HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Absolutely. As fairview continues to grow and cost of living increases closer to the peninsula, people will move further and further up the hill.
It really depends whether enough retail/things to do are added. There's already a good connection to Bayer's Lake, and it's near established areas like Dutch Village (which I could see flourishing in the coming years) and Dunbrack and Lacewood. It's actually pretty well positioned to support transit and walking. If some retail/food options are established around Dunbrack and Main and along the Main-Washmill Lake stretch this could actually be a pretty attractive focal point for upper Fairview, especially if some forest is preserved. Improved bus service between Dutch Village (Bayers Road term.) and Bayers Lake, and along Dunbrack, would also make this development work a lot better. If the retail amounts to another convenience store and a dry cleaner then yeah I can see this becoming a very dull place to live pretty quickly.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:37 AM

If someone can grab a completed photo of the buildings on Bentley Drive it'd be awesome.

Royal View Apartments (@ 35 Bentley Drive)

Kijiji Ad

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 2:59 AM

Not all the buildings are completed, the brick one furthest up the street is but the others are not. They're gettin there though, I'll try to remember my camera next time I'm in the area

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 8:23 PM

Here are some I got on the way home from work the other day:

Royale Summit (website):

36 Bentley (that's not its spire)

Royal View:

16 Bentley:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 8:31 PM

I feel badly for the people who bought the expensive single family houses up there. I wonder if these apartment blocks were known about by the purchasers at the time.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 10:57 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I feel badly for the people who bought the expensive single family houses up there. I wonder if these apartment blocks were known about by the purchasers at the time.
These apartments/condos have been in the plans from the start, so they must have known. And the way I see it, progress is progress. If they didn't want to live next to apartment blocks then they should have moved to a neighbourhood that had no chance of them going up.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:45 PM

The Royale Summit is almost complete now. Occupancy will start in May (2013).

Kijiji Ad

Royalesummit.ca

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 12:49 AM

Looks like there is a little competition going on for ugliest building in Mt. Royale (photos by me):

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 1:48 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I don't know if it's been addressed or not yet, but WTF is the deal with most of the buildings up there having that "blank" floor at ground level, either no windows, or the windows all blocked and bricked up.. like, did they not think about adequate elevation for underground parking or what? It looks absolutely awful :\ I am pondering if it was something like "cookie cutter" building plans that they couldn't bother modifying to work on the hill

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 2:56 AM
BANNED

It's very depressing how suburban these apartment buildings are.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't know about these buildings but a lot of Clayton Park buildings with underground parking still have blank ground floors, setbacks, and some surface parking out front.

This isn't going to change unless the planning regulations for these areas change.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 11:47 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

There is no excuse for exterior parking given the footprint of these buildings. 2 underground levels would be more than enough. The only exterior parking should have always been 10-15 visitor parking spots BEHIND the buildings.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
There is no excuse for exterior parking given the footprint of these buildings. 2 underground levels would be more than enough. The only exterior parking should have always been 10-15 visitor parking spots BEHIND the buildings.
I'm not sure if you have ever been in an apt building before. Most if not all buildings are under parked inside. The best you would see is 1 spot for every unit. Most people have 2 cars and need to put it somewhere...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I don't know if it's been addressed or not yet, but WTF is the deal with most of the buildings up there having that "blank" floor at ground level, either no windows, or the windows all blocked and bricked up.. like, did they not think about adequate elevation for underground parking or what? It looks absolutely awful :\ I am pondering if it was something like "cookie cutter" building plans that they couldn't bother modifying to work on the hill
Its a good question, but there are 2 reasons why buildings are built with the "underground" parking above ground.
First, if there is bedrock, it would cost way too much to break it out, or blast and remove. The best solution is to sit the building up on the bedrock rather than in it.
Second reason is that the first floor of the building is off the ground. This avoids issues like water under patios, potential security problems and tenants inviting guests in over handrails. Personally, I like the garages above grade, but to each their own!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycentre View Post
Second reason is that the first floor of the building is off the ground. This avoids issues like water under patios, potential security problems and tenants inviting guests in over handrails. Personally, I like the garages above grade, but to each their own!
Also while this is not a concern in Mount Royal apartments that are partially or fully below ground tend to flood. My cousin just lost her place in Mission (Calgary) from basement flooding.

BTW welcome back citycentre. Do have any updates on the Bayview (50 Bedford Highway) project? I'm excited to see that get underway.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 2:34 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Its a good question, but there are 2 reasons why buildings are built with the "underground" parking above ground.
First, if there is bedrock, it would cost way too much to break it out, or blast and remove. The best solution is to sit the building up on the bedrock rather than in it.
Don't get me wrong, those are great points and all, but it would be nice to see them overcome the bedrock issue (which, given the geology of the area is most likely the issue here) at least try and make that lower level a little more aesthetitcally pleasing instead of just looking like the building lost a floor and the filled the windows with brick

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 11:19 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
I'm not sure if you have ever been in an apt building before. Most if not all buildings are under parked inside. The best you would see is 1 spot for every unit. Most people have 2 cars and need to put it somewhere...
I certainly have and that was my point. The standard is one space per unit normally. There would be enough room under most for 2 per unit and the second would be at a cost per month/year. I hate Apt buildings sitting in a lake of parking. I have to agree though that unfortunately for some of these low rise suburban style buildings it may not always be cost effective to dig into the bedrock.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 6:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think most people living in apartments have TWO cars. (I don't even have one car). But anyway, as others said, one space per apartment is the standard--even in condos, you usually have to buy a second space, rather than just get it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I don't think most people living in apartments have TWO cars. (I don't even have one car). But anyway, as others said, one space per apartment is the standard--even in condos, you usually have to buy a second space, rather than just get it.
I dunno - maybe in the downtown area that's the case, but in most cases that I'm aware of, if there are two adults living in an apartment there are two cars for that apartment.

At first I thought you meant only 2 cars... and I was gonna say "I know... how can they get by with only 2 cars..." Uh... nevermind...

Just kiddin' ya...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Also while this is not a concern in Mount Royal apartments that are partially or fully below ground tend to flood. My cousin just lost her place in Mission (Calgary) from basement flooding.

BTW welcome back citycentre. Do have any updates on the Bayview (50 Bedford Highway) project? I'm excited to see that get underway.
Good point on the flooding! There is a building downtown on Barrington Street (I believe) that tends to have its garage flood on occasion.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, we have completed ground testing and all came back ok. We are just finalizing a few last details with suite layouts and are looking to start digging later this year.
We have switched a few things up in the podium levels and are exploring different avenues on how to wrap the building. We want to cover the building in glass, but aren't sure if we want to do the regular curtain wall or the new window wall system. Fares is using it on his new building, St. Lawrence, but have heard he is having issues with leaks. Hopefully I can hear someone chime in on this!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs