HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
I suggested a few of those too over on the other thread:

The aforementioned Gottingen / Novalea?
Back in time - I don't remember whether it was the '70s, '80s or '90s - those who lived on the northern part of what was then Gottingen, up by the Hydrostone and further north all the way up to Convoy Place - petitioned their councillor for a name change to distance themselves from the slummy/crime-riddled part of Gottingen south of North St. The result was the tepid name of "Novalea Drive" for that section up north. Good luck trying to change that back, though ironically, there is now a short section south of Cornwallis that has revived itself somewhat, though I still wouldn't want to walk there at night, given last night's swarming.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Back in time - I don't remember whether it was the '70s, '80s or '90s - those who lived on the northern part of what was then Gottingen, up by the Hydrostone and further north all the way up to Convoy Place - petitioned their councillor for a name change to distance themselves from the slummy/crime-riddled part of Gottingen south of North St. The result was the tepid name of "Novalea Drive" for that section up north. Good luck trying to change that back, though ironically, there is now a short section south of Cornwallis that has revived itself somewhat, though I still wouldn't want to walk there at night, given last night's swarming.
Gottingen was renamed in '76 or '77 according to my mother. That very same petition arrived at her door. My parents had just moved in to the Hydrostone a year or two before the name change.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:29 PM

Quote:
... I still wouldn't want to walk there at night, given last night's swarming.
I thought the swarming was on the Common, not Gottingen St.?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:08 PM

Just up the hill from Gottingen.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
University / Morris
Was looking for exhibition buildings on NS archives earlier and stumbled upon the Royal Exhibition Building on the corner of Tower Road and Morris Street.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=680

Decided to look it up on Google Maps and remembered that Tower Road and Morris St. no longer intersect. That intersection is now Martello St. and University Ave.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Tow...4891cb6ef80ef6

I don't know much at all about this long-disappeared exhibition building - the best I can figure is it was located somewhere on the site of the VG hospital complex, many years ago. Also, I noticed that Tower Rd. as it extends down to Point Pleasant Park, actually continues to the pathway in the park known as Cambridge Dr. (strange to have a pathway in PPP notated by "Drive", but anyway), which eventually passes by the Prince of Wales Tower. This may or may not be common knowledge among Halifax's historians, but I now realize that Tower Road must have at one point gone all the way to the tower, and thus its name.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Robie's closer.... aren't you more scared of Robie?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:21 PM

Halifax swarming robberies investigated by police

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ated-1.3344000

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I don't know much at all about this long-disappeared exhibition building - the best I can figure is it was located somewhere on the site of the VG hospital complex, many years ago. Also, I noticed that Tower Rd. as it extends down to Point Pleasant Park, actually continues to the pathway in the park known as Cambridge Dr. (strange to have a pathway in PPP notated by "Drive", but anyway), which eventually passes by the Prince of Wales Tower. This may or may not be common knowledge among Halifax's historians, but I now realize that Tower Road must have at one point gone all the way to the tower, and thus its name.
Most of the major paths in Point Pleasant are former roads. Cambridge Drive is as wide as it is because it was part of Tower Road which extended past the tower down to the point which was also connected to Pleasant Street (Barrington) via what is now known as Sailor's Memorial Way.

These maps show what it look like in the late 1800's; http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...lifax_1894.jpg ; www.davidrumsey.com

For the purposes of this thread also note that most of the existing street names on the Peninsula were in use back then including Bell/South Park/Young, Rainnie Drive is shown as a path not a full street, and the Willow Tree appears to be a roundabout named St Andrew's Cross!

- DJ

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Most of the major paths in Point Pleasant are former roads. Cambridge Drive is as wide as it is because it was part of Tower Road which extended past the tower down to the point which was also connected to Pleasant Street (Barrington) via what is now known as Sailor's Memorial Way.

These maps show what it look like in the late 1800's; http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...lifax_1894.jpg ; www.davidrumsey.com

For the purposes of this thread also note that most of the existing street names on the Peninsula were in use back then including Bell/South Park/Young, Rainnie Drive is shown as a path not a full street, and the Willow Tree appears to be a roundabout named St Andrew's Cross!
That's great info! Thanks!!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
That's great info! Thanks!!
St. Andrew's Cross would actually have been a great name for a major intersection, especially that one.

Aside from the cultural reference (it's on our flag), it's also an ancient torture device. (Some would describe our street network, and that intersection in particular, as such)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 1:37 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
And just east of Robie. Just west of Quinpool.

Or more accurately, when not used to make a point, simply on the common.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
St. Andrew's Cross would actually have been a great name for a major intersection, especially that one.

Aside from the cultural reference (it's on our flag), it's also an ancient torture device. (Some would describe our street network, and that intersection in particular, as such)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
I still wouldn't want to walk there at night, given last night's swarming.
Read the news - stuff happens everywhere. If you stopped going everyplace a crime could happen you would never leave your house!

Then there's home invasions, so you aren't even safe there...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:51 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Read the news - stuff happens everywhere. If you stopped going everyplace a crime could happen you would never leave your house!

Then there's home invasions, so you aren't even safe there...
I do not choose to put myself in harm's way. It is no secret that the majority of Gottingen St is not a safe place after dark. Those elements spill over into the surrounding areas like the Common. Despite some gentification of the area, the drug trade still is very active on those streets between Gottingen and North Park. Last I heard there were still crack houses in that area.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 3:27 PM

Rainnie Drive : The sign at the northern intersection of Brunswick and what is now named Gottingen has not been changed. it remains Rainnie.
Has the correspondence from the Rainnie family caused a rethink ?

" So Rainnie is now a 300-metre one-way stub, with its unused automobile lane soon to be a protected cycle route to improve active transportation.

There are good traffic-management and safety reasons for making all these changes. But council has wrongly given little thought to ensuring Halifax’s civic recognition of a war hero is not diminished in the process.

It was Maj. Rainnie’s children who had to point that out. Last week, they wrote Mayor Mike Savage to express their feeling the city was eroding the memorial to their father and the heritage of a generation that went to war. They urged council to “see the bigger picture” and educate citizens about their heritage instead of stripping it away.

Ann Rainnie McCulloch and Gavin Rainnie, Jr., are right about this — and not just for Halifax "

http://thechronicleherald.ca/editori...uring-our-past

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 3:45 PM

I saw that piece in the Herald. Someone there must read this forum. Good position for them to take.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 3:49 PM

Speaking of ghosts from the past, the other day I was in Dartmouth on Ochterloney and had occasion to use the stub of Victoria Road uphill from there. It really is quite the relic from the 1800s - a one-lane laneway past some decrepit old houses on one side and an ancient cemetery on the other. If Victoria could be connected in a proper way to Ochterloney it would make DT Dartmouth far more accessible and likely have good effects on the businesses there. While the houses would be no great loss, it would make far more sense to take 20-30ft of the cemetery property to create a proper street there. I don't think the remains would mind much if they were relocated elsewhere within the site.

Why has this never even been discussed to my knowledge, much less done?

Last edited by Keith P.; Dec 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:48 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Was looking for exhibition buildings on NS archives earlier and stumbled upon the Royal Exhibition Building on the corner of Tower Road and Morris Street.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=680

Decided to look it up on Google Maps and remembered that Tower Road and Morris St. no longer intersect. That intersection is now Martello St. and University Ave.

This is an interesting building. There are pictures of skating carnivals with participants in costumes being held in this Exhibition building. According to an old map previously posted by Dmajackson - http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...lifax_1894.jpg , it was on the site where the Cathedral Church of All Saints was built starting in 1907 - http://www.cathedralchurchofallsaint...edral_100.html

Here is another image, which shows it looking down from the Citadel in 1880 - https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=406. If you zoom in, you will see it to the south of the building on the Public Gardens, which I believe is one of the first covered skating rinks in Canada. According to this link - http://alongthegardenspath.com/categ...ens-2/page/52/ - the Public Gardens skating rink existed from 1859 - 1889.

The Exhibition Hall at Tower and Morris seems to have existed for only a short time (about 25 years at the most) since it wasn't shown in a 1878 Halifax Atlas (map), but existed in 1880 and then was gone by 1907 when the church was built.

Last edited by fenwick16; Dec 16, 2015 at 7:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This is an interesting building. There are pictures of skating carnivals with participants in costumes being held in this Exhibition building. According to an old map previously posted by Dmajackson - http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...lifax_1894.jpg , it was on the site where the Cathedral Church of All Saints was built starting in 1907 - http://www.cathedralchurchofallsaint...edral_100.html

Here is another image, which shows it looking down from the Citadel in 1880 - https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=406. If you zoom in, you will see it to the south of the building on the Public Gardens, which I believe is one of the first covered skating rinks in Canada. According to this link - http://alongthegardenspath.com/categ...ens-2/page/52/ - the Public Gardens skating rink existed from 1859 - 1889.

The Exhibition Hall at Tower and Morris seems to have existed for only a short time (about 25 years at the most) since it wasn't shown in a 1878 Halifax Atlas (map), but existed in 1880 and then was gone by 1907 when the church was built.
Great detective work!

Thanks for sharing that - very interesting and you've provided great proof of its location. I really appreciate posts like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure