HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 11:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's actually closer to 40 years ago. Star Wars came out in 1977.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:05 PM

What's old is new again I guess.

Scotiabank is becoming like Rogers, with their name on (or were on) so many arenas they all get mixed up (Rogers Centre Toronto, Rogers Arena Vancouver, Rogers Place Edmonton).

Source

Source

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I also think the building could use a decent paint job.. or at the very least- a good pressure-washing.
Looks like it was pressure washed when you compare these two photos:

Source

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Looks like it was pressure washed when you compare these two photos:

Source
I think a better comparison comes from the first photo you posted yesterday.

Source

Yep, she's definitely been power washed. The ice looks good too. Cutting out the parts of the H that stick out of the centre ice circle is an interesting look. All in the name of properly showing off who owns the name.

Looking forward to this season. I'm curious to see what Ducharme can do without any future NHL All-Stars on the team this year.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I found this image of the Metro Centre under construction on one of the several news articles about the signage/name change today.

Wacky! I remember this photo. I was in grade 6 delivering the Mail Star afternoon paper, and this was front and centre. I remember walking from house to house looking at this picture, thinking how cool it was going to be when they opened.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 11:45 PM

Best photo so far with new TD tower in background:

Source

Source

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 PM

It really is an interesting building isn't it. From the Argyle direction it looks like such a massive building, and from Brunswick it practically blends into the surrounding areas. Anyone have any pictures from before the WTCC was built? I think I saw a couple once, or maybe it was an artists rendering, but it was a while ago. I seem to recall there was a patio or balcony of sorts that wrapped around that eastern side, up at concourse level.

I think we've discussed it before, but from that perspective in the first picture there that q12 posted, it really does look like the upper bowl could be extended around the north/Duke street end. It would probably have to hang slightly over the lower bowl seating, and couldn't be a full deck like the existing upper bowl seating, but it could be possible.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 PM

I still think the best way to expand the place would be to raise the roof, let the skyboxes rise with it, and put an upper deck at either end. Possibly easier said than done from an engineering standpoint though, and wouldn't address the problems with the undersized concourses, inadequately-sized washrooms and concessions, and steep, narrow staircases. It really is not in a spot that lends itself to major renovations.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
It really is an interesting building isn't it. From the Argyle direction it looks like such a massive building, and from Brunswick it practically blends into the surrounding areas. Anyone have any pictures from before the WTCC was built? I think I saw a couple once, or maybe it was an artists rendering, but it was a while ago. I seem to recall there was a patio or balcony of sorts that wrapped around that eastern side, up at concourse level.

I think we've discussed it before, but from that perspective in the first picture there that q12 posted, it really does look like the upper bowl could be extended around the north/Duke street end. It would probably have to hang slightly over the lower bowl seating, and couldn't be a full deck like the existing upper bowl seating, but it could be possible.
I think this is the picture you are thinking of, from user "ALPS". He said it was a scan from a Sherman Hines picture book, hence the less than perfect quality. But it does show the outside walkway that it had prior to WTCC:

I suppose once the WTCC is no longer required in its present form and the city takes over ownership, other possibilities for expansion of the Metro, ur, Scotiabank Centre open up as some of that space could be taken over.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 6:57 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I think this is the picture you are thinking of, from user "ALPS". He said it was a scan from a Sherman Hines picture book, hence the less than perfect quality. But it does show the outside walkway that it had prior to WTCC:

I suppose once the WTCC is no longer required in its present form and the city takes over ownership, other possibilities for expansion of the Metro, ur, Scotiabank Centre open up as some of that space could be taken over.
If the viewplane wasn't there they could raise the roof and add a couple thousand seats on the east side where the WTCC is, take down the box seats in the rafters and stack them above the 2nd tier on the Brunswick Street side like Pilips Arena - http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...lips-arena.jpg )

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
If the viewplane wasn't there they could raise the roof and add a couple thousand seats on the east side where the WTCC is, take down the box seats in the rafters and stack them above the 2nd tier on the Brunswick Street side like Pilips Arena - http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...lips-arena.jpg )
I'm curious about the viewplane here. Someone123 posted this pic a while ago:

Source

If you look at that, the buildings on either side of the arena are both taller than it is, it appears that the WTCC tower is slightly taller, and the bank towers as you go downhill towards the harbor are significantly taller and would appear to be in the same plane. I don't get it (not that I ever understood how the viewplanes made any sense).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

That's the one!

I don't know what could be done for the concourse on the Brunswick side, but when the WTCC vacates there's a great opportunity to open the east side concourse up more into the building. Maybe they could re-do the stairs on that side of the building as well, so they're not so steep.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 1:48 AM

Was talking to an engineer a while back about the possibility of expansion of the metro center. He was saying that the smart thing would have been to build a new Arena and turn the current metro center into a large convention venue. Raising the roof of the metro center is not impossible but would be extremely costly and not worth doing for the gains that would be made. So basically we are stuck with what we have until 300-500 million comes up to build a new arena.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 11:54 PM

Wow. I always thought the Metro Centre and WTCC were built at the same time. I'll never look at the bar concourse the same way again. When was the WTCC built?

With the WTCC relocation, the option exists to completely rebuild the interior and flip the ice surface 90 degrees and build a proper arena with two decks all the way around and boxes/club seats on a level between the two inside the current shell of the two buildings. Something that can seat 15,000 for hockey, and potentially up to 20,000 for concerts and finally have a proper, permanent concert venue. That would also likely be in the 300-500mil range, sadly. For that $$ you may as well rebuild the exterior.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:27 PM

According to Wikipedia, 1984. I have a feeling though that what you suggest would not be economically feasible..probably cheaper in that case to demo both buildings and build a totally new arena on the site.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
According to Wikipedia, 1984. I have a feeling though that what you suggest would not be economically feasible..probably cheaper in that case to demo both buildings and build a totally new arena on the site.
I'm OK with that . Any hypothetical related to that needn't be attempted until after the Forum renos are done. The Mooseheads would play there in the interim.

Whatever the cost (minimum $200M, especially by the point in time something like this would actually begin) a new arena stands a far better chance of recouping its construction costs and turning a long-term profit than an outdoor stadium would.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:36 PM

Announced today: New York Islanders vs. Carolina Hurricanes Sept. 26, 2015 at the Scotiabank Centre 2015 NHL preseason game.

Also both this weekends Mooseheads games are broadcast nationally on sportsnet.

Quote:
Friday, Feb. 13
Shawinigan @ Halifax, 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West, Pacific, and TVA Sports)

Saturday, Feb. 14 (Hockey Day in Canada)
Cape Breton @ Halifax, 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific)

And 10,000 plus new dark blue seats with cup holders to be installed before September.

Award Tender

Quote:
The Scotiabank Centre (previously Metro Centre) has a planned expenditure of approximately $7.4M over
five years. The main focus areas are washrooms (2014/15), new seating (2015/16), and new roof & ice
slab (2016/17).

Source

Last edited by q12; Feb 12, 2015 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:03 PM

Those old seats were a big deal locally when they were new, as the lower bowl versions had a padded bottom seat, a first for arenas in these parts. Amazing that they lasted over 25 years. Glad to see the 1970s orange color depart.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

And 10,000 plus new dark blue seats with cup holders to be installed before September.
I'm pretty shocked they'd go with a color more commonly associated with banks such as RBC and BMO, as well as hockey teams from Dartmouth and Bedford. Red is associated with both the Mooseheads and Scotiabank, seemed like an obvious choice.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 12:55 AM

I would have thought green for the team, as well as to match the current club seats. Red seats would look too much like the orange ones IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure