HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: What is the best location for an expandable stadium in Halifax?
Dartmouth Crossing 34 38.20%
Shannon Park 31 34.83%
SMU 6 6.74%
Airport 2 2.25%
Other 16 17.98%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 6:11 PM

Just a reminder for those who voted that the public consultation session that pertains to location will be on:

Session 2 Theme: Location and Design

Thursday October 13
Farrell Hall
276 Windmill Road
7:00-9:00 PM

http://www.hrmstadium.ca/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 8:00 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Just a reminder for those who voted that the public consultation session that pertains to location will be on:

Thursday October 13
Farrell Hall
276 Windmill Road

http://www.hrmstadium.ca/
So far it looks like I can make this.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:21 AM
BANNED

To anyone who shall be in attendance of these public meetings with regards to the stadium's location, I am hoping for the consideration of something extremely important: expectancy of regular attendance. Who is the most likely to feed this stadium: people in the HRM, or the Maritimes abroad?

For such a large investment, which this stadium is for the HRM (as this goes well beyond the peninsula: mainland, Bedford, Sackville, Dartmouth, etc.), I'm afraid this money demands we set aside regional ego and politics and work toward the common goal of making this stadium work for all of us in a smart, efficiently economic way.

This should be a debate about numbers. If there is a strong business case for putting the stadium in the vicinity of Dartmouth Crossing, then so be it! We ultimately are trying to find the best financial outcome. However, from how a stadium's payoff is grounded in its ability to sell tickets regularly--and its ability to produce sales during non-CFL events (concerts, for example)--the question ends up being: how close does the Atlantic Stadium have to be to an established, densely populated area in order to survive?

Rather than placing a stadium in a scattered retail paradise of parking pavement--something not overly walkable; rather than placing a stadium in an area that is distant from residential, and away from our university and college students; rather than placing this development next to minimally established developments--because I'm sorry; Dartmouth Crossing may be a successful Bayer's Lake replica, hybridised with a touch of township--but it would be far too costly to taxpayers to place a stadium where it will not stimulate the local economy. This sprawled business park does not have the density of the downtown. Can this even be made to be walkable? If it is not we miss out on business opportunties from walking traffic.

Now I'm not a loon; I'm not saying that our only rational option is to place a stadium somewhere in our downtown (bye, bye Citadel?). I am saying that I want to see an argument explain why the stadium must be off the peninsula. Even away from the downtown, the north end has density--the sound end with respect to SMU. Why are we ignoring the potential economic spin-offs of a stadium stimulating businesses from its walking traffic? Why are giving up on the opportunity to further stimulate high-rise residential, promoting urbanism?

I argue that Haligonians will be the stadium's main food group; Dartmouth Crossing would only be a good choice if Maritimers were to be regular, bi-monthly (at the very least) attendees.

Placing a stadium away from its food source means we must build roads. Road are expensive. If we must invest in roads, does it not stand to reason to invest in our roads which already host high density?

My name is Ryan. I am a Haligonian. And I am sick to fuck of sprawl.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 1:43 PM

Jstaleness I just reposted your chat login instructions in this thread as this session tonight will be important for those who want to voice their opinion on location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
After speaking to a few others and a discussion on the radio this morning, this is the reason I have choose not to attend in person this evening. I will still be logged into the chat. It's just not the type of public input I was expecting. I was expecting more options to voice and ask questions to any developers or architects.
With tonight focusing on location I'm hoping that in house and web attendance will be much higher. Just in case here is the link to the chat page.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/halifa...consultation-1

Will need to create an account (2mins). Click on sign-up (red circle) Once you are logged in, return to the main page with feed and click on the chat window (blue circle) We should get as many of us in there as possible.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:38 PM

Just a reminder this starts in 20 mins.

CHAT LINK HERE:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hrm-st...consultation-2

Thursday October 13
Farrell Hall
276 Windmill Road

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:29 AM

Very good session, only got to see the tail end, but very well done.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 1:07 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Very good session, only got to see the tail end, but very well done.
It is nice to see some of the negativity waning and some hype and momentum building! Hope to make the remaining sessions. If the 25 or 8 billion $ shipbuilding contract is awarded to Halifax then these sessions will have to be redone so that a larger stadium can be the focal point.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 1:39 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

At the end of the session it was difficult to tell what group was larger. Was it the Crossing group or Shannon Park group? Cheers to the 3 guys that stood alone for the Cogswell site.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
At the end of the session it was difficult to tell what group was larger. Was it the Crossing group or Shannon Park group? Cheers to the 3 guys that stood alone for the Cogswell site.
Well regardless of what we may think of locations, it's good to see people stand up for the convictions and support the idea of a stadium somewhere. We may not agree with their location, but something tells me that if you asked a second question of "if your first choice couldn't work out - what would be your second choice" you'd have seen the crowd at DC double.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 2:38 AM
BANNED

Through casual conversations with friends, I've heard that Dartmouth Crossing's inception was made possible largly by Halifax's previous stadium bid?

If this is so, I can see why many people are supporting a stadium at DC.
I find it disappointing; regardless, it's good to see the HRM inch closer and closer to actually deciding on a stadium.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 2:57 AM

The previous bid (commonwealth games) was supposed to be shannon park, it was going to be a nice 50,000 seater with the temporary seats

When Halifax was supposed to have a CFL team (1984 i believe) it was going to go in Dartmouth somewhere but that one was proposed to be 30,000

so what the hell is with all this 10,000 same a moncton shit,
they did it so we have to ??
come on now Halifax whats 10,000 gonna be good for in 25 years ??

Just my opinion, lol

and by the way, of the suggested locations id take Shannon Park
even though i retain the thought that there most likely is another good option that can be found

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 6:44 PM

Sorry to re-post, but no one commented on my idea on 'Stadium Discussion' thread, and I'd really like to know what you guys think about the two locations I mentioned (see below).

"I'm really in favour of a peninsula location for the stadium. Originally, I liked the Gorsebrook pit (where the softball fields are). Currently underutilized. Equidistant between Dal and St. Mary's to capture the most students, and easily within walking distance for thousands. Plus, it's already sunken. Kids visiting the IWK would have ready-made skyboxes!

I was up on the citadel on a sunny weekday recently, and looked down at the Wanderer's grounds. I'm not sure if the site is quite big enough for the kind of stadium that we would all like to see, but I think, on balance, this is a pretty great location too. The new YMCA would be across the street and well-positioned to run some of their programs on site. I'm not sure if this would be a natural partnership, but it seems like it could be pretty beneficial for the Y if handled correctly. And maybe, just maybe, the community might be more accepting of this location if the Y were involved."

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I also mentioned Gorsebrook a while ago but nobody seems to talk about it much. That spot and somewhere around the Commons are both obvious locations. So much of that valuable central land is underused.

The issue of needing a highway etc. is mostly a red herring. The attendance for some concerts on the North Common has been roughly equivalent to the number of people who would regularly be in a stadium. I think an urban location would be better transportation-wise because you'd have more walkers, cyclists, and transit users, and the peninsula has a ton of transportation infrastructure that is not heavily used outside of rush hour. An urban location is closer to hotels and other tourism-related infrastructure and as a result is much more inviting for visitors. The proximity to the universities also means that the university teams could use the stadium. A Dartmouth Crossing location would not be used by SMU for regular games and is not a convenient spot for students.

I think the suburban locations are favoured for being quick and easy. Not the way to go for a piece of major infrastructure that should be used for 50+ years! If we build a stadium people will have to live with its location long after everybody forgets whether it was built in 2012 for FIFA or in 2014 for some other event.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 8:05 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I actually almost forgot about this location. The parking structure could be pretty minimum here as most users should be pedestrians, University Students or transit users. That could save costs. Who owns this land currently? The city? This land is significantly more valuable than Dartmouth Crossing or Shannon Park I assume.
I still think even given this location that the DND lands near Windsor and Young is a better location, then Shannon Park in 3rd place.

Last edited by Jstaleness; Nov 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM. Reason: always proof read

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:35 PM
Honored Member

I and others have mentioned the Gorsebrook location. I think it would be a very advantageous location for all the reasons that others have stated. It might be of interest to SMU also. They don't have much room on campus for expansion, so if a stadium were built at Gorsebrook by Lundy's Lane then they would have a stadium close by and they could use the current SMU football field for campus expansion. Here is a link to that location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...h&z=18&vpsrc=6

An urban location is actually very good for quick exit after a game since there is more road infrastructure to handle the crowds, as someone123 pointed out. I noticed this at the Toronto Rogers Centre and Hamilton's Ivor Wynne Stadium - getting out of many smaller, spread-out parking areas is much easier than the traffic bottleneck that results from having thousands of cars in a couple of large parking lots.

The city already owns most of that land since I believe it is part of the Inglis Street Public School and Gorsebrook Jr. High School. I wonder if any of the homes along Inglis Street next to the public school are residences for students of SMU? If they are then it would be easier to build a stadium there.

It is too bad that urban locations are being ruled out based on the assumption that there would be traffic issues. I have found that it is just the opposite, isolated suburban locations such as Orchard Park outside Buffalo, NY can be more of a traffic nightmare with thousands of cars trying to exit on a few suburban streets.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 4:03 AM
BANNED

It's good to see a growing majority of people on this forum support an urban location for this stadium. The more we discuss what is vital to the success of this stadium and what will foster the highest potential for future investments, the more we see that this stadium must be built on the peninsula. It's great to read all the location options the peninsula has.

Now this must carry over into public opinion--at the public meetings.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 1:30 PM

parking at Gorsebrook

As much as Gorsebrook is a great site there is a problem with parking. All the streets around there are 2 hour parking in order to protect the residents from having cars parked in front of their houses. This is the south end; need I say more.
I had a 3 day conference at SMU last summer. Since I was running late, I drove my car, but could not park it in the area, so I drove home (the north end) parked my car and called a cab.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 10:45 PM
Account Hacked

I realise that parking is a huge issue in the South End, and much of the peninsula for that matter, but should it really be the deciding factor in where a stadium is located?

Do people really think that attendance will suffer because of the lack of parking? I would think that if fans want to attend, they'll make it to the game one way or another and that inconvenient parking wouldn't deter them. Maybe a stadium located in an area with poor parking options would result in increased pressure on the City to improve public transit options?

I would hate to see the City pass up a prime stadium location all because it would be inconvenient for motorists.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 2:38 AM
BANNED

Limited surface area for parking would not deter most cities, because obtaining a prime location is well worth the investment in infrastructure for parking: underground, garages, changes to laws governing existing parking, etc...

A parking challenge should not be a reason to, instead, build the stadium outside the population core. There is a strong urge to build in Dartmouth Crossing...or even further out near the airport.

This stadium must be on the peninsula.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 12:17 PM

south end parking

I agree that Gorsebrook might make a great location for a stadium but things might have to change in the south end. Maybe after a stadium we might get a North West Arm bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure