HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: What is the best location for an expandable stadium in Halifax?
Dartmouth Crossing 34 38.20%
Shannon Park 31 34.83%
SMU 6 6.74%
Airport 2 2.25%
Other 16 17.98%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
It's good to see a growing majority of people on this forum support an urban location for this stadium. The more we discuss what is vital to the success of this stadium and what will foster the highest potential for future investments, the more we see that this stadium must be built on the peninsula. It's great to read all the location options the peninsula has.

Now this must carry over into public opinion--at the public meetings.
I have no problem with the stadium being on the peninsula, but what "highest potential for future investments" are you thinking about? Stadiums are built to solve the temporary need of housing 25,000 people for a short period of time. That is not the business model for any sustainable business. A stadium downtown would help existing businesses (bars, restaurants, hotels, cab companies, shops...), but I doubt it will spur any new business based solely on the stadium's existence.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
I have no problem with the stadium being on the peninsula, but what "highest potential for future investments" are you thinking about? Stadiums are built to solve the temporary need of housing 25,000 people for a short period of time. That is not the business model for any sustainable business. A stadium downtown would help existing businesses (bars, restaurants, hotels, cab companies, shops...), but I doubt it will spur any new business based solely on the stadium's existence.

It's interesting to watch someone answer their own question, and then doubt the answer.

You doubt the stadium's draw, which as you say "help existing businesses," would encourage further developments in--as you mentioned--bars, restaurants, hotels, etc...

The very point of placing a stadium downtown is akin to putting any attraction downtown: to increase value and eventually density. One of my hopes is for Halifax to get over its office tower stubbornness and follow through with meeting the residential demand. A stadium would encourage this investment.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
It's interesting to watch someone answer their own question, and then doubt the answer.

You doubt the stadium's draw, which as you say "help existing businesses," would encourage further developments in--as you mentioned--bars, restaurants, hotels, etc...

The very point of placing a stadium downtown is akin to putting any attraction downtown: to increase value and eventually density. One of my hopes is for Halifax to get over its office tower stubbornness and follow through with meeting the residential demand. A stadium would encourage this investment.

I never said that a stadium would encourage further developments in bars, restaurants..... I said just the opposite. A new stadium downtown would bring additional once-every-two-weeks-or-so business to existing businesses, but would not lead to the development of new businesses based solely on the development of the stadium. We have had this discussion multiple times on the stadium thread and it has been shown that new football stadiums do not spur the growth of new businesses since they only play 9-10 times per year. Baseball stadiums (at the MLB level) and arenas do have an impact on business growth since they hold events 80+ times a year. Again, I am fine with a stadium downtown (although outside of a new dinky stadium at SMU, I don't think that will happen) just don't expect a new stadium to spur a boom in new business development. By the way, how would a new stadium encourage investment in residential development?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:17 PM

Lightbulb an Invitation to the Halifax Stadium Public Consultations this week...

Hi everyone,

My name is Craig Moore. I was digging around online to find out who also was talking about the Halifax stadium as I am part of the public engagement team helping to run these sessions. As a disclosure, the group I am with are only the facilitators for the sessions (but we are not the decision makers about the Stadium). But part of our role is to make sure the right voice(s) are heard at these sessions to give well rounded points of view from the public to HRM.

I didn't want it this to feel like spam but It seems that you have a killer group here who knows tons about stadiums and specifically the Halifax one.

So, I wanted to let you know about the upcoming sessions this week and that we also will be livestreaming and taking comments from online into the room discussion. There is also a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/halifaxstadium) and comments function on the sessions website (http://hrmstadium.ca).

This week, there are two sessions that your input would be great to hear. The livestreaming will start at 7PM AST this Wed (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hrm-st...consultation-3) and Thurs (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hrm-st...consultation-4). The livestream page has a chatroom where we will be moderating as well.

If you are in Halifax, please come in-person the session info is here (http://www.hrmstadium.ca/?page_id=10).

I hope that this has not been too much of an intrusion to your forum, it just seemed that if anyone had something to say on this issue, it def was your group.

thanks for your time

Craig

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:43 PM

I agree with Welkin, it will help with the survival of the businesses already there also. Possibly, you could see one or two sports bars open near by, claiming to be the home of said tenant team.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:42 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMoore View Post
Hi everyone,

My name is Craig Moore. I was digging around online to find out who also was talking about the Halifax stadium as I am part of the public engagement team helping to run these sessions. As a disclosure, the group I am with are only the facilitators for the sessions (but we are not the decision makers about the Stadium). But part of our role is to make sure the right voice(s) are heard at these sessions to give well rounded points of view from the public to HRM.

I didn't want it this to feel like spam but It seems that you have a killer group here who knows tons about stadiums and specifically the Halifax one.

So, I wanted to let you know about the upcoming sessions this week and that we also will be livestreaming and taking comments from online into the room discussion. There is also a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/halifaxstadium) and comments function on the sessions website (http://hrmstadium.ca).

This week, there are two sessions that your input would be great to hear. The livestreaming will start at 7PM AST this Wed (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hrm-st...consultation-3) and Thurs (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hrm-st...consultation-4). The livestream page has a chatroom where we will be moderating as well.

If you are in Halifax, please come in-person the session info is here (http://www.hrmstadium.ca/?page_id=10).

I hope that this has not been too much of an intrusion to your forum, it just seemed that if anyone had something to say on this issue, it def was your group.

thanks for your time

Craig
Great stuff, not an intrusion at all. I hope some of our members who are still in Halifax will attend!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 1:23 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Will these meetings be held like the past 2? Group seating with table swaps throughout the meeting?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 7:54 PM

It seems to me that there's an over-emphasis on the distance of Dartmouth Crossing.

Now, let it be said: Dartmouth Crossing is actually not my favored location. A location at SMU or DAL might actually be ideal since those could possibly be near future transportation hubs with the WWII-rail line service not too far. So for that reason it might be best to host a stadium there, and it would be within easy walking distance from the downtown core.

That said... I think Dartmouth Crossing is not particularly far from the downtown core. I mean if you're comparing this to some stadiums that are located far from their respective Downtowns, remember that the main issue is traffic more than it is distance. With decent speed-limit traffic you can get from Bayer's Lake to Dartmouth in a little over 10 minutes. Heck, you could probably get to Dartmouth Crossing itself in what -- 15? Less than that?

The big thing will be taking care of those transportation routes. But as the city grows, Dartmouth Crossing will really not be particularly far from the urban core, I think. What you want to avoid is the suggestion to have the Stadium out by the Airport. THEN we're getting into some of those particular issues.

But still, I think SMU would probably be ideal. The only thing is the moneybags people on the South End would go crazy because they do NOT want that sort of people traffic in their areas. But they're already standing in the way of key city progress since many would say a third access across the harbor is needed there anyway.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 10:31 PM

I voted Shannon Park.

But wonder if the road network can handle the traffic volume a stadium would generate on game days?

I suppose a terminal could be built for ferry access?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 10:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Dartmouth Crossing is not that far but I think people are giving it way too much credit when they assume that traffic just wouldn't be an issue there because it's by a highway.

The airport would be even worse because there's one highway. There would be one interchange and 90% of the people would go in one direction (the people from Moncton or Truro will likely not be a significant percentage of the total; even in Regina most people who go to games are locals). All of these people would be driving an extra 20 km or whatever it is. That is an enormous waste over the lifetime of a stadium and probably dwarfs land costs.

We can actually calculate the gas costs to go out to the airport. For a small car it's a bit over $4 to drive from Bedford to the airport. If we assume 5,000 cars (conservative), we get $40,000 in fuel costs per game (two directions). For 16 games per season that's $640,000 per season. Over a 30 year period (hopefully the stadium will last longer than that) that's about $19 million spent on gas. The real costs would I guess be several times higher than that. If the city took that money and put it toward buying a better plot of land the net result would be a hell of a lot of GHG emissions saved.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 8:59 PM

Since the stadium is back on the agenda in Halifax, just having a look at the poll we conducted earlier and Dartmouth was really the preferred choice.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 10:55 AM

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but would a stadium fit in the parking lot at Alderney landing? Either way, that lot seems like a no brainer for redevelopment.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 2:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I don't know if this has already been discussed, but would a stadium fit in the parking lot at Alderney landing? Either way, that lot seems like a no brainer for redevelopment.
It was mentioned some time ago but there would not be enough space. A stadium requires a minimum of 10 acres for just the stadium alone.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 2:50 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It was mentioned some time ago but there would not be enough space. A stadium requires a minimum of 10 acres for just the stadium alone.
That outdoor venue is used every week all summer, the parking lot is a part of that.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
That outdoor venue is used every week all summer, the parking lot is a part of that.
Yes, because having a large gravel surface parking lot right on the water's edge is a prime use of such land. I guess it is either a parking lot or a sanitary landfill. Nobody else would want that kind of property.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
That's great to hear, but I imagine there must be a way to develop most of the surface parking lot though that wouldn't interfere with events using the outdoor stage? Ie. does the viewing area necessarily have to be bare asphalt? Either way, I guess this is the wrong thread for this conversation.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:53 PM

Bringing this thread out of retirement. It will be interesting if the CFL franchise's stadium is going to be in Dartmouth Crossing and that it was the preferred location of the poll in this thread.

I wonder if the stadium is built in Dartmouth Crossing that the location would be behind IKEA?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 8:03 PM

Don't forget parking and access needs for 12,000 people. I would guess somewhere on either side of Commodore drive.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:43 PM

IMHO, the only viable area in DC/Burnside at this time is the part bounded by Wright, John Savage, Commodore and Findlay. The areas around Ikea are already being developed and the area south of Commodore has a lake which would probably prevent a stadium being built there for environmental reasons, I'm thinking.

There is also a huge area north of the 107/Correctional facility/Akerley that is undeveloped, but not sure of the land use rules there.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dar....5643241?dcr=0

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 5:35 PM

Shannon Park is the preferred location.

TSN VIDEO REPORT:

https://www.tsn.ca/group-behind-hali...site-1.1198602

Quote:
Group behind Halifax CFL expansion bid picks stadium site

Maritime Football Ltd., the group hoping to establish a Canadian Football League expansion franchise in Halifax, hopes to build a 24,000-seat multi-use stadium at Shannon Park, a site located in the north end area of Dartmouth on the eastern shore of Halifax Harbour.

The stadium, which would cost $170 million to $190 million and wouldn’t be ready before 2021, would be constructed and maintained with both the provincial and municipal government as funding partners.

That information is contained in a document titled “CFL Stadium Proposal Update and Staff Direction” that was posted on the Halifax Regional Municipality’s website Friday morning in advance of the Oct. 30 regional council meeting where a series of recommendations will be presented to council by staff.

Those recommendations include completing a thorough business case analysis on the proposal for a stadium and stadium district development, engaging with the province for permission to contribute financially to a stadium through tax incremental financing or other means, engaging with the prospective owners and the province on potential sources of revenue to finance the stadium, and asking for a final recommendation to proceed or not proceed as a funding partner in a new stadium.

If approved by council next Tuesday, it’s expected to take at least three months for a final report and recommendation to be completed.

Shannon Park, one of six sites that were under consideration, is a 95-acre site that was used by the Department of Defence for housing from the early 1950s until 2003. Eighty-five acres of the site are owned by Canada Lands Company (CLC). The prospective team owners are in negotiations with the CLC to purchase a 20-acre segment that would house the stadium, parking and some commercial development.

Shannon Park was previously considered as a stadium site as part of a bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and the 2015 Women’s Soccer World Cup, neither of which came to fruition.

Maritime Football Ltd., founded by businessmen Anthony LeBlanc, Bruce Bowser and Gary Drummond, presented their vision to the CFL in the fall of 2017 and are in the final stages of negotiating with the league for a conditional expansion franchise.

The more challenging part of the equation has always been construction of a stadium.

The report states that, “It is expected that the [municipality’s] contribution to a stadium would include being a funding partner on the capital cost to construct the stadium as well as possibly being a contributor to ongoing capital repairs and maintenance.”

Some of that funding could come from tax increment funding, where any incremental tax revenues within the stadium district could be directed for development or capital financing.

The report says debt financing on the stadium is expected to be $9 million to $10 million annually.

The report also states stadium financing requires the province to become a funding partner, recognizing that the Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil has stated that this would require new sources of revenue, and can’t be drawn from existing ones. It mentions specifically the possibility of an increase to the hotel marketing levy tax or the development of a car rental tax.

If council votes to move forward with the business case study and negotiations with the province, Maritime Football Ltd. is expected to start a season-ticket campaign in November

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure