HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 8:56 PM

As a driver, i have yet to encounter a praiseworthy roundabout. I hate all of them.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 10:06 PM

^Another one for you to test Keith P

Roundabout in Sackville set to open
Published on June 16, 2011
Yvette d'Entremont

The long-awaited Middle Sackville roundabout opens this week, and a public awareness campaign is now underway to ensure local drivers are comfortable navigating the roadway.
"Over the last couple of weeks the final layer of pavement was laid, the lines were drawn, and the roundabout's installed and waiting on final inspection," local MLA Mat Whynott said late last week. "We now want to get out our education piece for residents to know what to expect when the roundabout and the interchange are open."
The advertising campaign outlining how to use the interchange/roundabout is being rolled out over the next two weeks. Whynott said the roundabout was expected to open by the end of this week, with an official ribbon cutting slated for the near future.
Last weekend, a large advertisement appeared in a local newspaper, and two others are scheduled to appear in The Weekly News over the next two weeks. Whynott said the ads will provide information for residents who don't know how to use a roundabout.
"It is straightforward but it will take time for people to learn. These are new for the area, and a new thing for Nova Scotia," Whynott said. "I think it's probably a good thing we did wait until now to open it up because it could have added to people's safety concerns if we'd done it in the winter with uncertain weather."
In April, Whynott hosted an information meeting attended by 35 people. He has also addressed the issue in his newsletter, community column, and by directly calling residents who have expressed concerns to him.
He said the ads outline basic information about roundabouts and include a web address where residents can find additional diagrams and descriptions.
"This (interchange and roundabout) will ensure that people get to their destinations, whether it's the valley or Halifax, faster and more safely and it will create an opportunity for business to grow in the Middle and Upper Sackville area," he said.
Whynott believes the amount of traffic passing through the area surrounding the roundabout could prove attractive to a wide range of businesses.
He said despite misgivings some people may have about using the roadway, he's confident residents will get used to it, particularly when they experience a decrease in the traffic snarls that often plague the area.
The $22 million roundabout and off-ramp project benefitted from provincial dollars, federal infrastructure funding and a contribution from HRM.
"At the end of the day this is good for the community," Whynott said. "It's the largest investment any government has ever made to this area."
The provincial government's website provides detailed information about how to navigate roundabouts. It can be found at http://gov.ns.ca/tran/hottopics/roundabout.asp.

ydentremont@hfxnews.ca

Halifaxnewsnet Article

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:36 AM

So I have driven all 8 functioning roundabouts in Metro Halifax on at least a couple of occasions now and I have to say they are awesome. While not every intersection is suitable for this type of improvement I think a lot more of these in strategic locations could help traffic flow a lot around Halifax.

In addition to the ones proposed for the Peninsula I think the Province is on track with considering them at ALL highway interchanges. At road-highway interchanges they should be on both sides with some exceptions (ie small demand for highway from road).

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 5:39 AM

I'm still strongly against the one proposed for the Willow Tree. I've driven through it at from every direction at all hours and I think a roundabout would mostly be a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Plus, speaking as someone who crossed there every day for years to get to school, the added distance to walk to the crosswalk, and the fact that traffic never HAS to come to a complete standstill, would be a major inconvenience and a hazard to the hundreds of students crossing there daily.

Walking through the Armdale rotary on the way to Chocolate Lake feels dangerous as hell and I would hate to have the same situation in the middle of the city, particularly when the current setup isn't that problematic anyway. It might be a little more efficient, but I've never waited there for too long and it isn't worth the cost to the pedestrian (or the financial cost for that matter.)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 1:00 PM

Roundabouts work..... So long as everybody plays by the rules and yields to those currently in the circle.

Personally I love the new interest in roundabouts. They do move traffic along.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 1:40 PM

The ones up on Larry Uteck are ridiculously bad. They are too close to each other and too tight. Seems a foolish way to avoid the cost of signalized intersections.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The ones up on Larry Uteck are ridiculously bad. They are too close to each other and too tight. Seems a foolish way to avoid the cost of signalized intersections.
I think they work well for the area.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I'm still strongly against the one proposed for the Willow Tree. I've driven through it at from every direction at all hours and I think a roundabout would mostly be a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Plus, speaking as someone who crossed there every day for years to get to school, the added distance to walk to the crosswalk, and the fact that traffic never HAS to come to a complete standstill, would be a major inconvenience and a hazard to the hundreds of students crossing there daily.

Walking through the Armdale rotary on the way to Chocolate Lake feels dangerous as hell and I would hate to have the same situation in the middle of the city, particularly when the current setup isn't that problematic anyway. It might be a little more efficient, but I've never waited there for too long and it isn't worth the cost to the pedestrian (or the financial cost for that matter.)
I would agree that a round-about may not be the best solution for Quinpool and Robie but I do think there should be one at Cogswell and North Park St. Its almost setup like a round about now anyway.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I think they work well for the area.
As do I.

These are the "new design" roundabouts. Nice and compact. No multi-acre monstrosities. They are the standard design that the government has been pushing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 10:10 PM

From Councillor Watt's community emails;

Roundabouts: Public Consultation

The intersections at Cunard/North Park/Agricola and Rainnie/Cogswell/North Park need to be upgraded. Neither of these intersections meets national transportation standards and both suffer from aging underground infrastructure, problematic traffic flow, frequent collisions and poor connectivity from street to street. These intersections are confusing to travel through, be it on foot, on bicycle, or in a vehicle. In 2010, Halifax Regional Council adopted in principle the use of modern roundabouts on municipal roads where appropriate design guidelines and standards can be met. The report is at: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...100511cow3.pdf

For further information go to: http://www.halifax.ca/Roundabouts/

In February and March 2013, HRM is planning to engage the various stakeholders in this area as well as the general public in two sessions. These sessions will invite input from stakeholders and citizens in order to shape the look and feel of a renewed public space at the intersections and along the North Park corridor. These groups will be given the opportunity to view the two options (roundabouts or upgraded traffic signals) and provide feedback. Further information will be provided once dates for consultation are confirmed.

Personally I am pleased to see roundabouts are still on the table. I don't mind the Cunard intersection much but the Cogswell intersection is a disaster. Installing new roundabouts here should help big time with traffic flow, safety, simplicity, and moving bicycles and pedestrians in a more efficient manner. Also with the planned bicycle lanes on Agricola Street roundabouts are a much safer way of moving cyclists around and ideas could be tossed around for upgrading the adjacent streets at the same time to include bike lanes or paths.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 1:09 AM

Oh, dear god...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Oh, dear god...
Agree. Whats with all the hype with roundabouts?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 4:55 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I've seen examples where they work pretty well, and they seem naturally suited to intersections of more than two streets.

Roundabout or not, these intersections do need an overhaul. They look like they haven't changed since the 1940's and they're unpleasant for everybody, whether they're in a car or not.

I think all of Cogswell should be re-thought in preparation for the redevelopment of the interchange. The street was clearly designed to connect to a highway that was never built. It's ill-suited to pedestrians and in the future Cogswell and Brunswick is going to be a busy spot. It doesn't make sense to have a suburban-style arterial that connects with narrow streets in an area packed with high-density, pedestrian-oriented residential buildings.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Roundabout or not, these intersections do need an overhaul. They look like they haven't changed since the 1940's and they're unpleasant for everybody, whether they're in a car or not.
I live a block away and walk thorugh the Cogswell/North Park intersection every day with my head on a swivel. At least once a week I witness a near miss, so something needs to happen. Just last week, a car almost ran into me pushing my son in his stroller. The driver didn't even notice...

Personally I think a roundabout could work if its done properly (narrower lanes, low speed limits, visible crosswalks, etc.)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:13 PM

The intersection of Agricola-North Park-Cunard at the Armoury needs to be examined as well. I drive down Agricola every day. and it baffles me why the green light at Agricola (heading toward North Park) has to compete with inbound traffic coming from Cunard. It should be simple - Green light on Agricola, red light on Cunard. I'm afraid somebody is get hurt while rubber necking over their shoulder for traffic from Cunard and get rearended. There isn't even a yield sign, yet people will stop while merging... very dangerous.

As far as the proposed Roundabout... do we really need Rannie Drive? I mean you can get where you need to go downtown if you turn down Cogswell. It is already closed access with businesses only being right at Brunswick St. I think Rannie could be a good candidite for other uses (maybe as an extension of the common toward dowtown. Or like Victoria Park off Spring Garden.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 5:27 PM

I don't have a problem with roundabouts per se, but I'm not a fan of having 2+ lanes in small roundabouts as is the case with the ones on Larry Uteck. I've found that there seems to be no right answer as to which lane you choose to be in to make your chosen exit sometimes.

If you're going straight through it's a no brainer - choose the right lane and stay in it.

However, if you need to exit 270° from your entrance point it's all up in the air.
- Intuitively you would think that choosing the left lane to enter the circle and merging into the right lane to exit would be the best choice. However, now that motorists are becoming more familiar with roundabouts they are becoming less careful and more aggressive when driving through them. The situation results that often if you enter in the left lane at a "reasonable" speed somebody will try to pass you in the circle from the right lane. When it comes time to exit to the right you risk collision on the right side in the event that the passing car intends to continue around the circle in the right lane.
- If you enter in the right lane to avoid this situation, then you run the risk of somebody trying to pass you in the left lane but wanting to go straight (i.e. exit the circle from the left lane), again risking a collision situation.

I have witnessed near collisions due to both of these scenarios on several occasions in these roundabouts.

Solution: 1 lane only in small roundabouts to take away the option for aggressive/thoughtless motorists.

The Armdale roundabout works much better now that they've developed "roundabout" rules, I think, so multi lanes should be OK in the larger ones.

I really hope that they give a lot of thought to these before they act on them as they can really be a pain in some circumstances. Though I agree that some of these odd intersections with weird angles and 5 or more entrance points need a better solution than the current situation.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I don't have a problem with roundabouts per se, but I'm not a fan of having 2+ lanes in small roundabouts as is the case with the ones on Larry Uteck. I've found that there seems to be no right answer as to which lane you choose to be in to make your chosen exit sometimes.

If you're going straight through it's a no brainer - choose the right lane and stay in it.

However, if you need to exit 270° from your entrance point it's all up in the air.
- Intuitively you would think that choosing the left lane to enter the circle and merging into the right lane to exit would be the best choice. However, now that motorists are becoming more familiar with roundabouts they are becoming less careful and more aggressive when driving through them. The situation results that often if you enter in the left lane at a "reasonable" speed somebody will try to pass you in the circle from the right lane. When it comes time to exit to the right you risk collision on the right side in the event that the passing car intends to continue around the circle in the right lane.
- If you enter in the right lane to avoid this situation, then you run the risk of somebody trying to pass you in the left lane but wanting to go straight (i.e. exit the circle from the left lane), again risking a collision situation.
Actually the way the Nine Mile/Starboard/Larry Uteck intersection is designed is for left-turns to only require the left-lane. You enter in the left-lane, turn into the left-lane and exit into the left-lane. There might still be some idiots who don't pay attention to the dotted lines but in the countless times I have used the intersection I've never had a problem with it. The way you do is also fine.

Quote:
The Armdale roundabout works much better now that they've developed "roundabout" rules, I think, so multi lanes should be OK in the larger ones.

I really hope that they give a lot of thought to these before they act on them as they can really be a pain in some circumstances. Though I agree that some of these odd intersections with weird angles and 5 or more entrance points need a better solution than the current situation.
I agree that Armdale is a lot better now. Using proper rules seem to make it work very well besides a few minor problems. Mainly the problems are the afternoon queue on Chebucto & Joe Howe and the confusion of motorists merging into the roundabout from Herring Cove. However, that said for what is likely the busiest intersection east of Quebec City the roundabout works very well.

IMO considering the high number of intersections in Halifax that either involve 5+ approaches or unusual approach angles I can easily see the city getting dozens of "major"-style roundabouts.

You mention that a single-lane roundabout might work better in most spots. I do agree with you and if you want to experience a large single-lane roundabout there is on off of Magazine Hill at the DND interchange. I've used it a few times to U-turn to get back to Bedford (a lot safer and quicker than going through Sunnyside during rush-hour from the 101).

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Actually the way the Nine Mile/Starboard/Larry Uteck intersection is designed is for left-turns to only require the left-lane. You enter in the left-lane, turn into the left-lane and exit into the left-lane. There might still be some idiots who don't pay attention to the dotted lines but in the countless times I have used the intersection I've never had a problem with it. The way you do is also fine.

I agree that Armdale is a lot better now. Using proper rules seem to make it work very well besides a few minor problems. Mainly the problems are the afternoon queue on Chebucto & Joe Howe and the confusion of motorists merging into the roundabout from Herring Cove. However, that said for what is likely the busiest intersection east of Quebec City the roundabout works very well.

IMO considering the high number of intersections in Halifax that either involve 5+ approaches or unusual approach angles I can easily see the city getting dozens of "major"-style roundabouts.

You mention that a single-lane roundabout might work better in most spots. I do agree with you and if you want to experience a large single-lane roundabout there is on off of Magazine Hill at the DND interchange. I've used it a few times to U-turn to get back to Bedford (a lot safer and quicker than going through Sunnyside during rush-hour from the 101).
Thanks for your insight - makes sense.

About the one on the Magazine Hill - just looked on Google Maps and couldn't find it.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...30084&t=k&z=16

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:19 PM

You're invited... come help shape your city.

HRM wants you to provide input on this redesign. Think about the future of the North Park area. These changes will impact you and all the others who work, play, shop or live in the surrounding neighbourhoods as well as the commuters who pass through daily.

When: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 from 7-9 pm
Where: Olympic Community Centre, 2305 Hunter Street, Halifax

http://www.halifax.ca/shapeyourcity/

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 11:41 PM

There's an online survey for "Shape Your City: North Park Intersections". I filled one out and made sure to emphasize the need to balance the street between the three main modes of transportation (pedestrians, cars, and bicycles). This street is one of the few areas in HRM where all three are combined into a high-capacity corridor.

I also strongly recommended the installation of roundabouts at the intersections.

http://halifax.ca/surveys/

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure