HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 10:48 PM

Sloane strikes again. She obviously has no concept of management solidarity and sees no difficulty with undermining her colleagues. Her crony Barkhouse has now done the same thing, though since Barkhouse was a NDP union organizer before getting elected it is a bit more understandable, if equally indefensible. But Sloane is just pathetic. Even her pal Jim Smith is criticizing her for this, which is saying something. Union is on the ropes and she goes and does this. What a moron.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 11:20 PM

It was the union who asked for binding arbitration in the first place.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:26 AM

reductions in wages

Now that we are back to square one, I think the next offer should be a reduction in wages. After all, the ridership will be much reduced after a long strike. If after a week or so we should offer less again. Maybe the drivers will settle when we get down to $18.00 per hour.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 1:50 PM

rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
During the strike would be a great time to stick a Dayliner or two on the tracks. Maybe rent a old double stacked Go Train? Put a run on the Dartmouth side and of course Fall River to downtown.
That is a fantastic idea.

Imagine enjoying a delay free ride into the city cores.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:00 PM

^This might also be easier in a legal sense, because it would be a service that was not being offered when the strike began.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:42 PM

Strikers slowing plows progress

Alright, this should be illegal. It is stupid and dangerous. What if someone dies in an accident today because the roads wern't plowed when they would have been if the plow could leave 10-15 minutes earlier.

How does the union expect to get public support with pulling this sort of stunt?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Strikers slowing plows progress

Alright, this should be illegal. It is stupid and dangerous. What if someone dies in an accident today because the roads wern't plowed when they would have been if the plow could leave 10-15 minutes earlier.

How does the union expect to get public support with pulling this sort of stunt?
Because the people making the decisions for the union are idiots.

I wish the people driving the snowplows used them to plow through these clowns. Snow and ice control is an essential service, after all.

Maybe tomorrow the ATU geniuses will picket at the Emergency entrance to the QEII.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:12 AM
Salty Town

The city should make a new offer. All conditions the same except the $1500 up front hush money is now $1000. Next week it is $500 and the week after zero. The city is underestimating the public descent for the transit strike. Union 508 is on the ropes and the city can't seem capitalize on that.

Last edited by Empire; Mar 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:31 AM
Honored Member

There is an update to the Chronicle Herald story - http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/7...plows-progress. I wonder how the Metro Transit union leader (Ken Wilson) can be so utterly out of touch with the general public??? Does he actually think the public supports his tactics. He seems to be doing everything right to get public disapproval.

Quote:
Transit workers slow plows' progress
March 5, 2012 - 9:27am By PATRICIA BROOKS ARENBURG Staff Reporter

UPDATED While the city may be used to the road rage that accompanies snow-clogged streets, the Metro Transit union became the target when it chose to block snowplows during Monday morning’s storm.

Ken Wilson says the move to delay the plows and other vehicles from leaving the city’s public works depots has been “blown way out of proportion.”

“I’m not naïve. I know the public’s upset about it. They think that we’re risking public safety out there and I don’t see how we are, when the roads are bare pavement basically all night,” the president for Local 508 of the Amalgamated Transit Union said.

“I know for a fact that the strike teams and strike captains were told (that) if it starts to snow and the roads become lightly covered, or covered at all, or ice packed or slush packed, we’re to open those lines immediately and not hold up the salt trucks.”
“I don’t think it’s a concern about backfiring,” Wilson said earlier Monday morning.

“I think what we’re trying to do is put pressure on the other business units (of the Halifax Regional Municipality) to try in some way to get Metro Transit’s management back to the table.”

By the afternoon, Wilson heard nothing from city council but said he “got a couple phone calls, people asking me where I live so they could picket my driveway for 10 minutes.”

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:23 AM

This is turning into a lot of drama and nothing is getting anywhere.

The city should decrease the raise, decrease the signing bonus, and not budge on anything!

Yes sometimes bus drivers have it tough, but you are getting paid a hell of a lot more than anyone else in the service sector. Bank tellers have the risk of being held at gun point and have to deal with some un rulely people on a regular basis, but you don't see them getting paid, and chosing their own shifts. How is operating a bus any different? The bus drivers serve the public, the public doesn't like their service, or doesn't like how they handle a strike, then the choice to give them a raise should rest in the hands of the public, not their own hands to demand what they want.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:00 AM
Honored Member

In my opinion, Metro bus drivers deserve to be paid well; certainly in the $25/hr range since it probably is a stressful job and they are responsible for the safety of hundreds of people a shift who ride on each bus. I just don't agree with the 18.5 sick days per year on average and the provisions for unreasonable scheduling demands.

The bus operators should be paid a good wage but in return the they should start considering what is best for the transit system instead of just trying to maximize individual perks.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:13 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I see that the Shack for the strikers at the Burnside Bus Garage now has Bell Satellite TV. I thought they were there to picket, not watch TV.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 11:35 AM

It would be a real shame if that mess got vandalized, just like the "renegade" bus service that was supposed to begin serving Sackville got vandalized by unknown ATU goons vandals last night.

http://www.news957.com/news/local/ar...de-bus-service

Yes, it would be a real shame.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It would be a real shame if that mess got vandalized, just like the "renegade" bus service that was supposed to begin serving Sackville got vandalized by unknown ATU goons vandals last night.

http://www.news957.com/news/local/ar...de-bus-service

Yes, it would be a real shame.

Here is their website: http://busstrike.weebly.com/index.html

They want to privitize metro transit. Sounds good.

Quote:
These are only temporary measures as we prepare to table an offer to HRM for the Purchase of Metro Transit our intention would be to fully privatize the transit system.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:26 PM

I'm going to go check this out Thursday.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:20 AM

Sounds like the private bus service was a scam. Not sure by who? The union? The pubic?

The website has been pulled. Too bad, sounded like a good idea.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/7...-vanishing-act

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:10 AM

Saw that coming. All one had to do was take a look at the website.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:44 AM

Transit strike over: Two sides reach tentative agreement

News comes after three-full days of negotiations
Ryan Taplin/Metro Halifax

Transit workers on the picket line at Halifax Grand Parade last month.
PHILIP CROUCHER
METRO HALIFAX
Published: March 11, 2012 9:23 p.m.
Last modified: March 11, 2012 9:26 p.m.

Thirty eight days after it began, a deal has been finally reached in the Halifax transit strike.

The news broke just after 10 p.m. as the two sides were late into a third-consecutive day of negotiations at the Holiday Inn Harbourview hotel in Dartmouth.

Going into Sunday’s negotiation session, there was an optimism that a deal would be reached as Amalgamated Transit Union Local 508 President Ken Wilson told reporters late Saturday “we’re getting close" in reference to a deal.

Wilson told reporters Sunday night his members will vote on the deal Tuesday, with buses back on the road as early as 48 hours after that.

Wilson wouldn’t say what’s in the deal, but that he’s happy with it.

More to come

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:09 AM

Hot diggity daffodil!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:36 AM

If he's happy... Transit caved.

It'll be interesting to see what the agreement says when all is said and done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure