes out there are awful (although I did hear they changed the 52).

I now I hear people are crying because the bus route doesn't go through the parking lot anymore. Wow...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieShore View Post
I now I hear people are crying because the bus route doesn't go through the parking lot anymore. Wow...
It's a real problem, because the destinations people want to visit are a long distance from the main drag through there and there are no pedestrian walkwways to get then there from the road. Look at the ridiculous setup by the Superstore and Walmart. There is a long walk uphill that requires one to either climb a steep grassy bank or walk in the middle of traffic along the entry road because there is no other place.

TPTB need to route the buses in front of the stores and if that means reconfiguring the parking lots to accommodate it, then so be it.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 5:29 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
It's a real problem, because the destinations people want to visit are a long distance from the main drag through there and there are no pedestrian walkwways to get then there from the road. Look at the ridiculous setup by the Superstore and Walmart. There is a long walk uphill that requires one to either climb a steep grassy bank or walk in the middle of traffic along the entry road because there is no other place.

TPTB need to route the buses in front of the stores and if that means reconfiguring the parking lots to accommodate it, then so be it.
This.

Hey urban planners, can a municipality demand better design for parking lots at large commercial spaces? BL is bad, but so is almost every Empire strip mall... everywhere.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
This.

Hey urban planners, can a municipality demand better design for parking lots at large commercial spaces? BL is bad, but so is almost every Empire strip mall... everywhere.
I must be getting soft in my old age. Mason and I are agreeing with each other far too often these days.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 11:18 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
I must be getting soft in my old age. Mason and I are agreeing with each other far too often these days.

KP, look, go watch Fox News for 24 hours, and I'll go listen to NPR streaming audio, let's meet back here same time tomorrow and see how many things we then can fight about.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 5:18 AM
we built this city

All political spectrums meet somewhere...

In Halifax, everybody is a cynic.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 6:40 AM

Quote:

Pretty basic stuff, Dont know too many people who would complain about some steps or leveling the grade a bit. It would be funny if you tore him up about it though hah

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 6:42 AM

Wait.....I have a brilliant idea, lets build some new sidewalks, somewhere, anywhere really.....anyone disagree?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure