HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 11:22 PM

Carpooling in Halifax

I know that car sharing has become very popular in Halifax, but I'm wondering why more people don't carpool. I know there are carpool lots in communities that are a bit further out, but with so many people travelling in the same direction all the time all over the city, what makes people getting into a car with a stranger, or allowing someone in their car so difficult. Is it safety, inconvenience, or payment of the ride? Carpooling used to be very popular but it doesn't seem too common anymore.

Just curious to hear the thoughts on the matter from this group. Would you carpool? Do you? Would it not help the traffic situation significantly if widely adopted?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 5:22 AM

I didn't really know carpooling with strangers was a thing. I've always thought of carpooling as sharing a ride with friends/acquaintances who are all going to the same destination. What you described sounds more like hitchhiking, just marginally more organized. Then again maybe I've just never seen a "real" carpool.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haligonian88 View Post
I know that car sharing has become very popular in Halifax, but I'm wondering why more people don't carpool. I know there are carpool lots in communities that are a bit further out, but with so many people travelling in the same direction all the time all over the city, what makes people getting into a car with a stranger, or allowing someone in their car so difficult. Is it safety, inconvenience, or payment of the ride? Carpooling used to be very popular but it doesn't seem too common anymore.

Just curious to hear the thoughts on the matter from this group. Would you carpool? Do you? Would it not help the traffic situation significantly if widely adopted?
I thought about carpooling, at one point, but I found that my colleagues and I simply can't match our schedules - we work flexible hours all over the clock, we run errands on the way home, we go for drinks or eats or walks or whatever after work, or any myriad of other factors. We simply don't travel consistently at the same times every day.

It might work in an office or factory where everyone punches the clock at exactly the same time and heads straight home to the kids. But I don't see a lot of this any more, even among the unionized staff in my field.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 12:23 PM

I worked in the Valley for 4 years and carpooled with a woman in the same office. That worked out fine. We generally had the same hours, and when I had to stay late or something it was easy enough to communicate. She also lived right on the route between my home and work, so it wasn't a big detour to meet up.

However, at one point we tried adding people who were going the same way but weren't in the same office. That didn't really work out. Even the extra 10 minutes it took to pick them up and drop them off at their separate location became a real downer, and coordinating on snowy days and the like became a huge hassle. Commuting sucks enough already, so the added hassle of dealing with someone else just wasn't worth it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure