HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
-----------

Not clear what Jeff Leiper stands for? Old gas station that nobody will ever develop with contaminated soil or quality construction? I have yet to hear anything positive and/or constructive from our new city councillor. In addition, his staff is useless at getting issues addressed when we contact them. Sounds like he is too busy pandering to anti-development community associations in his riding.
My understanding is that, as the patron saint of NIMBYers on city council, he stands against development proposals if any one of his constituents thinks it might cause disruption, minor inconvenience or if it might result in something different being built from what was there before. Change = bad, same = good.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 10:13 AM

Also: tax-and-spend liberal. I've earned a small degree of respect from the public, though, for my strong pro-mural, pro-crossing-guard stances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
My understanding is that, as the patron saint of NIMBYers on city council, he stands against development proposals if any one of his constituents thinks it might cause disruption, minor inconvenience or if it might result in something different being built from what was there before. Change = bad, same = good.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:44 PM
National Capital Region

@mpearson78 39s39 seconds ago
Mizrahi Development's 'landmark' condo bldg at Wellington West/Island Park approved by OMB today. http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/...-is-a-landmark … #ottnews #ottpoli

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:28 PM
Living With My Mother

Hooray!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:48 PM

Well, it's going to stick out like a sore thumb (a nice sore thumb, mind you!), at least until some other "landmark" development occurs in the area.

Now, let's just hope Mizrahi doesn't cheap out on materials, or this thing will truly look hideous!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:17 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but take a look at the Mizrahi website; you'll see how much the original design for this building looks like the 133 Hazelton development in Toronto. It's a near exact replica!

http://mizrahidevelopments.ca/#/featured-projects

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 3:24 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OMB approves 'landmark' condo tower for Ottawa

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: December 4, 2015 | Last Updated: December 4, 2015 7:22 PM EST

The Ontario Municipal Board has given its final blessing to a developer’s proposal to build a “landmark” condominium tower in Ottawa, bringing an end to a drawn-out affair over what will be built at the corner of Wellington Street West and Island Park Drive.

Mizrahi Developments initially wanted to construct a 12-storey building at 1445 and 1451 Wellington St. W., but council turned down the project because the proposed height exceeded what the rules allow for that location.

The developer appealed the decision to the OMB, which gave it two options: Cap the building at nine storeys or demonstrate “landmark” architecture for the top of the building sufficient to persuade the board to allow 12 storeys.

The OMB’s criteria for a building taller than nine storeys called for the addition of a distinctive, picturesque top that must “stand out by virtue of design” and contain an “element of wow.”

Mizrahi’s design, created by architect Henry Burstyn of the Toronto firm Page and Steele, shows a building with a pronounced bronze and copper roof and spire-topped corner tower.

Despite some reservations over what exactly constitutes a “wow” factor, city council ruled last month that the Mizrahi project met the test for landmark architecture based on the criteria supplied by the OMB.

The board gave Mizrahi the official green light on Friday.

In a statement, the developer said the boutique condo building will feature 24/7 concierge service, spa and fitness facilities and entertainment suites.

Construction is slated to begin in 2017.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/...wer-for-ottawa

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 12:44 PM

there goes the neighbourhood...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
there goes the neighbourhood...
Any links to the final OMB decision on this. I couldn't find it on the OMB website.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but take a look at the Mizrahi website; you'll see how much the original design for this building looks like the 133 Hazelton development in Toronto. It's a near exact replica!

http://mizrahidevelopments.ca/#/featured-projects
The original yes, the redesign no.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 6:03 PM

Preferred original proposal

To be honest, I preferred the original design. Oh well, when buildings are designed by committees, we tend to get some strange results. Hopefully the units will sell quickly and this ugly gas station will be replaced by a nice condo building soon. Not sure what will be done (if anything) with the old gas station on the lot in diagonal given its heritage status.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I preferred the original design. Oh well, when buildings are designed by committees, we tend to get some strange results. Hopefully the units will sell quickly and this ugly gas station will be replaced by a nice condo building soon. Not sure what will be done (if anything) with the old gas station on the lot in diagonal given its heritage status.
Nothing will happen. It is too much of a nuisance to deal with as a developer so it will likely decay and fall down.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:00 AM

OMB approves Mizrahi Wellington West development

OMB approves Mizrahi Welllington West development

Ottawa Business Journal

Tom Pechloff Published on December 04, 2015

The Ontario Municipal Board has approved Mizrahi's second proposal for a mixed use development for the corner of Wellington Street and Island Park Drive.

Construction is set to begin in 2017 on a controversial 12-storey condo tower on Wellington Street after the Ontario Municipal Board approved the Mizrahi Development building Friday.

“I still continue to hear every week if not every day from people who much prefer the original 12-storey design,” he said.

Mr. Leiper said he will have a “brief chat” with Mizrahi and the city about the design before shovels go in the ground.

While the developer, city staff, council and the planning committee as a whole are happy with the new design, Mr. Leiper, who sits on the planning committee, is not.

“I don’t think there’s a lot left to talk about in terms of how this building will contribute to the neighbourhood. I disagree with much of that,” he said.

Now attention will turn to day-to-day construction issues. Mr. Leiper said he expects to develop a good relationship with Mizrahi and is resigned to the fact the new design will likely not change.

“If I were a betting man, I would suggest the copper roof would stay,” he said.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Constr...-development/1

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Now attention will turn to day-to-day construction issues. Mr. Leiper said he expects to develop a good relationship with Mizrahi and is resigned to the fact the new design will likely not change.

“If I were a betting man, I would suggest the copper roof would stay,” he said.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Constr...-development/1
What is the problem with a copper roof?

Is the local chapter of NIMBY International worried about the copper roof's impact on traffic, its ability to cast the neighbourhood for 3/4 of a mile around into PERPETUAL DARKNESS FOREVER, or is it a proven child-killer?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 9:51 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I think it's a splendid building. Whether or not it is consistent with the neighbourhood is another question.

But folks put up a fuss when they could had something more in keeping with its less austentatious neighbors. So now they get this.

Be careful what you wish for.
Do I have to say this again?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 3:43 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 5:13 PM

Mr. Mizrahi appears to be in some very serious trouble. Who knows if this site will even get out of the ground...

http://business.financialpost.com/pe...deal-gone-awry

Quote:
An Iranian fugitive, Toronto property mogul and a deal gone awry

Sam Mizrahi, one of Canada’s best-known property developers, was building two luxury condominiums in midtown Toronto last year when he says he received a phone call from someone who demanded millions of dollars, threatened to burn his house down and ruin his reputation.

The person on the other end of the line, Mizrahi said in court filings, was Mahmoud Reza Khavari, former chairman of Iran’s largest state-owned lender, wanted since 2011 for his alleged involvement in the biggest fraud scheme in Iran’s history. He was also the father of Mizrahi’s business partner and a key source of capital for the developer’s two condo projects, according to the documents.

How a real estate tycoon found himself entangled with a wealthy fugitive, who is now the subject of a diplomatic spat between Canada and Iran, is detailed in lawsuits before an Ontario court. The dispute shines a light on the opaque world of private condo funding in one of North America’s hottest housing markets. The allegations haven’t been proven in court and the case is ongoing.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 1:54 AM

Found these two on Mizrahi's website.

http://mizrahidevelopments.ca/#/feat...451-wellington

I'm actually starting to like it, but now it seems less and less likely to be built.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 2:50 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Found these two on Mizrahi's website.

That roof kinda reminds me of Blade Runner:

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 7:36 PM

Things appear to be moving.....I noticed a construction crew working on the site the last time I walked by

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa