HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Totally right on this first point. To be honest, Allan shouldn't be accessible from Windsor because it creates a huge issue in people zooming down Allan to get to Harvard/Oxford... but then people would probably cut across the QC parking lot to Monastery, then up to Allan. I don't know if you can win with the layout!

Now... the ice situation makes this much worse... especially on a very narrow street like Allan that intersects Monastery. The ones in a hurry don't live in the neighbourhood, I can guarantee that.
Really. If the short sighted neighbours hadn't closed their streets when Quinpool Centre was developed there would have been more street capacity to filter traffic through instead of just Allan.
There are other streets in this situation too. Welsford, Shirley I can name more.
I heard someone blat this out at a St Pats site redevelopment meeting last year. I felt sorry for his situation but knew that his neighbours had screwed his street back in the 1970's.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:12 PM
GabeS

Concrete road quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That section was rebuilt at the time of Quinpool Center's original construction in the late 1970s. The idea was to manage traffic by blocking off the previously-connected Yukon and Yale streets that terminated at Monastery and to install an island on the west exit of the Quinpool Center parking lot that would force traffic exiting to turn left towards Quinpool rather than right towards Allan St. That last tactic failed and soon a chunk of the island was removed, either intentionally or by accident with a snowplow. Truthfully, the whole thing should be re-thought with the experience of 35 years.
If that concrete section of road was built in the 1970s and never maintained, and it's in THAT good shape (it's in horrible shape, but not for being built 30 years ago), we should be using concrete to build all downtown streets.

A note on good road construction: Inglis Street from Robie to at least Wellington or Tower, maybe South Park. This section of asphalt is very good quality. Lafarge did it back in 2006, and it has never needed touching up, nor has it seen any significant degradation.

I gather Lafarge was the only company that put in a bid that year for that stretch of road. Most of the contracts for resurfacing streets here go to Ocean and Sackville Trenching, and they routinely do a terrible job of sealing around drainage basins, curbs and medians.

It's a shame roads in our climate are built similarly or worse than roads in more southern latitudes where they don't worry about freezing and thawing, excessive water getting below the road surface, or proper drainage.

Last edited by cptstubing; Mar 11, 2015 at 6:15 PM. Reason: additional content

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 2:35 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohaligo View Post
Really. If the short sighted neighbours hadn't closed their streets when Quinpool Centre was developed there would have been more street capacity to filter traffic through instead of just Allan.
There are other streets in this situation too. Welsford, Shirley I can name more.
I heard someone blat this out at a St Pats site redevelopment meeting last year. I felt sorry for his situation but knew that his neighbours had screwed his street back in the 1970's.
Yes, its true... but I think that was also because of issues related to turning on to Monastery.

The streets off of Robie are similar... but Allan is the worst example coming off of Windsor... largely to avoid Chebucto and that it connects all the way in a straight line to Connaught Ave.

Closing Allan might just push the traffic up to Lawrence... which does not connect directly to Oxford, but hits Harvard (or Chebucto lane would be used to get back onto Allan). The positive might be a quieter neighborhood behind Quinpool Centre and more people using Quinpool to access QC, Windsor and Chebucto (to go North or West) as they should be if they don't have any reason to go directly through the neighbourhood (the entire issue).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure