HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8tr View Post
Yes, I'm in favour of them too. I heard that there are 70 planned roundabouts for Nova Scotia. So there will soon be no excuse for anyone to be ignorant about how they work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
There's three new ones I can think of in Nova Scotia; Exit 9 on Hwy 101, Alexandria St (Sydney), and Exit 5A on Hwy 101. All of those are generally on low volume roads.

Outside of Halifax I only know of Amherst having one in the plans.
Bridgewater is looking at installing at least one roundabout at the intersection of Aberdeen Road and North Street, near Highway 103's Exit 12 at Cookville to help handle the traffic heading to/from the 103 and the Cookville "business park" (Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 4:22 AM

I've started a "compilation" list on the first post to keep track of the roundabouts in the Halifax area. If I forgot any just post it and I'll add it on. From memory I have been able to list 10 that are planned and the three under construction (per say) on Larry Uteck and of course Halifax's only serviced roundabout in Armdale. I think I remember reading there are dozens planned right now in HRM so if you know of any please share.

On another note last week I used the new roundabout in Windsor on Wentworth Rd (Exit 5A) a couple of times and it seems to work very efficiently. Traffic was light when I passed through so I didn't even have to fully stop and having cars slow to around 30km/h will help the speeding problem found on many roads with interchanges on them.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 7:38 PM

This is going before Committee of the Whole next week; http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...100511cow3.pdf

It basically is asking for Council's endorsement for roundabouts in HRM and has a few designs in Appendix "B" for the four proposed on the Peninsula.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 7:58 PM

excellent, hopefully these will be constructed sooner rather than later.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 8:36 PM

Hm, I don't think I support the roundabout design at the Willow Tree after seeing the proposal. The thing is a monster, and while I know the crosswalks need to be distanced from the circle for safety, it's unreasonable to expect people to walk that far. You might think pedestrian levels are low there, but I went to QEH and Citadel and there are literally small crowds of students crossing at times.

Some of the other plans look reasonable...but the Willow Tree roundabout looks absolutely treacherous to cross.

(measured on Google Earth based on the normal route of someone heading toward CHS or Spring Garden)

combine that with the increased speed of traffic and I think this is a step in the wrong direction given the number of pedestrians here.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 9:46 PM

Absolutely ridiculous except perhaps for the one at Agricola. These use significantly more real estate and the proposals see loss of mature trees and private property. Putting one in at the Willow Tree intersection would be a total disaster. The only place these things should even be considered would be at existing 4-way stop intersections, which are real time-wasters. I also note that the one at Devonshire/Duffus/Novalea, which staff declared dead just a few months ago, has magically reappeared.

I would have hoped that traffic staff would be trying to fix the real problem intersections in this town, like the Windsor St Abortion, rather than wasting time on idiotic ideas like this.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 12:05 PM

From todays Herald.

City could take direct route to roundabouts

Council to consider recommendations for 4 potential traffic circles

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE

Staff Reporter

The shape of things to come re garding future traffic management in metro is apparently circular.

That’s because “given the con siderable benefits of roundabouts in certain situations" municipal staff are recommending Halifax regional council embrace traffic circles instead of sanctioning intersections with four-way stops or traffic signals.

If the politicians agree, the municipality will roll out an ambi tious public education program before vehicles roll through a circular intersection in a counter clockwise direction.

A staff report, to be presented to council’s committee of the whole Tuesday, identifies four potential locations for a roundabout. These are: • The Willow Tree intersection (Quinpool/Robie/Cogswell/Bell) • Cunard/North Park/Agricola • North Park/Cogswell/Trollope/ Ahern/Rainnie • Devonshire/Novalea/Duffus The last one on the list was a proposed roundabout that was ditched by city staff in January.

But Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Hali fax North End) said then the concept could still be resurrected this spring, after area residents and business operators are con sulted Mayor Peter Kelly said he’ll need to be convinced that round abouts are the way to go.

“To build new ones . . . in in tersections that appear to work well — I would have some issues with," he told The Chronicle Herald Saturday.

Roundabouts are used in Eur ope and other parts of North America.

According to Transport Canada, “modern well-designed round abouts have been shown to signif icantly improve the safety of the intersections when compared with the previous traffic control condi tion."

With respect to the Willow Tree intersection in Halifax, municipal staff plan to upgrade it.

“Our intention is to consider a roundabout," Ken Reashor, Hali fax Regional Municipality’s acting director of transportation and public works, told Halifax Maga zine last month.

“The analysis that we’ve done, and we’ve computer-modelled it, is that a two-lane roundabout would . . . improve the operation there."

The staff report says not only would traffic circles improve intersections, they’ll provide local communities with better esthetics. “There is typically more green space available at roundabouts" which can be landscaped, it says.

(mlightstone@herald.ca)

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 8:52 PM

My Analysis

Novelea:

The roundabout looks excellent for the location. I have not used the intersection much so I cannot comment on the traffic flow or pedestrian problems there might already be however on an asthetic note a roundabout at the north-side of Hydrostone could be a nice gateway for the neighbourhood just like the Market is for the south.

Cunard:

Good idea logically and asthetically. A single lane roundabout would aid motorists turning left from North Park onto Cunard. Also it would have the more subtle benefit of adding a bit of parkland onto the Commons. I dislike the awkward piece of grass left in front of the Armoury though.

Willow Tree:

This one's iffy to me. It would make sense to upgrade the intersection but this looks like an Armdale Roundabout placed in the middle of town. The large radius and multiple lanes would make pedestrians trying to cross a bit nervous.

Ahern/Trollope:

Good idea for a bad intersection. I don't particularily like that it is going to be two lanes however the crosswalks are near the intersection and since two of the roads are one-way and traffic volumes aren't overly high this shouldn't pose as serious problem.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 9:54 PM

I've had a look at the proposed designs:

Novalea:
My concern would be mainly about the loss of some of the mature trees - I'd like to see them moved or retained if at all possible. My other concerns are the access points for the lawtons and the large grass area that would be in front of it on Novalea. I'd say close off one of the two off Duffus and make it one single, wide driveway crossing. The two crossings dont' make sense to me. Plus, I forsee that whole grassy strip being covered with temporary signs for that mall - won't be pretty.

The Trollope/North Park one looks pretty good. I'd not want to tree the centre though - given the high volume of traffic and ability to see pedestrians (during rush hours).

As for Robie/Cogswell - if it will make the traffic in this area improve, I'd say go for it. I like the idea of treeing the centre I think is actually a great homage (did I spell that right) to the Willow Tree of days past. I miss that tree, sad to say. Could even put up a plaque somewhere on one side (or a couple of them) to make it a visitor thing. Loss of mature trees near the baseball field is a problem - but if they could be moved, great.

Cunard - I have to agree with the patch of greenspace in front of the armoury - but it could also be a spot to plant some mature trees?

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 1:56 PM

another article:

Roundabouts proposed for Halifax

Last Updated: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 | 9:22 AM AT Comments11Recommend8CBC News
The drawing on the right shows how the intersection of Quinpool and Robie would look as a roundabout. (Halifax Regional Municipality)
Halifax regional councillors are considering whether to turn four busy intersections into roundabouts.

Municipal traffic officials say these traffic circles are safer and more efficient, though also more expensive than upgrading the existing traffic lights. They will present their case to councillors on Tuesday.

But Coun. Jerry Blumenthal said he isn't convinced.

"I'm not for cars, I'm for pedestrians," said Blumenthal, who could see a roundabout in his north-end Halifax district.

"What are we doing? We're $30 million in the hole and now we're talking about roundabouts, especially this one, for $1 milllion."

The intersection of Duffus, Devonshire and Novalea streets is one of four potential roundabout sites in the city. The other three intersections are:

Quinpool, Robie, Cogswell, Bell
Cunard, North Park, Agricola
North Park, Cogswell, Rainnie, Trollope, Ahern
Municipal staff say there are about 70 per cent fewer accidents for both cars and pedestrians in roundabouts compared to traditional intersections with traffic lights.

The Nova Scotia government plans to build six roundabouts in the Halifax Regional Municipality this year: three along Larry Uteck Boulevard and Highway 102 and three along Margeson Drive and Highway 101

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...#ixzz0nd404gha

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 6:17 PM

I support roundabouts 100%
I cannot stand 4 way stops, or 5 star lanes with traffic lights (which should never occur in the first place).

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:56 PM

When I was in town today I was thinking of roundabouts and the idea of one at the Willow Tree is beginning to warm up on me.

In the document its mentioned that roundabouts could be used as an upgrade for 4-way stops. With this in mind the intersection of Inglis St and South Park could be a good candidate. There's space on three sides to expropriate land, the traffic volumes do not warrant traffic lights, and it would keep the slowing idea but allow traffic to flow uninterrupted.

The other 4-way stops that I know of in town are;

South @ Barrington (no space)
Morris @ Queen (no space)
Summer @ Sackville (potential)
Russell @ Gottingen (potential)
South @ Oxford (potential)

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 1:34 AM
You talkin' to me?

Halifax roundabouts a go

Council votes unanimously

Halifax regional council has agreed to turn four busy intersections into roundabouts.

All councillors voted in favour of the projects Tuesday.

Municipal traffic officials say these traffic circles are safer and more efficient, though also more expensive than upgrading the existing traffic lights. They will present their case to councillors on Tuesday.

But Coun. Jerry Blumenthal said Monday that he isn't convinced.

"I'm not for cars, I'm for pedestrians," said Blumenthal, who could see a roundabout in his north-end Halifax district.

"What are we doing? We're $30 million in the hole and now we're talking about roundabouts, especially this one, for $1 milllion."

The intersection of Duffus, Devonshire and Novalea streets is one of four potential roundabout sites in the city. The other three intersections are:

* Quinpool, Robie, Cogswell, Bell
* Cunard, North Park, Agricola
* North Park, Cogswell, Rainnie, Trollope, Ahern

Municipal staff say there are about 70 per cent fewer accidents for both cars and pedestrians in roundabouts compared to traditional intersections with traffic lights.

The Nova Scotia government plans to build six roundabouts in the Halifax Regional Municipality this year: three along Larry Uteck Boulevard and Highway 102 and three along Margeson Drive and Highway 101.

HRM transporation manager Ken Reashore said municipally owned roundabouts won't be built overnight.

"The earliest that could happen, if everyone was in agreement, would be next year or the year after," he said Tuesday.

Coun. Debbie Hum is counting the days until the roundabouts in her district are built.

"I'm getting excited about the Larry Uteck roundabouts because I see the potential for a lot of traffic to move through there," she said.

Those roundabouts could be ready by the end of July.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 5:09 AM
Honored Member

It sounds like a good idea, but how do pedestrians cross three lanes of traffic in this roundabout?

(source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...#ixzz0nd404gha )

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It sounds like a good idea, but how do pedestrians cross three lanes of traffic in this roundabout?

(source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...#ixzz0nd404gha )
I think the white lines on the drawing are meant to represent the pedestrian pathways to get across the whole thing - so even though the sidewalks aren't shown - you can get the idea.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 11:39 AM
Honored Member

Since there is no traffic light, during heavy traffic it seems like getting across safely will be a hazard to any pedestrian. It would make sense to have pedestrian bridges at these locations except that will greatly increase the cost and some people won't like climbing across a bridge. I can see the concern for pedestrians; it will be like crossing a 6 lane street in the middle of a block (but with a crosswalk).

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 2:13 PM

I wonder what there planning for the center of the roundabouts? I hope it's something better than whats at armdale.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 3:34 PM

The Willow Tree roundabout looks like it would take out a lot of mature trees, and the questions on pedestrian crossings weren't even discussed by Ken Reashor (I get the impression pedestrians are far from his priority). If the white lines are the crosswalks it will take a lot longer to walk around the Willow Tree in almost any direction. And as many people have asked, without lights will any cars stop?

I think it's too early to be for or against this until we see more detailed designs and some better thought about how people might use these crosswalks.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Since there is no traffic light, during heavy traffic it seems like getting across safely will be a hazard to any pedestrian. It would make sense to have pedestrian bridges at these locations except that will greatly increase the cost and some people won't like climbing across a bridge. I can see the concern for pedestrians; it will be like crossing a 6 lane street in the middle of a block (but with a crosswalk).
I imagine they'd install flashing overhead lights at the crosswalks. It'd be similar to the crossing just down the street in front of the Welsford.

I know a couple of people have been hit (and probably one killed because of the cross nearby) at the Welsford corsswalk over the years so extra safety measures could be helpful on marked crossings without stoplights on Robie (theres at least one more further south too). Just off the top of my mind warning signs (already used at Welsford), zebra stripes, a stop line, and rumble strips coulds be installed to increase safety in the area.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Same way we've been navigating the Armdale rotary for years; by putting our lives at risk.

Something tells me there are going to be dangerous speeds coming into this circle, especially northbound on Robie down that little hill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure