HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 10:08 PM

Metro Transit - Lacewood Terminal | Completed

Since the entire terminal will be relocated I think this project is major enough to have its own thread.

Lacewood Terminal Design Consultation

With the site for the new Lacewood Transit Terminal now approved by HRM Regional Council, Metro Transit will be moving to the next phase in the building of the new terminal - design consultation.

Metro Transit would like to invite interested citizens to a public meeting to discuss the design of the upcoming Lacewood Transit Terminal. Specifics of the meeting are as follows:

Lacewood Transit Terminal
Design Public Meeting
Canada Games Centre (26 Thomas Raddall Drive, Halifax)
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

If you are unable to attend the meeting, but would still like to submit your thoughts on the design of the terminal, please email hughesp@halifax.ca.

- DJ

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 10:59 PM

Are there any renders of the planned terminal?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_scott View Post
Are there any renders of the planned terminal?
The proposed design is a 12 bay layout with an entrance/exit at Radcliffe Dr. and the terminal itself parallel to Lacewood Dr. in a T-shaped design. During the site selection process, they were imposing an 8 bay design into the proposed sites, so I'm glad with this site they've increased to 12 for more flexibility in future expansion.

Does anyone think that a Park n Ride built underneath the terminal would be feasible? I'm thinking in terms of saving money on the fill required to bring the site to street level and provide a useful amenity at the same time. I don't know if there is room for another separate car entrance off of Lacewood but a Park n Ride has to be part of this doesn't it?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
The proposed design is a 12 bay layout with an entrance/exit at Radcliffe Dr. and the terminal itself parallel to Lacewood Dr. in a T-shaped design. During the site selection process, they were imposing an 8 bay design into the proposed sites, so I'm glad with this site they've increased to 12 for more flexibility in future expansion.

Does anyone think that a Park n Ride built underneath the terminal would be feasible? I'm thinking in terms of saving money on the fill required to bring the site to street level and provide a useful amenity at the same time. I don't know if there is room for another separate car entrance off of Lacewood but a Park n Ride has to be part of this doesn't it?
I would suspect it would be a surface lot mainly due to the need to blast in the area.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I would suspect it would be a surface lot mainly due to the need to blast in the area.
http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/d...ConceptMap.pdf

I'm not certain a surface lot would fit into this layout.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 11:28 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I think the underground park and ride option is marvelous. Otherwise, the terminal will be WAY below street level off Lacewood.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I think the underground park and ride option is marvelous. Otherwise, the terminal will be WAY below street level off Lacewood.
The terminal will be at street level regardless. I just thought for the cost of the fill, why not build the lot below and the terminal on top. It would seem pointless to build what will be the central transfer point for BRT or possibly LRT and not have anywhere to park on site.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 11:29 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Lacewood Dr. will have to be widened to allow for turning lanes for the buses. This would mean at least one new lane on each side of the boulevard.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 3:06 PM

This has started construction, there is some trees already cleared in the area and a fence between CGC and the baseball field with danger signs.
I was also told it says to be aware of heavy equipment in the area on the Halifax west school website.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 5:09 PM

Here's hoping they use a different design than the horrible Bridge Terminal debacle.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 5:27 AM

Is it me or does the proposed location not seem to work from a Transit Oriented Development perspective?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 5:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Is it me or does the proposed location not seem to work from a Transit Oriented Development perspective?
This whole area is a planning disaster. It's just a series of uncoordinated developments plopped down wherever council managed to find land. To top all of this there is the Washmill underpass and Bayers Lake expansion.

It would have been so much better to integrate this terminal into what are now strip malls near the Dunbrack/Lacewood intersection. The city could have granted density bonuses to the owners of the land in exchange for space for the terminal, which itself could have been built under an office building.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 11:38 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
This has started construction, there is some trees already cleared in the area and a fence between CGC and the baseball field with danger signs.
I was also told it says to be aware of heavy equipment in the area on the Halifax west school website.
I took a drive by yesterday. There is more than just the trees cleared. A lot of land has been moved as well.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 4:21 AM

Here's a rendering of what it's going to look like once completed.
Not too sure how to post this picture.
Halifax Regional Municipality Flickr

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:34 PM

Just mentioning this is still listed as U/C Edit: aaaand it's fixed.

Last edited by FuzzyWuz; Jul 6, 2020 at 5:01 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure