HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 6:53 PM

Scotiabank Centre

Pictured: 2016 University Cup championship game between St. FX & UNB
Source: Twitter @ProducedBySEA

Quote:
http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey...iences-of-2016

Top 100 Stadium Experiences of 2016
Paul Swaney
PAUL SWANEY
January 16th, 2017 at 9:47 AM

In 2016, the writers at Stadium Journey reviewed 761 different stadium experiences. We renewed our love for many of the venues that have consistently been on our best stadiums list. We also found some new destinations that we had either not known about or previously did not appreciate as much as they may have deserved.

#39 Halifax Mooseheads, Scotiabank Centre

Read more here: http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey...iences-of-2016
The Halifax Mooseheads just posted on twitter that the Scotiabank Centre made #39 of the Top 100 Stadium Experiences for 2016.

The list includes some good company (#36 Boston Red Sox, Fenway Park). Only the Winnipeg Jets, MTS Centre was higher on the list in Canada (#5).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 7:23 PM
Honored Member

Wow, that is impressive, and a great picture also.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 7:41 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Love them to add seating at the north end at Duke St. Even better raise the roof and add even more seating..... I wonder if that is possible.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Love them to add seating at the north end at Duke St. Even better raise the roof and add even more seating..... I wonder if that is possible.
Not possible within a reasonable budget. It has been looked at.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 9:28 PM

There is something like 54 Luxury Suites/Skyboxes, I wonder if they would add them to the north end to have a complete bowl of them.

Also the roof is currently being replaced and looks like it is almost finished.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 10:09 PM

Obviously whoever gave the place such a rosy rating never sat in the upper bowl seats with views obstructed by those damn private boxes.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 10:23 PM
Halifax Promoter!

You don't have to replace the new roof, just raise it and push out at Duke St. ? I just wonder how much that would cost.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:01 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
You don't have to replace the new roof, just raise it and push out at Duke St. ? I just wonder how much that would cost.
Unfortunately, there is a viewplane over the roof.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:38 AM

Since this is a govt building, do municipal bylaws actually apply?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 2:45 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I believe that most of the viewplanes are unnecessary and should be done away with. I have said it before, the only one that should exist is to the open harbour mouth and really that is all we need.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:19 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Obviously whoever gave the place such a rosy rating never sat in the upper bowl seats with views obstructed by those damn private boxes.
It seems like the high rating in the Top 100 was mostly due to the Centre's tremendous location in Downtown Halifax. The top 100 list had a particular fascination with baseball stadiums which to me says that they either prefer unique stadiums or stadiums in good locations either with unique views or attributes. The number of race tracks in the top 15 (three, IIRC) is a testament to this uniqueness that they seemed to desire in their Top 100.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:28 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I agree that since the skyboxes went in, the view within the Scotiabank Centre have diminished tremendously. One used to be able to look directly across from one side of the upper bowl to the other side. Again, it would've been nice to build the Skyboxes and raise the roof, but alas, we are stuck with this.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:33 AM

I explained why the roof cannot be raised on here before... The structure as it is built is NOT easily expandable due to how the roof is constructed and how the supports for both the roof and bowls are constructed... The roof can be raised however the load that the roof supports for large concerts would have to be drastically reduced making it useless for basically any winter concert of any size due to increased snow load and only marginally usefull for summer concert use.

If everybody would have been smart about this we would have built a new rink and then converted the metro centre into convention space. We could have had one new massive open floor with 35 feet of trim height and a smaller space bellow it with 20 ish feet of height. Add that to the space available next door and we could have hosted any convention we wanted... And had a new bigger arena.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:50 PM

CBC Halifax did a cool story on the CIS Men's Bastketball Final 8 that is back in Halifax this week. They showed footage of the SMU vs Acadia 1978 Final 8 at the then brand new Halifax Metro Centre which would have been only open for a Month. The story mentions there was over 11,000 in attendance there for the final.

You can watch the story here at the 13:00 min mark. http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/893401667689

Here are couple screenshots of the newly opened Metro Centre at capacity without the sky boxes:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:58 PM

Here is a picture from SMU Library archives as well:

Source: library2.smu.ca

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:28 AM
Honored Member

Thanks for posting this q12. I was at that game. I mainly went to see the new opened Metro Centre but the game turned out to be very exciting, especially because I was cheering for the Halifax team of SMU.

The coach got the attendance wrong through. He probably added a few hundred people in the court seats. However, the Metro Centre capacity was only 9,600 at that time prior to the addition of concourse and skybox seats, and I remember the attendance was considered to be 10,000 at the time. Even so, I think it was a record for university basketball at the time.

PS: The Scotiabank Centre looks great from court level, with the new black seats.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thanks for posting this q12. I was at that game. I mainly went to see the new opened Metro Centre but the game turned out to be very exciting, especially because I was cheering for the Halifax team of SMU.

The coach got the attendance wrong through. He probably added a few hundred people in the court seats. However, the Metro Centre capacity was only 9,600 at that time prior to the addition of concourse and skybox seats, and I remember the attendance was considered to be 10,000 at the time. Even so, I think it was a record for university basketball at the time.

PS: The Scotiabank Centre looks great from court level, with the new black seats.
That's awesome that you were at that game, it looked like a great atmosphere. The black and white photo shows a lot of people in standing room along the concourse (which is no longer allowed). The link below also cites official attendance at 11,000 which may have been an estimate based on those standing.

Quote:
http://sirc.ca/news/cis-basketball-c...oops-classic-0

TOP 5 CIS BASKETBALL CROWDS (all games included)
12,139 (men): Memorial vs. McMaster (Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Oct. 25, 2004)
11,853 (men): UNB vs. McMaster (Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Oct. 30, 2003)
11,000 (men): Acadia vs. Saint Mary’s (Halifax, March 1978)
10,877 (men): McGill vs. McMaster (Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Oct. 25, 2005)
10,523 (women/men): Carleton vs. Ottawa (Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, Jan. 28, 2009)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:15 AM

Quote:

I wasn't there, but dad took me to a number of Voyagers games. As a kid I delivered the Mail Star and to pass the time between houses, I would read the articles near the front of the paper. I have a visceral memory of a picture in the paper just before MC opened of workers installing the seats. I really enjoyed going there, particularly when I could walk all the way around the concourse and still see what was going on.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:00 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I wasn't there, but dad took me to a number of Voyagers games. As a kid I delivered the Mail Star and to pass the time between houses, I would read the articles near the front of the paper. I have a visceral memory of a picture in the paper just before MC opened of workers installing the seats. I really enjoyed going there, particularly when I could walk all the way around the concourse and still see what was going on.
It was exciting when it opened. As a teenager, I had the chance of going up to the top of the Scotia Square Duke Tower while the Metro Centre was under construction and was able to look down and see the construction. Those were exciting times. I can understand the excitement in Moncton as they watch their new Events Centre taking shape.

I saw Voyagers games at the old Forum (and at least one game at the Metro Centre), and I was at the Forum when it was literally packed to the rafters and saw them win the Calder Cup (I think it was the 1971-1972 season).

I delivered both the Chronicle Herald and Mail Star and followed Halifax construction projects closely. Prior to the Metro Centre being built, there was a proposal to build a 10,000 seat arena in Dartmouth close to one of the Bridges (early in the 1970's). The idea was to build a 10,000 seat arena which could be expanded to over 15,000 by raising the roof. That seemed like it would have been a dream come through. However, I can see that downtown Halifax was the best location for the Metro Centre.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I was there as well. The place was rocking. I remember in the last few seconds the SMU center, a big man who wasn't a great jumper but more of a battleship body type, was left alone under the basket and they found him with a pass. He took his time winding up and managed a loud dunk, and the place erupted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure