HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Here's what's available for railway lines:

2004 maps:

Halifax Railway Map (Bayers Lake line is gone)

Nova Scotia Railway Map

New Brunswick Railway Map

http://www.proximityissues.ca/english/maps1.cfm
Another note for the Halifax map:
The rail line from the Narrows to North St via Kempt Rd is also non-existent.

I never knew it to run all the way to North St for my entire time living in the North End (since the late 80s); any right-of-way which may have existed to allow for such a run is now long gone.

I remember it used to extend as far as Pierceys (around the former merge-point of Kempt & Robie) until the redevelopment of that corner in the early 90s; at that time the entire spur was torn up, all the way back to Africville/Seaview Park. One or two CN-logo rail bridges still exist around Lady Hammond Rd and Kempt Rd as reminders of this former line, but the rails were torn up years ago.

(Presumably that line used to provide rail connectivity to the main Post Office on Almon St, and the former military depot near North & Gladstone.)

Last edited by goosnarrggh; Aug 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosnarrggh View Post
Another note for the Halifax map:
The rail line from the Narrows to North St via Kempt Rd is also non-existent.

I never knew it to run all the way to North St for my entire time living in the North End (since the late 80s); any right-of-way which may have existed to allow for such a run is now long gone.

I remember it used to extend as far as Pierceys (around the former merge-point of Kempt & Robie) until the redevelopment of that corner in the early 90s; at that time the entire spur was torn up, all the way back to Africville/Seaview Park. One or two CN-logo rail bridges still exist around Lady Hammond Rd and Kempt Rd as reminders of this former line, but the rails were torn up years ago.

(Presumably that line used to provide rail connectivity to the main Post Office on Almon St, and the former military depot near North & Gladstone.)
It didn't quite go up to North Street because I don't recall it there in the early 80's. Someone told me around the 70's it got to the post office, but then was torn up and went as far as Young Street for the military. You can still see where the line would have existed, although the building with Avis and Halifax Autosport is on what would have been part of the right of way.

I'm surprised that the two old bridges were allowed to remain. They are getting up there in years...

With the rail line removed, I don't see much point in keeping the area commercial/industrial in nature. Time for it to become something new!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 1:42 PM

Taken from http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince...adian-584.html

Bus company plans to fill void left by Acadian

Quote:
A P.E.I. company is looking to step up and replace much of the Maritime intercity bus service currently being offered by Acadian Lines, which has said it is shutting down its business at the end of November.

Trius Tours owner Mike Cassidy is preparing a pitch for Maritime governments in the hopes his company can reach a deal that will allow it to operate a profitable intercity bus service in the region.

In announcing the end of its service, Acadian said it had lost millions of dollars. Government regulations require it to operate on low-traffic routes alongside the more profitable ones.

Cassidy believes with some changes to government regulations, allowing a mix of companies to cover the region, profitable business is possible.

"I think there is a huge opportunity for what I call the shuttle-van service that operates within the Maritimes, along with a motor coach operator that would have the larger units on the larger ridership routes," said Cassidy.

Cassidy's proposal would see smaller companies with smaller vehicles filling in the low-traffic routes.
I think someone will step in and fill the void left behind by Acadian. But the government will need to work with them, losen their grip and let the private companies work out their schedule etc.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
From this CBC story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-reaction.html

It sounds like it would be viable if the Northern New Brunwswick routes were eliminated.

I find it hard to believe that bus service can't make money on Freddy, St.John, Moncton, Charlottetown along with the Nova Scotia routes.

There has been successful Commuter van service from the Annapolis Valley to Halifax for years. http://www.greenrider.ca/

Current Route Map: http://www.acadianbus.com/Images/int...nCarte2011.pdf

Potential New Route Map?
We may still be able to salvage bus routes throughout northern New Brunswick, as well as for rural routes in Nova Scotia that are not located along the main route between Moncton and Halifax.

The provinces will blink.

As a heavy user of Acadian between Moncton and Halifax, I'm willing to bet there is clearly demand for the larger buses between Maritimer cities. Nearly every bus I've been on was at full capacity (though this may partially be culminated with 'northerners'). As for the rural communities, we'll see if smaller, less frequent run buses can be managed. Villages and towns with a college or university need this bus service for the local student population.

Routes between the cities, however, is absolutely vital since urbanites more commonly do not own vehicles.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:32 PM

system

All of this system existed prior to January 1990 when the PC government cut back VIA by 50% funding, and took all of the linking RDC and Bus routes that VIA chartered out.

Moncton was a hub. Busses from C-town, other parts of NB would meet at the rail station. The Ocean would be waiting to depart on the northeast shore, adn the Atlantic would arrive from halifax.

All of the passengers from the RDC routes also were present to meet their connections.

Why they chose to destroy this system in the name of funding is beyond me. We now have people who cannot get from A to B, let alone C or D.

We need the system back to a close to it was prior to 1990. Then Canadians can travel about their country.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:16 PM

Sounds like Via wants to be more integrated with Acadien's replacement.

Gotta laugh..All the years they were supposed to be "integrated", and they regularly missed connection times, didn't share facilities, no all in one pricing etc..

If Via is so concerned about Maritimers' mobility, why gut the Ocean? Why not bring back the Rail Liners with more modern stock?

Lip service, nothing more.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/nov...s-in-maritimes

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:55 PM

Looks like Ambassatours dropped out of the running to be Acadian's replacement leaving only Trius.

“We’ve been spending a lot of time assessing it, but the reality is that I’ve stated all along I think there is opportunity there, but ... there’s no quick fix to this situation.

“There’s going to need to be a lot of investment, a lot of resources put forth by whoever the operator is.”

“And as we assess our existing operation, we just said we had no shortage of opportunities within our present business, and we said that the reality is we are not set up as a line-run operator.”

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/bus...dian-bus-lines

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 2:47 AM
Halifax Promoter!

From the CH to be published Thursday, August 30th, 2012

Via Rail wants to integrate bus, rail services in Maritimes
11 hours ago
By BRETT BUNDALE Business Reporter
Via Rail president Marc Laliberte speaks at a chamber of commerce meeting in Halifax on Wednesday. (PETER PARSONS / Staff)

UPDATED 7:11 p.m. Wednesday

In an attempt to bolster its bottom line and serve passengers better, Via Rail Canada is planning to integrate bus and rail services in the Maritimes.

Via Rail president Marc Laliberte said the passenger train company was in talks with Acadian bus lines before the coach company announced it was folding Nov. 30.

Despite the lack of an operator, Via Rail is committed to an intermodal transportation network in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

“We realize that Acadian bus lines just made an announcement to cut their service, but we hope that void will be filled by somebody else,” Laliberte told The Chronicle Herald during an editorial board meeting.

“If there is a bus operator somewhere that is interested in starting a shared service, they should come to see us. We have a nice place at the Halifax train station for them.”

Prince Edward Island’s Trius Tours Ltd. and Halifax’s Ambassatours Gray Line applauded Via Rail’s focus on integrated bus and rail services.

Mike Cassidy, the owner of Trius Tours Ltd., has filed an application with the regulator in Nova Scotia to take over the regional and charter services Acadian is abandoning. He said his company will file a similar application in New Brunswick by Friday.

“There is no question in my mind that we would work with all the transportation providers in the region to provide the best level of service to passengers,” Cassidy said.

“The president of Via Rail is hitting it right on the mark. One of the steps we have to do is talk to Via and get a feel for what an integrated transportation system would look like so that when we’re in front of the board for the hearing we have that market research done and we can present that as our evidence.”

Ambassatours president Dennis Campbell said that although the chartered bus service has decided not to file an application to replace Acadian bus lines, he fully supports an integrated approach to transportation.

“I think it’s absolutely fantastic because, if you look at other parts of the world, intermodal is what it’s all about in that ... it’s all about the end-user.”

Laliberte said there is a market opportunity to develop intermodal partnerships with buses, airlines and car-sharing organizations.

Via Rail plans to integrate web ticketing, harmonize schedules and cross-promote intermodal services to simplify travel plans.

“We’d like to make travelling simpler for passengers. We want them to be able to arrange all their travel plans from one website.”

Via Rail has already formed intermodal partnerships over the past 12 months in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia with bus lines.

More recently, the passenger rail company joined forces with Air Transat to help travellers make the journey between their home, airport and vacation destination.

Air Transat and Via Rail have streamlined their service schedules to encourage the purchase of tickets combining both modes of transportation.

Laliberte said the rail company has also formed a partnership with Communauto, a car-share service in Montreal.

Via Rail would be open to talking with CarShareHFX to form a similar partnership, he said.

The passenger train company does not enter into exclusive partnership agreements, and Laliberte said partners need a level of service that compares with Via Rail.

“We’re always open to connect with multiple partners, but they need to have a certain standard of service and accessibility. Once that’s in place, we’re open to discussions.”

(bbundale@herald.ca)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 11:19 AM

I wasn't aware of this, but the TRIUS bus company that is mostly likely replacing Acadien Lines already has a daily return bus line-run from Halifax to Yarmouth via the south shore (Along Highway 103 and stops in Bridgwater etc.)

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...t-wins-bus-bid

http://www.peisland.com/triustours/line.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure