HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:28 PM
Man of Many Statistics

I don't get it. Is she doing that right? Even if she is, how is that supposed to make me want to hop on one? I'd feel silly.

Last edited by dante2308; Mar 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 8:00 PM

Well it will be a cold day before me and the missus ride over to the Piccadilly on a contraption like that. Can you see us cruising down I-75 on that thing.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 9:36 PM
Man of Many Statistics

??????

It's too confounding for me to be imagining you or anyone else riding down the highway on that thing. I'm also confused about the one-piece orange um...outfit (sorry I really tried to think of the name for whatever she is wearing). Is she exercising on it? Is she sitting in it? Is she facing the right direction? Is it falling over? Is she upset or in trouble? Should we help her?

I'm sorry I just don't get it.

I hope people don't associate EV's with whatever that thing alleges to be. I hereby repost nice and normal Tesla:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 5:35 PM

Can't wait for the Model S, but I wont be able to afford it

Volt and Leaf will be a bit more affordable. Not as sexy but the tech is still awesome.
http://www.freep.com/article/2010033...riced-at-32780

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/30/e...vy-volt-video/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 12:32 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
Can't wait for the Model S, but I wont be able to afford it

Volt and Leaf will be a bit more affordable. Not as sexy but the tech is still awesome.
http://www.freep.com/article/2010033...riced-at-32780

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/30/e...vy-volt-video/
The Tesla Bluestar will be in the 20-30k range and would be out for the 2012 model year. I hope Nissan and GM haven't blown them out of the water by then.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:26 PM

Well what kind of power do you need to plug those things in, and if so how much is the bill?

Also I see where Obama says they can start drilling off Georgia so I guess we will get some more gas.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well what kind of power do you need to plug those things in, and if so how much is the bill?

Also I see where Obama says they can start drilling off Georgia so I guess we will get some more gas.
They all plug into standard 120v outlet. Tesla states that 5 dollars of electricity will take you 230 miles. I think the Tesla and Volt have the ability to plug into a 240v outlet, which decreases charging time.

I'm all for drilling for more oil in the US but if you look at the amount we and the world uses per day it wont make a dent in the price of gas. But it will create more jobs and still adds to the amount we'll produce domestically so I'm all for it.

I remember everyone saying Obama was foolish to suggest that making sure your tires were fully inflated was a good way to save money on gas, but that would have had a bigger impact in gas prices, for you and the world, than additional drilling.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 1:02 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Its simple. The entire GOP energy strategy has been enacted. Now there is no excuse to do nothing or to support nothing and we can move on with actual reform. The oil offshore is so insignificant that they might as well drill it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:14 AM

Ok, so now all of Atlanta's freeways will be bumper to bumper with energy efficient cars, so where the hell does that get us????

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 1:16 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Disraili View Post
Ok, so now all of Atlanta's freeways will be bumper to bumper with energy efficient cars, so where the hell does that get us????
Cleaner air and less asthma to start with.

Driving is down almost 8% from 2007 so it's less bumper to bumper than before. We can start carpooling more to get it down further and then we can add lanes or build mass transit. Or we can use the money we would spend doing either on incentives for people to live next to where they work. Or we can do nothing at all and let people figure it out on their own.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 1:50 PM

Isn't Georgia fined or penalized by the federal gov't based on amount of emissions released yearly?
This is why Atlanta will actually pay you to commute by walking, carpooling or cycling.
So Kenneth, the less emissions, the less fines, more Ga money to be spent on more marta, more lanes, light rail, whatever.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 2:32 PM

It's a total pollution (not global warming) and tech thing for me. When I'm running outside or walking around a smoggy day makes it miserable, it literally leaves a bad taste in your mouth... because you are actually tasting soot. The technology thats going into these things are fun to follow, and I'll pay to have it. It's like when people paid 3,000 for a 26 inch flatscreen tv, when you could buy a tube one for 300 bucks. I think Sony was selling their 15inch OLED tv for 1700, people bought it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:11 PM

Agreed. As an avid cyclist there are days I feel I could ride all day. And days I find myself climbing a hill and almost chewing the air, hacking and coughing. Sometimes you can just step outside and see or feel the weight or density of the air.
Any improvement is welcomed.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:24 PM

Neat picture: Space required to transport 60 people:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nblloyd...79623/sizes/o/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 6:21 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
Neat picture: Space required to transport 60 people:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nblloyd...79623/sizes/o/
You had me up until bicycle. Moving at 55-70 mph (legallly) means buses, trains, and cars move a lot of people over a patch of road quickly over long distances. A bicycle's only benefit is physical fitness for one individual. Otherwise you are really a danger to yourself an others out there. A slow moving danger. A slow moving danger that can't really carry anything besides a body from point A to B.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 9:43 PM

If you are going long distances this is definitely true. I have a couple years experience as a bike messenger. I live in the East Atlanta area. I could drive into work and park at 1180 P'tree and this would take me about 20-22 minutes in the a.m. On the bike its about 20 to downtown and 25 to midtown. I have friends that live in Mcdonough (28 miles) straight down 75 and its 30 minutes by car 1 hr. 20 on the bike.
In town you can keep a brisk pace and time the lights and make the same time as you would in a car, especially taking into consideration finding parking and then making your way to your destination.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 9:44 PM

Oh yeah, love the illustration.
Reminds me of "thirty Helens agree"
-Kids in the hall

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rythym View Post
Oh yeah, love the illustration.
Reminds me of "thirty Helens agree"
-Kids in the hall
I totally miss Kids in the Hall. Also Upright Citizens Brigade, and Stangers with Candy. If you dont know what we're talking about, look up Ass Pennies (headphones if you're at work), and Hot Chicks Room.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 5:01 PM

Nice. Thank you for the stroll.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 6:09 PM

Well, I don't know how in tarnation something like that is supposed to help people with their family values.

On the car vs. transit thing, here is something I come up with a long time ago but none of them seems to want to get on the bandwagon. I even wrote Obama about it but haven't heard nary a word from him or his people.

Anyway here's my idea. You put something like a big conveyor belt down the median of the expressways. You could even have it like a little high speed light rail train, except it would have flat cars instead of passenger cars. At certain places, you could just drive your car right up on it, and a machine would hook you right into the system. Then your car would go zipping along on the conveyor belt thing about 100 miles an hour with you sitting right there in it, eating a hamburger or listening to the radio or whatever. Except there would never be any wrecks or traffic jams and such because the machine would handle it all. When you get close to where you are going it puts you off on a side track and then you can start driving again on the road.

I would make it all electric cars so they can be charging up while they are riding along on the train/conveyor thing.

That way you get the best of both worlds, trains and cars and electric and traffic control and whatnot all rolled into one.

P.S. I'm not just blaming Obama because I told Perdue and them about and they didn't do a dang thing either.

Last edited by cybele; Apr 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta