HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
The biggest single easy-to-implement thing that council could have proactively done, but did not, is stop subsidizing the sale of cheap land in business parks for non-industrial uses.

They have to cure their addiction to the revenue they get from that sale. Until they do so, combined with increasing the tax revenues from the businesses that open on that cheap land (by comparison to the expensive commercial taxes paid by downtown businesses), we are just going to end up with more and more businesses moving out of the core. At that point, people's housing and entertainment choices will follow, and the move to high tax burden subdivisions will continue.
To me; this is a first step - but there are many other steps left to go. Such as no longer providing additional funds for construction of initial infrastructure for new greenfield communities.

That is part of a huge debate happening out here in Calgary right now and frankly the development industry is steaming. I get the sense that they figured our new Municipal Plan (Plan it Calgary) was approved but was just going to sit on a shelf and they are shocked we are going ahead and actually implementing it.

I remember reading about the issues that were happening with Bedford West and the interchanges for 102/Larry Uteck, that the City was on board for something like half of the cost. My question would be: If we don't want to encourage this development but may have already given zoning approval previously; why does the city have to help fund the infrastructure? That wasn't part of the zoning approval so just say no. We didn't ask for you to build it, we don't want it - build it yourself and turn the tap off.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure