HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 6:28 PM

Get them off the roads and put containers on barges to a Woodside terminal and then on to the Circumferential.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 4:51 AM

http://www.metronews.ca/views/halifa...fic-queue.html

Interesting in that it's written from the perspective of a driver, not (necessarily) a transit user.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
http://www.metronews.ca/views/halifa...fic-queue.html

Interesting in that it's written from the perspective of a driver, not (necessarily) a transit user.
She is hardly a typical driver. She is an EAC member and now writes for Bousquet's rag, so clearly she is about as left-wing and anti-car as you can get.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 3:13 PM

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:24 PM

^^^ Geez, that almost looks like a real city!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 11:11 PM

I had people coming into work saying it took them over an hour and a half to get from Penhorn to West End Halifax.

Made me glad that I work and live on the peninsula so road closures are no problems due to the ample deoturs available and as a cyclist I can bike through traffic line-ups if needed.

- DJ

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
^^^ Geez, that almost looks like a real city!
Lol. I said the same thing. Looks like the 407 between Vaughan and Richmond Hill.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 1:43 PM

You know that Halifax is a nice place to live when the biggest news is that there was a traffic jam.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:48 PM

An interesting little hypothetical discussion:

Will robot cars drive traffic congestion off a cliff?

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...on-off-a-cliff

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:34 PM

I wonder if HRM makes use of this company's data? Seems very interesting and probably a better investment than a lot of the things they are wasting tax dollars on.

http://inrix.com/press-releases/us-hotspots/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:53 PM

I like using the tom tom traffic index, when narrowed down to any Canadian city regardless of population Halifax is 5th worst in the country, unsurprisingly Vancouver Montreal and Toronto made the top three.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic...ALL&country=CA

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That doesn't surprise me. It's worth mentioning as well that Halifax has the worst transit by far of those top 5 cities, so the overall transportation options are pretty bad. The only thing saving the city is that it's fairly small and most people don't have to travel far.

It is depressing how so many Canadian cities just keep getting worse and worse in terms of travel times. They should be getting better as technology improves. Unfortunately infrastructure spending is limited and the projects are highly political; if they don't benefit certain demographics they don't get built. Rich people who work less, have more leisure time, and can afford to live where they want are much less affected by bad transportation options. The poor are hardest hit, and can least afford spending extra hours travelling.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 6:27 PM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 11:48 AM

I have to wonder what those figures actually mean.

For example, I've driven in most of the Canadian cities on the list and Halifax doesn't 'seem' to be nearly as busy/congested as many of them. Sure, we have traffic congestion but my experience in Halifax is that even if you do get stuck in traffic, it moves along rather quickly and you can usually get where you need to go by only passing through one or two bottlenecks. However during the times when I went through Montreal, which is only 4 points above Halifax, the traffic seemed to be 100 times worse.

Perhaps I'm not perceiving the data in the way it's intended, but it seems out of scale to me.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:50 PM

Sooo looking into their numbers a little more:

Quote:
"A 53% congestion level in Bangkok, for example, means that a trip will take 53% more time than it would during Bangkok’s baseline uncongested conditions."
If I'm understanding this correctly, that's a super weird and meaningless way to rank things. It gives zero indication of how often things are congested, which seems like the more salient point. If it takes 100% longer to get anywhere on Canada Day, but is free flowing the rest of the year, why do we really care?

The other part of this that makes it kind of meaningless is that it ignores typical travel times. 40% congestion in Los Angeles is way worse than 40% congestion in Halifax, because base travel times are so widely different. If my usual commute is 20 minutes and it goes up 40% to 28 minutes, I care a lot less than if my base commute is 100 minutes and it goes up 40% to 140 minutes.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 10:35 PM

I feel like I understand what they're trying to present but I'm not sure how useful that is in isolation. Basically it's "how far from optimal is traffic flow". If you look at the Canadian cities for example, the gradient of Vancouver (frequent, heavy congestion) - Halifax (moderate congestion) - Edmonton - (relatively little congestion) makes sense; you're more likely in Vancouver than in Halifax to be going below speed limit due to other vehicles obstructing you and less likely in Edmonton than in Halifax.

Commute/intra-regional travel times would be functions of distance and congestion along with other factors (speed limits, traffic lights etc). So between two commutes over roughly the same distance, the one with higher congestion would tend to take longer. Between two commutes with similar congestion, the one with longer distance would tend to take longer (all else being equal).

An instance where this metric might be more important is in terms of adding new transportation infrastructure to the existing network. In this case, adding things like transit or bike lanes on existing streets would tend to require fewer compromises in Edmonton than in Halifax, and would require more compromises in Vancouver (using Halifax as a baseline, there's "excess" existing road capacity in Edmonton and a defecit of existing road capacity in Vancouver, based on congestion).

Anecdotally London ON does feel about as congested as Halifax but more spread out over the course of the day. In Halifax there's heavy congestion during peak hours and little congestion the rest of the time. In London it's more like moderate congestion all the time.

Having Kitchener-Waterloo at the bottom makes sense because in addition to having above-average freeway infrastructure the K-W area also has few natural obstacles and multiple focal points.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 9:00 PM

Sounds like they are just using relative data. If their ‘baseline uncongested state’ is already higher compared to other places then comparisons to other cities doesn’t mean much in terms of what it is like to drive in one city vs another.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 12:08 AM

Traffic last night on the Mackay Bridge (111 was backed up to Mic Mac Mall)

https://twitter.com/HNewspj/status/1461081664059330561

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 2:26 PM
Cap the Cut!

I wonder if that's a BRT bus in the bottom left of the pic? Regardless of whether it is or not, we know that this bridge traffic situation happens all too often on both harbour bridges. This would seem to clearly illustrate that only true solution to rapid transit in this city is a dedicated transit bridge or bridge lane. Now I'm wondering if a rail bridge would require less maintenance than a bus bridge given the nearly annual paving that happens on our current bridges. I wonder if there's anyone who would say that they'd rather be in that bus than in any one of the private cars?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 2:36 PM

By Metro area tomtom has Halifax on average with the 3rd longest drive to travel 10 km in North America last year.

https://www.tomtom.com/traffic-index...y=CA%2CMX%2CUS

https://www.tomtom.com/traffic-index/halifax-traffic/

Traffic on the 102 this week:

Source: https://twitter.com/bedford_driver/s...12084666646548

Last edited by q12; Aug 23, 2023 at 3:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure