HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
And with regard to the Mariners--a lot of people root for the Mariners here, and the Seahawks are huge. I can't understand why.
Because they're the closest teams, and the only ones that people from Portland can go to the games of with any regularity?

Anyways, I wonder where people from Seattle would prefer to have a rival team: Portland or Vancouver BC?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:04 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I’m glad Portland doesn’t have MLB. If we get MLB, I hope they put it out in the suburbs.

I used to live a few blocks from PGE park in NW. I can do without the traffic, drunken hooligans and garbage on the street on game days. That’s just my personal preference...
Well Leo, if you don't like living next to a baseball stadium, then DON'T LIVE NEXT TO A BASEBALL STADIUM.

There, problem solved.

NOW, can we have an MLB team? Or do we need to wait for your approval?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
..... I wonder where people from Seattle would prefer to have a rival team: Portland or Vancouver BC?
No offense, but it's probably irrelevant what Seattlites think about MLB in PDX. If anything, it gives them another option for those who don't like the M's.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Well Leo, if you don't like living next to a baseball stadium, then DON'T LIVE NEXT TO A BASEBALL STADIUM.
More more generally speaking, if you don't like living near where things are happening, then don't live in the inner city.

Put it out in the burbs, and more people will have to drive their cars to it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
No offense, but it's probably irrelevant what Seattlites think about MLB in PDX. If anything, it gives them another option for those who don't like the M's.
Do you mean because it'll likely be an NL team, it'll be more of an alternative than a rival to the M's?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:26 PM
Karma Police

Definitely if it's an NL team, Seattleites will be able to see teams that they typically wouldn't be able to. But even if it's a rival team in the AL, not everyone in Seattle is an M's fan.....

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
However, Seattle to me will always be the bigger and more cosmopolitan Northwest city that gets more press. I could never root for a Seattle team. I'll drink Victrola Coffee, eat crumpets at the market, tour the most gorgeous public library I have ever laid eyes on, watch the sunset turn the Olympic Mountains pink, and experience all that is great about the Emerald City. But when it comes to sports, I love watching the Seahawks and the Mariners get crushed into the dirt. And I can't wait until Portland has more teams to do that job--whether that's in five years or fifty.
Do Portlanders generally have this sort of kid brother complex towards Seattle, btw? I think we in VanBC feel we hold up quite well against Seattle, even though we have the same population as Portland. I suppose being in a different country (with a separate national media) may help, and the lack of rivalry between us in any major sports leagues leaves us with little reason to hate them. Even more reason I'd like to see VanBC get a team.

Not only that, but Canada, as well as the Northwest, could use an NL representative. And a team here would probably get all of Western Canada pulling for it, whereas a Portland team's fan base will probably be limited to Oregon and parts of Washington and Idaho.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Do Portlanders generally have this sort of kid brother complex towards Seattle, btw?
not that I notice, no.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:12 AM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Do Portlanders generally have this sort of kid brother complex towards Seattle, btw?
It's not a complex at all...

It's a fact that Seattle is the bigger and more notable city in the region. That's the way it is. Portland, meanwhile, is only other American city in the region of any size and that should automatically create a great sports rivalry. Think New York/Boston--Pittsburgh/Cleveland, etc. These rivalries aren't about teams as much as cities in a region. They're healthy ways for urban areas to compete. Europeans used to kill each other, now they have soccer.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Europeans used to kill each other, now they have soccer.
...which gives them an excuse to continue to kill each other.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:53 AM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
..which gives them an excuse to continue to kill each other.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 4:10 AM

Too true, too true

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Do Portlanders generally have this sort of kid brother complex towards Seattle, btw? I think we in VanBC feel we hold up quite well against Seattle, even though we have the same population as Portland. I suppose being in a different country (with a separate national media) may help, and the lack of rivalry between us in any major sports leagues leaves us with little reason to hate them. Even more reason I'd like to see VanBC get a team.

Not only that, but Canada, as well as the Northwest, could use an NL representative. And a team here would probably get all of Western Canada pulling for it, whereas a Portland team's fan base will probably be limited to Oregon and parts of Washington and Idaho.
Portland is the grungy alternative sister, Seattle is paris hilton with money, and Vancouver Bc is the snobby rich sister who looks good

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 9:13 AM

^ That's odd considering Seattle spawned grunge. What is Paris Hilton without money?

Last edited by Black Box; Jan 26, 2007 at 9:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Because they're the closest teams, and the only ones that people from Portland can go to the games of with any regularity?

Anyways, I wonder where people from Seattle would prefer to have a rival team: Portland or Vancouver BC?
Did it matter that much when Vancouver, BC had an NBA franchise?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 9:27 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnClimber View Post
Portland is the grungy alternative sister, Seattle is paris hilton with money, and Vancouver Bc is the snobby rich sister who looks good
Bad analogy, MC. However, given those three sisters, which one is more interesting?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:17 PM

That's odd considering Seattle spawned grunge

Maybe so, but all of those bands (in the words of Curt Cobian) stole the sound from a Portland band by the name of the Wipers. The Wipers cut records in the early to mid 80s that sounded much like grunge, long before the term grunge ever came along.

Anyways, I don't think Portland has any complex about Seattle at all, at least not that I've ever noticed. It's not something people even consider in my mind.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:33 PM

Quote:

There, problem solved.

NOW, can we have an MLB team? Or do we need to wait for your approval?
I don’t live near a baseball stadium, so there isn’t an issue now. But building one downtown would create an issue for many people where there wasn’t one before. I bet I’m not the only person near the North Park Blocks that would rather live next to the post office than next to a stadium ...

I just wanted to offer the opinion that not everyone in Portland is looking forward to MLB. To some of us, bringing MLB to downtown Portland is akin to putting the highway back over the Waterfront park – it kills one of the things we like about Portland.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:36 PM

Sorry for raining on the sports lovers parade, but does anybody else think that the days of public dollars for millionaire's stadiums are coming to an end? Portland is a very progressive city, and I can't imagine that there wouldn't be an uproar over squandering public dollars for a stadium. The studies that say that the dollars come back in the form of taxes have been shown to be suspect.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 6:38 PM

Interesting...i'm willing to bet you're one of the few who would rather have a post office instead of a baseball stadium. Dead zone vs. entertainment zone, hmmm...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment