HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 6:20 PM

The "vainest" buildings in the world [the Independent]

Interesting way to think about it:

Quote:
The height of vanity: Why taller isn’t better and the 10 vainest buildings in the world
Cities around the world compete for the kudos of having the highest buildings. But many ‘supertalls’ have swaths of space that is uninhabitable

MONDAY 09 SEPTEMBER 2013

Some of the world’s tallest skyscrapers have been criticised for being built with added “vanity height”, which serves no practical purpose other than to push them into the architectural category of “supertall”.

A report on the world’s “vainest” buildings, by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), has found that up to 39 per cent of many new skyscrapers’ height consisted of entirely uninhabitable space.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...d-8805154.html

And here's their list of the vainest buildings in the world:

10. Minsheng Bank Building (Wuhan)
9. The Pinnacle (Guangzhou)
8. Rose Rayhaan (Dubai)
7. Emirates Tower Two (Dubai)
6. NY Times Tower (New York)
5. Emirates Tower One (Dubai)
4. Burj Al Arab (Dubai)
3. Bank of America Tower (New York)
2. Zifeng Tower (Nanjing)
1. Burj Khalifa (Dubai)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 6:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ if the CTBUH would just stop counting poles stuck on the top of buildings as "architectural elements" and include them in the buildings' official heights, then this list becomes mostly unnecessary.

it's their own dumb rules that promote the practice in the first place.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Trump Tower this, Trump Tower that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Tower

Any building bearing Dumbald Trump's name is automatically listed among the vainest buildings.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Trump Tower this, Trump Tower that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Tower

Any building bearing Dumbald Trump's name is automatically listed among the vainest buildings.
Not by the standard they are using. His buildings actually vary rarely have a spire/unused space because that costs money and does not add to profit.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:16 AM
if I sang out of tune

so what we're meant to have square blocks ad nauseum? I actually like spires.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the interior and exterior of the (original) trump tower in NYC has repeatedly been described as "ostentatiously ugly". Like Donald and his pink ties/toupee
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 3:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
the interior and exterior of the (original) trump tower in NYC has repeatedly been described as "ostentatiously ugly".
i've never found the exterior of the original trump tower in NYC to be ugly. the overall look of exterior is nothing terribly special, but's not really anything i'd describe as "ostentatiously ugly". it's kinda par for the course 80s design.

source: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=7050

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 4:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I actually like the outside of the original trump tower, and the interior 6-storey waterfall.

http://www.thefunkyapple.com/2010/07...ump-not-happy/

New York's Ugliest buildings, according to AIA

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:50 PM

Wow, that AIA list is horrible.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:54 PM

The spires on the New York Times Building and the Bank of America are there specifically to replace that antennae lost when the World Trade Center collapsed. AIA should know better.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
The spires on the New York Times Building and the Bank of America are there specifically to replace that antennae lost when the World Trade Center collapsed.
what? the spires on the NYTimes bulding and BofA are decorative, they have no broadcasting function.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
His buildings actually vary rarely have a spire/unused space because that costs money and does not add to profit.
I guess "his" tallest doesn't count then?

Or "his" newest?

Or "his" oldest?

Or "his" Panamanian?

Last edited by Private Dick; Sep 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 9:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
the donald didn't want to pay for a spire on his chicago tower, so he eliminated it from adrian smith's design. when mayor daley got wind of that plan he more or less strong-armed trump into adding it back into the project. true story.

Daley to Trump: You're spired!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
what? the spires on the NYTimes bulding and BofA are decorative, they have no broadcasting function.
Oops... my bad. I just assumed that they did.

I stand corrected.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post

Or "his" newest?

Or "his" oldest?

Or "his" Panamanian?

That's why I said vary rarely. Do you have any idea how many buildings have this guys name on them verses how many have a spire? Also, I don't think his "oldest" counts in the spire question since he didn't having anything to do with green-lighting its design. So you have 3 examples... There are 42 Trump buildings on the diagram on this website. None of their spires are especially excessive.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
That's why I said vary rarely. Do you have any idea how many buildings have this guys name on them verses how many have a spire? Also, I don't think his "oldest" counts in the spire question since he didn't having anything to do with green-lighting its design. So you have 3 examples... There are 42 Trump buildings on the diagram on this website. None of their spires are especially excessive.
Interesting how "his" 4 tallest (which includes 3 of his newest) all have spires...

Mismatched, superfluous spires atop tall, often boxy buildings are a sign of the times in design -- they have nothing to do with Donald Trump's preferences.

Donald Trump has little to nothing to do with the design of nearly all of "his" buildings now. I use "his" with quotes because he just lends his idiotic name to projects that he has little to do with... just like he does with his chocolates, neckties, suits, cigars, perfumes, etc. He has pimped out his name and is a nauseating master of self-promotion -- somehow magically getting people to buy into the notion that his name is synonymous with quality. He is hardly a developer anymore. He primarily licenses the name to developers, and is mostly a very limited equity owner in most projects bearing his name -- often with no ownership whatsoever... contrary to his bombastic claims.

And, of course Trump had nothing to do with "green-lighting" the design of 40 Wall Street... just like he has nothing to do with green-lighting the design of most of "his" buildings. You really think a guy who spends the vast majority of his time cultivating his ridiculous celebrity persona has the time to run a major international real estate development company?

Forgot "his" U/C Filipino. Nice spires.

Last edited by Private Dick; Sep 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:58 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
The spires on the New York Times Building and the Bank of America are there specifically to replace that antennae lost when the World Trade Center collapsed. AIA should know better.
Actually, the antenna on the Conde Nast building was built to replace the one lost during 9/11. Interestingly, it makes the building look much more complete.

http://www.globalconstructionwatch.c...ilding-ny3.jpg

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Trump is becoming a synonym for Tasteless Ostentatiousness. He is ruining his brand with his bombastic boorishness, stupid public antics and ridiculous hairstyle.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 12:52 AM
Vancouver Moderator

It's a shame that he is now the name on the Trump Tower project in Vancouver, but it's going to be an awesome building: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=138004

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 2:52 AM

I would say the Empire State building and the Chrysler building are both some of the vainest, why are they not on the list?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture