HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Pilot Pay: Want To Know How Much Your Captain Earns?
The Wall Street Journal
JUNE 16, 2009, 12:09 PM
By Scott McCartney

Congress expressed shock and dismay to learn that regional airline pilots start at very low salaries after the NTSB said the co-pilot on the Colgan Air commuter plane that crashed near Buffalo on Feb. 12 earned only $16,000 a year. (The company later said she earned $23,900.)

Read more here: http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009...captain-earns/
Should bus drivers really get paid more than a freakin airline pilot?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 5:13 PM

Not really a valid comparison. A lot of the major US carriers have farmed shorter routes out to commuter lines, and staff are horribly underpaid. Assuming $16K gross and a 40-hour work week, that works out to $7.69/hr.

Burger flippers make more than that. Minimum wage here in NS is $10.15/hr.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 6:16 PM

I think $15 an hour would be fair for bus drivers.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Not really a valid comparison. A lot of the major US carriers have farmed shorter routes out to commuter lines, and staff are horribly underpaid. Assuming $16K gross and a 40-hour work week, that works out to $7.69/hr.

Burger flippers make more than that. Minimum wage here in NS is $10.15/hr.
Actually it is a very valid comparison. Airline pilots no matter if they are flying commuter planes or trans atlantic jumbo jets are highly trained and skilled versus a bus driver. If the bus breaks down on you, the driver pulls over to the side of the road. If an airplane breaks down in the air it's not as simple as pulling over to the side of the road.

I'm pretty sure that bus drivers in HRM are overpaid.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 11:45 PM
Salty Town

I hope the strike lasts long enough to clearly demonstrate to union members just how USELESS UNIONS REALLY ARE! Unions are in the game for one thing and one thing only.........UNIONS. Unions only exist because people are gullible enough to pay union dues.

When all of the transit drivers lose a few thousand dollars due to this stupid strike and actually realize they will never recover that money, they may wonder what their union is doing for them or... DOING TO THEM!!!

Last edited by Empire; Feb 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Actually it is a very valid comparison. Airline pilots no matter if they are flying commuter planes or trans atlantic jumbo jets are highly trained and skilled versus a bus driver. If the bus breaks down on you, the driver pulls over to the side of the road. If an airplane breaks down in the air it's not as simple as pulling over to the side of the road.

The average airline pilot makes far more than 16k

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:49 AM

All the union bashing is hilarious

I don't consider myself a union person, and I certainly know they have their issues, but make no mistake about it: They are very much a necessary evil. To all these union-bashers who think unions should be done away with, I challenge you to stop and really think about what it would be like if there were no unions. Or consider what things used to be like before workers unionized.

I'm sure there will be people who will crap on this post, but it is what it is. Crap away.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:17 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejd View Post
I don't consider myself a union person, and I certainly know they have their issues, but make no mistake about it: They are very much a necessary evil. To all these union-bashers who think unions should be done away with, I challenge you to stop and really think about what it would be like if there were no unions. Or consider what things used to be like before workers unionized.

I'm sure there will be people who will crap on this post, but it is what it is. Crap away.
Why are unions "very much a necessary evil"? There are many workers who are not unionized.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Compared too...?

Considering the number of operators that appear on the sunshine list in Ontario, TTC operators are hugely overpaid compared to Metro Transit.
If you compared MT to TTC, they would say they weren't paid enough...

My comment earlier about the pressure on government to pay a 'living wage' wasn't just about transit operators, but about everyone enjoying the ability to get paid a wage the covers cost of living expenses. I suspect that with this ship building contract, a lot of unions and companies will be under pressure to start paying more considering that the cost of virtually everything in NS is going up. Look at the price of houses/condoes - its all gone up on speculation and nothing has happened yet lol.

I'm just trying to say that as the costs go up, every should be able to expect their wages to grow with at least inflation to deal with cost of living increases, not just transit operators.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:45 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Why are unions "very much a necessary evil"? There are many workers who are not unionized.
I have been gainfully employed for 25 years with no union. I no doubt would have paid out over $15,000 in union dues in that time. Easy math... $15,000 + and the earning power that goes with it was not lost to a union.

In addition to those savings I didn't have to endure lost income from strikes that are primarily designed to justify the existence of the unions.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Compared too...?

Considering the number of operators that appear on the sunshine list in Ontario, TTC operators are hugely overpaid compared to Metro Transit.
If you compared MT to TTC, they would say they weren't paid enough...
Except there is no "sunshine list" here yet, so we don't know what MT drivers actually make. It is possible that the cockamamie scheduling rules allow some of them to make 6 figures. Plus living expenses in HRM do not even come close to those in Toronto.

Quote:
My comment earlier about the pressure on government to pay a 'living wage' wasn't just about transit operators, but about everyone enjoying the ability to get paid a wage the covers cost of living expenses.
This "living wage" nonsense is a ridiculous NDP/left-wing concept that contends that no matter how unskilled or menial the work, it should be paid at such a level that you can own a house and raise a family. Frankly, that is ridiculous. But it is totally aligned with the NDP way of stifling one's ability to improve themselves and rewarding failure while penalizing success.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:55 PM

Council to discuss parking at bus stops
February 6, 2012 - 4:33am BY LAURA FRASER CITY HALL REPORTER

Quote:
Bus stops could become prime parking real estate in Halifax.

Regional council will debate the possibility of easing parking restrictions and taxi zoning Tuesday if the Metro Transit strike moves into its sixth day.

The council meeting had been cancelled — there wasn’t enough on the agenda, according to the municipality — but councillors learned early Sunday it was back on with updates on the strike and the former St. Patrick’s-Alexandra School site.

Bedford councillor Tim Outhit said he and some of his colleagues are happy about the change because there is plenty to debate.

"I think it’s always important that we meet when things are going on. A number of us want to discuss ways to help our residents during this strike, (through) things like (relaxing) parking regulations."

While free parking likely won’t be an option, turning bike lanes and bus stops into temporary parking spots and relaxing the parking limits on some streets are possibilities. But Mayor Peter Kelly said municipal staff are looking at alternatives for commuters while the approximately 750 members of Local 508 of the Amalgamated Transit Union are on strike.

I'm fine with allowing parking to temporarily take-over bus stops and bus-only lanes but why would they consider allowing parking in the bike lanes?! With the strike on there is more people than normal in February out on their bikes (including myself).

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I have been gainfully employed for 25 years with no union. I no doubt would have paid out over $15,000 in union dues in that time. Easy math... $15,000 + and the earning power that goes with it was not lost to a union.

In addition to those savings I didn't have to endure lost income from strikes that are primarily designed to justify the existence of the unions.
Well, you're both very fortunate that you've worked in places where employees are valued and properly compensated for their efforts. If that is indeed the case, good for you. Not everyone is as fortunate, however. Companies unionize only when the conditions necessitate it. If employees feel they are not being treated fairly, then they come together to do something about it.

The reason I have time for unions is because they represent democracy. There are many places around the world that do not have that kind of freedom. If you have an issue with how your union is running, then you can get involved and make change, much like our political system.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 12:07 AM
BANNED

Talking Just had to...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 12:26 AM
we built this city

You beat me to it.

That's one of the funniest Downfall versions I've ever seen. The hipsters part made me laugh out loud and the cab company line was brilliant.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiefrost View Post
Yeah, you don't sound biased at all there friend. Ya might want to try to camouflage that just a little.... I highly doubt that someoine with your attitude would last for one day, if that.
Talk about bias.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 2:11 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Well, you're both very fortunate that you've worked in places where employees are valued and properly compensated for their efforts. If that is indeed the case, good for you. Not everyone is as fortunate, however. Companies unionize only when the conditions necessitate it. If employees feel they are not being treated fairly, then they come together to do something about it.

The reason I have time for unions is because they represent democracy. There are many places around the world that do not have that kind of freedom. If you have an issue with how your union is running, then you can get involved and make change, much like our political system.
Perhaps you can explain what is democratic about a union holding an entire city hostage, creating hardship and causing people to lose their livelyhood when they have small children to feed all in the name of a silly power struggle.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 2:59 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
How can you equate a public union to democracy when a organization such as Metro Transit can't move to a difference province/country? Private companies have the freedom to close shop and move to a location of their choosing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 5:44 AM

Democracy???

What's all this talk of democracy?
I move we fire all the bus drivers who do not show up for work and hire all new drivers part time at $15.00 per hour eliminating overtime.
Any discussion?
I call for the question

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 9:45 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
What's all this talk of democracy?
I move we fire all the bus drivers who do not show up for work and hire all new drivers part time at $15.00 per hour eliminating overtime.
Any discussion?
I call for the question
Maybe some bus drivers will be fired when it is discovered that there are too many bus drivers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure