HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:59 PM

Canada's Most Dangerous Places

Yet another one of those MSN sponsored lists that I happened on when I signed out of my Hotmail just now..I thought I would share it on here for some discussion.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/photos...ignout#image=1

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 4:24 PM

What's to discuss? The idea that any of this constitutes "dangerous" perhaps?

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 4:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Most of it is kind of silly (e.g. calling a research base in Nunavut dangerously cold), but the pedestrian death counts were pretty surprising to me.

Vancouver does seem to have a lot of pedestrian collisions and deaths. A lot of the city has a bad semi-suburban mix of high pedestrian traffic counts and wide, busy arterial roads with fast-moving vehicles. I live next to a SkyTrain station built over a major arterial where cars go 60-70 km/h and a lot of people coming out of the station cross the road. A pedestrian is struck and killed there on average every few years; it's happened multiple times since I've lived here.

On top of that there are a lot of, er, interesting people here who behave erratically. In the Downtown Eastside it is common for people to suddenly run out into traffic. I've also seen people riding electric wheelchairs down the street going the wrong way, etc. Hastings Street in that neighbourhood is 6 lanes. People must get hit there all the time.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 6:27 PM
Closed account

The list begs the questions:

Is there a safe city to be a IV drug user?

Is there a better place to freeze to death - should I be glad that I'm lost outside in Northern Manitoba in the dead of winter because at least I'm not in Nunavut?

Is my car being stolen a danger to me, really? It sucks and may be a sign of an underlying crime issue, but it's not like being carjacked in Johannesburg.

Serious aside: I thought the twinning of Alberta Highway 63 has really mitigated the fatality rate on the highway. They're using 2001-2013 data - not really representative of the status of the highway now. Surely there's more dangerous roads now, right?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada