HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 5:58 PM

Interesting idea. I find it interesting that the roundabout that was built out here in Calgary for MacKenzie Towne has been a significant issue and very confusing. The city went and updated it to try to make things easier and now is having to undoe the work because it actually did the opposite! LOL

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 7:12 PM

^Maybe this is one of the cases where Halifax is smarter than Calgary?

Of the ten or so roundabouts spread around HRM I only have issues with two of them and not serious enough to warrant removal.

The Sackville Dr @ Margeson Dr one is way too tight. Even at the standard 30km/h in a small car it feels too fast. This could be fixed when the forth leg is constructed in a few years (connector to the proposed Beaverbank bypass called Maroon Drive I think).

The other one is Armdale. The design itself is wonderful its just it is now overcapacity for multiple hours a day. Simple traffic-light coordination and bus priority on the approaches could reduce the impact in the short-term until a permnament solution could be found (ie Northwest Arm Bridge).

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The other one is Armdale. The design itself is wonderful its just it is now overcapacity for multiple hours a day. Simple traffic-light coordination and bus priority on the approaches could reduce the impact in the short-term until a permnament solution could be found (ie Northwest Arm Bridge).
I'm not so sure about bringing back traffic lights - they had them on the old rotary but never really used them. Bus priority really makes no sense since the buses are queued up on the overloaded entry routes anyway.

Imagine avoiding the huge expense of an Arm bridge with this: two ramps, one from Chebucto to the Herring Cove Road, one from Quinpool to the Bay Road. They wouldn't cost much at all yet with grade separation of those two streams I bet the majority of delay would disappear.

The problem, of course, is that the councillor for the area (Mosher) has taken a position that nothing shall obstruct the view of the Arm from Dutch Village Road. Now, why you are looking at scenic views when driving instead of traffic was never brought up, but hey, this is Halifax, we can't improve anything, can we?

I really do think this relatively cheap and simple solution makes a lot of sense. That virtually guarantees it will never happen.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm not so sure about bringing back traffic lights - they had them on the old rotary but never really used them. Bus priority really makes no sense since the buses are queued up on the overloaded entry routes anyway.
I actually meant traffic lights near the roundabout but not in them. Install a set at Quinpool & MacDonald and that would allow the evening rush to be controlled to allow a break in traffic so vehicles from Chebucto and Joe Howe can get through in a reasonable time. They could also use the existing set at Chebucto & Mumford (MacDonald) to control it further.

This would be controversial but the Quinpool approach could be upgrading relatively cheap. If the two approach lanes dumped into the right and centre lanes respectively then the left lane (Herring Cove ONLY) could be marked as bus/HOV only. This would streamline the desired cars into the best lane for getting all the way around. Looking at the bus map it would help Route 32, and Route 6 could be shuffled slightly to take advantage of it as well.

Nothing inside the circle would change. Rather it would just be a slight widening (to get the lanes lined up) and new painting and signage for the Quinpool storage lanes.

- DJ

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure