HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Then they should fix it. I'm goddamn sick and tired of hearing city staffers and ostensible city boosters whining that the only solution for historic buildings have been poorly maintained is demolition. It's such Mickey Mouse city building. Small-time, small-minded, small-town thinking.
Right on! I couldn't agree more!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Then they should fix it. I'm goddamn sick and tired of hearing city staffers and ostensible city boosters whining that the only solution for historic buildings have been poorly maintained is demolition. It's such Mickey Mouse city building. Small-time, small-minded, small-town thinking.
Are you as irritated and upset as your post would indicate?
Hehehehe!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Hehehehe!

I know your game... you like to get reactions out of people by expressing extreme opinions likely even stronger than you actually believe...

Whether serious or not, your posts provide me with much amusement! Thanks for the chuckle!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Hehehehe!
Well, I was also listening to a council livestream, and trying to take in Dalrymple and Hendsbee's simplistic droning on about taxpayers and the bottom line and thee cheapest option is always the best, etc...

So, yeah.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Hehehehe!
As long as you're laughing with people, and not at them, that's the main thing; cause the latter would be kind of tacky

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
As long as you're laughing with people, and not at them, that's the main thing; cause the latter would be kind of tacky
Actually, I was laughing at someone who got so upset about another's opinion as to post 'Goddamn sick and tired..........mickey mouse....small time......small minded.........small town thinking'.

I think he kind of apologized or at least explained his frustration.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Well this is coming to Council tomorrow and I feel that, on the Dartmouth side, we're making a mistake with the Commodore Drive location. Maybank Field would be a much better fit. Wrote a piece on the issue for Spacing.

http://spacing.ca/atlantic/2014/07/2...ena-dartmouth/
If we were BOLD we would take over Brightwood, build a world class regular P-9 school with daycare and add sports facilities for all. And leave lots of green space.
Track & field, baseball, soccer, ice rink and minimal parking because it is next to the bridge bus terminal.
Get all kids involved in physical activity from the age of 4 and include kids with disabilities.
Right in the centre of the urban core and an area where we want to attract families and increase density.

A school to light up the neighbourhood and be an icon of re-generation :

http://slaterjackson.co.uk/cms/index...on-high-school

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
Very well put. I concur that Maybank is a far better location for this rink. I love the idea of putting the soccer field on top of the roof. What better way to have a "green" roof? Unfortunately, city staff have relatively little vision beyond $$$'s, and council has even less.
Thanks. Since writing my Spacing article, I have realized I missed the really obvious solution to the ball diamond/soccer field conundrum. It appears from the online property mapping that there is actually vacant land right on Crichton Park School! They could move one of the soccer fields onto the vacant land and then move two of the ball diamonds onto the soccer field (keep the baseballs away from the homes). Crichton Park would still be down one ball diamond, but they would have 2 soccer fields and 2 diamonds and would gain 4 ice surfaces and improved facilities (changing rooms, lockers etc). If the 3rd ball diamond is needed, it could go elsewhere in Dartmouth, perhaps in an area that is currently lacking in infrastructure... Too bad thought that it appears from today's council meeting that there is apparently little willingness amongst Dartmouth's political leaders to consider alternate locations. Commodore Drive, here we come.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
If we were BOLD we would take over Brightwood, build a world class regular P-9 school with daycare and add sports facilities for all. And leave lots of green space.
Track & field, baseball, soccer, ice rink and minimal parking because it is next to the bridge bus terminal.
Get all kids involved in physical activity from the age of 4 and include kids with disabilities.
Right in the centre of the urban core and an area where we want to attract families and increase density.

Interesting idea. Brightwood is a good puzzle. The debates on its future were before my time. It'll be interesting to see if the club is now set in its location for the long-term or whether they'll try again at some point to cash in on their valuable urban property.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 9:07 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post

Why not just renovate Bicentennial? It is big enough... it was a junior high when I was growing up.

Also, take over = buy at market value. Which is expensive.

And of course, schools are provincial, I am not sure the provinces is being bold these days.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Why not just renovate Bicentennial? It is big enough... it was a junior high when I was growing up.

Also, take over = buy at market value. Which is expensive.

And of course, schools are provincial, I am not sure the provinces is being bold these days.
Haliafax and Bedford get new facilities, and Dartmouth gets renovated facilities, it's the trend that perpetuates. Of course the Forum is now slated for a reno, so that bucks the trend 'a bit'.

Is it not time for something special in Dartmouth (and please don't even mention the bus terminal).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:01 PM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:53 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Haliafax and Bedford get new facilities, and Dartmouth gets renovated facilities, it's the trend that perpetuates. Of course the Forum is now slated for a reno, so that bucks the trend 'a bit'.

Is it not time for something special in Dartmouth (and please don't even mention the bus terminal).
If you think not getting new buildings and mostly getting renos is not fun, try growing up/living in Sackville. The bus terminal was the first newish thing to be built in the last ten years. All of the schools are older than 1990 and the ones I attended haven't been seriously updated since they were built (between 1970-1975).

I understand that Halifax and Dartmouth will understandably get most of the new infrastructure, but out there things are ridiculous. Metro Halifax (Halifax - Dartmouth - Bedford - LOWER Sackville) should be sharing the "wealth" a little better imo.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
If you think not getting new buildings and mostly getting renos is not fun, try growing up/living in Sackville. The bus terminal was the first newish thing to be built in the last ten years. All of the schools are older than 1990 and the ones I attended haven't been seriously updated since they were built (between 1970-1975).

I understand that Halifax and Dartmouth will understandably get most of the new infrastructure, but out there things are ridiculous. Metro Halifax (Halifax - Dartmouth - Bedford - LOWER Sackville) should be sharing the "wealth" a little better imo.
You raise some good points about Sackville. So none of the schools in Sackville are relatively new?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:22 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
You raise some good points about Sackville. So none of the schools in Sackville are relatively new?
The newest schools are in the Millwood area (the elementary and Jr. High were built in 2000 and 1999 respectfully). In the original Lower Sackville, the newest elementary school is Caudle Park (1984), Jr. High school is Cavalier Dr. (1984), and High School is technically Sackville High (1972).

In terms of recreation facilities, the Sackville Sports Stadium (1990) is the newest place. In its defense, they did build a new wing onto it about 10 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Interesting idea. Brightwood is a good puzzle. The debates on its future were before my time. It'll be interesting to see if the club is now set in its location for the long-term or whether they'll try again at some point to cash in on their valuable urban property.
Brightwood is slowly spiraling down. Their membership is down and they have been breaking even at best over the last few years. Most of their membership is older, and they are havng big problems trying to attract the type of members that are key to the viability of a golf club - the business types with expense accounts who use the club as a marketing tool. Those 30 and 40-somethings (usually but not always male) are no longer interested in Brightwood because the course is very short and is largely obsolete for those who like to hit the ball a long way. It is also a very difficult walking course due to the hilly terrain and those hills also make it less than satisfying to play. People who are used to the more typical golf courses found these days usually do not enjoy it. They also lack a driving range and essentially it is very much a throwback to the good old days when you could get by with such a facility. They do have a decent clubhouse facility but that is about it.

You might remember that 6 or 7 years ago Brightwood had a plan to do a land swap with Dexter Group to turn the current course property over to them for development in return for construction of a new course out by Magazine Hill on land that Dexter owns. Gloria torpedoed that by refusing to even let the proposal go to the public hearing stage. I think Brightwood is starting to realize that they have no hope of survival in their present location and would jump at the opportunity to sell, although I doubt if their Board of directors is all that capable of understanding what is going on or what it would take to relocate. Whether the property is worth what it would cost to relocate to a new facility somewhere else is unlikely IMO, so we may be seeing the last few years of it in its current form. It is sad, really.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Brightwood is slowly spiraling down. Their membership is down and they have been breaking even at best over the last few years. Most of their membership is older, and they are havng big problems trying to attract the type of members that are key to the viability of a golf club - the business types with expense accounts who use the club as a marketing tool. Those 30 and 40-somethings (usually but not always male) are no longer interested in Brightwood because the course is very short and is largely obsolete for those who like to hit the ball a long way. It is also a very difficult walking course due to the hilly terrain and those hills also make it less than satisfying to play. People who are used to the more typical golf courses found these days usually do not enjoy it. They also lack a driving range and essentially it is very much a throwback to the good old days when you could get by with such a facility. They do have a decent clubhouse facility but that is about it.
I think you just inadvertently described the Old Ashburn course as well. They successfully built a new course out in Windsor Junction. I remember the land swap proposal, and I guess Gloria thought the view of Halifax from one of the teeboxes was too important to give up, lest someone else be able to enjoy it too . I'll never figure her out. In theory, she should want the best for her district, but she seems to be OK with leaving a doughnut hole right in the middle of the urban part of Dartmouth. Never mind that she'll pat herself on the back for getting a "community" four-pad built that NOBODY in their right mind would dare walk to from the nearest actual community. Hey, all hockey moms have minivans anyway, right?

Could Brightwood merge with another course, and their remaining members be sent out there? If I ever get some spare time, I could design a street layout that integrates with the current layout surrounding it, with more density toward the middle, and single family homes on the edge with the hopes of not pissing off those living on the periphery. Is there such a thing as a heritage golf course?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

You might remember that 6 or 7 years ago Brightwood had a plan to do a land swap with Dexter Group to turn the current course property over to them for development in return for construction of a new course out by Magazine Hill on land that Dexter owns. Gloria torpedoed that by refusing to even let the proposal go to the public hearing stage. I think Brightwood is starting to realize that they have no hope of survival in their present location and would jump at the opportunity to sell, although I doubt if their Board of directors is all that capable of understanding what is going on or what it would take to relocate. Whether the property is worth what it would cost to relocate to a new facility somewhere else is unlikely IMO, so we may be seeing the last few years of it in its current form. It is sad, really.
God bless Gloria. This land should only be developed for public use, HRM can swap some unused land for Brightwood and then develop for public use. It would be a nice view for everyone to enjoy. They've gotten rid of the viewplanes, but given the range of the view any development downtown shouldn't be a problem.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
God bless Gloria. This land should only be developed for public use, HRM can swap some unused land for Brightwood and then develop for public use. It would be a nice view for everyone to enjoy. They've gotten rid of the viewplanes, but given the range of the view any development downtown shouldn't be a problem.
There would be a site for a 40+ storey development - you'd be able to see clear to New York City from there...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
Could Brightwood merge with another course, and their remaining members be sent out there? If I ever get some spare time, I could design a street layout that integrates with the current layout surrounding it, with more density toward the middle, and single family homes on the edge with the hopes of not pissing off those living on the periphery. Is there such a thing as a heritage golf course?
Brightwood had the opportunity to purchase Grandview Golf Club a few years ago when the family that developed it decided to sell. It was available for a very reasonable cost but to my knowledge the Brightwood bunch never even seriously considered it. That was really their last best chance. Building a new course would cost something close to $10 million for the type of course a private club with members paying $2500 apiece per year demands, and they really don't have that kind of money unless the city wants to pay them what the property would be worth to a developer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure