HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 4:36 PM

Interesting sounding - 16 levels off Brighton Blvd, right next to the Giambrocco site. Not the best renderings, but will be nice to have some height over there.

https://businessden.com/2018/09/24/1...-blvd-in-rino/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:28 PM

^ Interesting info, that top floor outside space looks great btw!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:53 PM

Some renderings of a proposed project at Franklin and Colfax can be seen here: https://denverite.com/2018/09/23/whe...it-opposition/

Rendering seems pretty stellar -- what a change for Colfax that would be.

Of course CHUN fighting tooth and nail to 'save' another dilapidated Colfax building that has lost most of its historical architectural value (they did the same with Smileys).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:34 PM

A building permit application has been submitted for the long awaited hotel at 1616 Market Street:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Some renderings of a proposed project at Franklin and Colfax can be seen here: https://denverite.com/2018/09/23/whe...it-opposition/

Of course CHUN fighting tooth and nail to 'save' another dilapidated Colfax building that has lost most of its historical architectural value (they did the same with Smileys).
I'm conflicted. They are really cool buildings with a lot of character and eccentricity that you won't find in modern architecture and construction. On the other hand they are in very, very poor shape.

There are plenty of surface lots and suburban-style commercial properties on that stretch of Colfax that I would like to see go first. If I were a neighbor, though, I also don't think that I would turn down a developer wanting to spend money in that kind of area. If they walk you are stuck with a surface lot and a dilapidated building until it falls down.

Last edited by jhwk; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post

Looks great. I live nearby and would be thrilled to see this go up. Let's build this and stop pretending anyone cares about a dilapidated mansion with hundreds of look alikes throughout the city. It's criminal that East Colfax has hardly any multifamily buildings constructed in the last two decades (the only one coming to mind in central Denver is the condo building at Monroe, across from Sprouts). Historic preservation is tragically abused.

I was scratching my head during a recent trip to Portland and jealously eyeing the incredible amount of new, rather attractive, small scale 4-ish story residential buildings with retail on the bottom that you find along corridors like Alberta, Division, Burnside and many others. We have nothing like it in our "peer city". Tennyson comes closest.

But then I realized what was absent in those PDX buildings that probably kills so many would-be projects in Denver: parking.

Last edited by Agent Orange; Sep 25, 2018 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwk View Post
I'm conflicted. They are really cool buildings with a lot of character and eccentricity that you won't find in modern architecture and construction. On the other hand they are in very, very poor shape.

There are plenty of surface lots and suburban-style commercial properties on that stretch of Colfax that I would like to see go first. If I were a neighbor, though, I also don't think that I would turn down a developer wanting to spend money in that kind of area. If they walk you are stuck with a surface lot and a dilapidated building until it falls down.
It’s so easy to tell other people what to do with her money. “They should spend a lot of money to turn old homes into newer versions of themselves - even if it doesn’t make them economically viable. But I enjoy looking at them”

The alternative is to let them sit there, dilapidate further, and continue to be an eyesore to the community.

I like preservation, too, but these homes are too far gone and don’t provide the resources that a new building will provide - namely housing and commercial space that improves the neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
A building permit application has been submitted for the long awaited hotel at 1616 Market Street:
It has been awhile; if memory serves the developer is from San Diego?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post
I like preservation, too, but these homes are too far gone and don’t provide the resources that a new building will provide - namely housing and commercial space that improves the neighborhood.
I agree. I fussed a little over the Smiley Building which had lots of history in it's use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I was scratching my head during a recent trip to Portland and jealously eyeing the incredible amount of new, rather attractive, small scale 4-ish story residential buildings with retail on the bottom that you find along corridors like Alberta, Division, Burnside and many others. We have nothing like it in our "peer city". Tennyson comes closest.

But then I realized what was absent in those PDX buildings that probably kills so many would-be projects in Denver: parking.
Along the arts district on Alberta I saw a boatload of 1 to 2-story buildings. I did find some of which you reference but since I'm not familiar with Portland, I don't know the history, character of the neighborhoods or how their bones have developed.

At this point I assume Denver is far outpacing Portland as to amount of higher density development which is different but IMO preferred. Retail is generally still better being clustered and otherwise often worthless. I don't doubt parking is more of a 'thing' in Denver but that's typically by choice/requirement of the developers. I'd guess that Denver will evolve to less parking over time.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 5:24 AM

I call it noteworthy

VF Corp. could create a landlords' market by snapping up entire downtown Denver building
Sep 24, 2018 By Kelcey McClung – Denver Business Journal
Quote:
VF Corp. isn't just moving its global headquarters to Denver, it's gobbling up 285,000 square feet of space in a prime location and making waves in the office market. VF Corp.'s move is going to create a sense of urgency in the office market, said Tom Lee, executive managing director at Newmark Knight Frank.

With this big block of space off the market, Lee predicts that this deal will heat up leasing velocity, which bodes well for existing office space downtown. Areas outside of downtown, like RiNo, could also see quickened activity.
Whoaa transit, eh?
Quote:
Lee also said that this move justifies all of the investments the city has made in public infrastructure, particularly Union Station and transit.
What does the the Downtown Denver Partnership think?
Quote:
Randy Thelen, vice president of economic development at the Downtown Denver Partnership ... Like Lee, he said... validates the city's building and planning strategy as well as its investment in the airport, transit and Union Station.
CBRE, have you anything to add?
Quote:
This deal represents the front end of a trend in Denver — one that will bring more corporate relocation to the market, said CBRE senior vice president Chris Phenicie. In addition to becoming a destination for the next Bay-area tech firm looking to expand, Phenicie said that Denver is becoming a more corporate town, citing Gates Corp., DaVita, and BP as examples.

Phenicie also expressed concern for the constrained office market in Denver, as the supply and demand equation can't be rebalanced over night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
It makes me hopeful that Tabor 2 will deliver.
Sounds like the odds of Two Tabor just went up dramatically.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:09 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Re 1616 Market Street:Assuming that facade is brick, that's going to be really handsome.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Re 1616 Market Street:Assuming that facade is brick, that's going to be really handsome.
When that building and Market Station are complete it will represent a huge transformation of that block. I remember not quite 5 years ago that the other corner was an empty windowless former Office Depot.

A couple blocks away I'm hearing 18th & Market may actually break ground before the end of the year. Uh oh I may have just jinxed it...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Agreed, anybody know if this will have a rooftop bar?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 5:25 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
When that building and Market Station are complete it will represent a huge transformation of that block. I remember not quite 5 years ago that the other corner was an empty windowless former Office Depot.

A couple blocks away I'm hearing 18th & Market may actually break ground before the end of the year. Uh oh I may have just jinxed it...
Between this hotel, 1800 Market, Market Station, and T2 that would be quite a lot of repair done to the urban fabric along the LoDo/CBD boundary.

I'll be freakin' ecstatic if this all of this ends up U/C before the end of the year.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:13 PM

So I biked from Littleton to Denver a little bit ago and I saw a new park under construction by the Pepsi center. It looks really cool, there are these big wicker ball things that kids can play in. I wasn't able to snap a picture, do any of you have more information on this?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
So I biked from Littleton to Denver a little bit ago and I saw a new park under construction by the Pepsi center. It looks really cool, there are these big wicker ball things that kids can play in. I wasn't able to snap a picture, do any of you have more information on this?
Are you referring to the revamped Pacco Sanchez Park?

https://patch.com/colorado/denver/ne...nveiled-denver

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 8:04 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
https://www.mychildsmuseum.org/adven...t-coming-soon/

Probably this.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Yeah that's it! Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 4:36 AM

Updated design for Kenect Denver:

Still 24 stories and 434 units. Architects are Perkins+Will and Shears Adkins + Rockmore.

Here is a comparison of the Lawrence Street elevation - some changes to the base, but nothing too dramatic:

A rendering:

And a street level view:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:56 AM

That looks pretty spiffy to me.

I just checked on Kenect Nashville which was originally announced before Denver and it appears there's some preservation issues slowing the process. Akara Partners also purchased land on Central Ave in Phoenix in June for a 23-story 320-unit project but planning process is just getting started.

Looks like Kenect Denver could be the first project outside of Chicago to break ground.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:45 PM

that is a great building, fingers crossed.

Now that Union Station is at capacity, shouldn't we see another hotspot start to emerge? Or would another hotspot like Union Station only come about from a massive public investment?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West