HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:41 AM

It would be nice if more Canadian plates featured something dramatic like this.

or this

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:45 AM

^ That's why I like the B.C. Parks plates.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:47 AM

Yeah, Canada could do a lot more to display its landscapes (like the BC Parks ones) on plates, since that seems to be what defines a lot of provinces' image/identity.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Oregon has a lot of them too. They also, like BC, have some parks one.

I like this one though

oregonstate.edu
Nice one.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Quebec and Ontario have equally boring license plates that have only seen minor changes over the past few decades.

Generally, the larger the province/state, the more basic the license plate design (Texas and California are also dull)
Texas plates were very nice for a couple decades (two designs in a row) but when I first spotted the new design on a vehicle I was certain it was a temporary paper plate (sometimes you see vehicles that were just bought with those)... super plain, black text on white!

These IMO look good. Not too charged, not too dull.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
Ontario and Quebec really do have dull plates but as the two largest provinces it isn't a surprise as hipster duck said.
Florida is as big as Ontario and Quebec combined (it's the third state now) and they have a ton of wild plate designs, as well as a not-too-plain standard one.

Vermont on the other hand is one of the least populated states and they've had a super simple / dull design that hasn't changed in forever. (White text on green.)

I don't think that rule of thumb (big population -> dull plates) works too well.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:56 PM
Starring as himself

New Brunswick is a licence plate design headache due to bilingualism requirements.

I like the old ones with no slogans, where you knew them by their colours.

I wonder if there isn’t a freedom of expression argument here, as citizens are essentially being forced to proclaim a government-approved message whether they agree with it or not.

As a philosophy undergrad many years ago, the (supposed) case of the man who taped over New Hampshire’s “Live Free Or Die” motto was a pretty standard example for class discussions on the paradoxes of freedom.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I wonder if there isn’t a freedom of expression argument here, as citizens are essentially being forced to proclaim a government-approved message whether they agree with it or not.
In any case, in Quebec there's at least a logical contradiction there as many people with a memory span shorter than a goldfish's are driving around proclaiming something ridiculously untrue

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:43 PM

I really love how bold New Mexico's is. Awesome slogan too.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

"New Mexico USA" - Gee, that's just like "New/Nouveau Brunswick Canada"

I presume in New Mexico's case, this is to differentiate itself from "old" Mexico (the country to the south)

In NB's case, it's to avoid confusion with the better know New Brunswick, New Jersey (home of Princeton University), and to help localize where NB actually is. While most Americans couldn't find NB on a map, at least some have a vague idea that Canada is that big country that lies north of them........

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The most exotic ones you'll commonly see in Newfoundland, despite they're from the closest jurisdiction to us:

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/world/AT_SPMX.html

The cute thing about them is SPM has cars imported from Newfoundland and France so they need plates in the North American and European shape. They also have some of the cool smaller versions of North American cars that you see in places like Bermuda.

There's something off about the dates on that as well, the 1998-1999 ones are probably the most commonly seen. That feels impossible if they were only issued for one year so long ago.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 16, 2018 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
:

In NB's case, it's to avoid confusion with the better know New Brunswick, New Jersey (home of Princeton University), and to help localize where NB actually is. While most Americans couldn't find NB on a map, at least some have a vague idea that Canada is that big country that lies north of them........
You really think New Brunswick NJ is better known than New Brunswick Canada? Maybe in the NYC-Philadelphia area, but beyond that?

Also, I always associated Princeton with Trenton, but I guess it's kind of in between Trenton and New Brunswick.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You really think New Brunswick NJ is better known than New Brunswick Canada? Maybe in the NYC-Philadelphia area, but beyond that?
If you're an American - absolutely!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Also, I always associated Princeton with Trenton, but I guess it's kind of in between Trenton and New Brunswick.
True enough. Rutgers University is in New Brunswick, New Jersey. I always get them confused (I don't know why).

Fun Fact - Not only is there a New Brunswick, New Jersey, there is also a New Jersey, New Brunswick (down in Charlotte County)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:

True enough. Rutgers University is in New Brunswick, New Jersey. I always get them confused (I don't know why).

Fun Fact - Not only is there a New Brunswick, New Jersey, there is also a New Jersey, New Brunswick (down in Charlotte County)
In academia, “New Brunswick” means Rutgers. Generally, Americans know a couple of Canadian provinces tops (usually Quebec and B.C. - they’ve probably also heard of Saskatchewan because it sounds comical, but wouldn’t know if it is a province or a town). The foregoing doesn’t change for people high up the education ladder, in my experience.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It depends where you go.

Almost everyone I've met in Boston and New England has a vague notion of Newfoundland (and not the town in Pennsylvania). Canada, especially in Massachusetts, is Montreal. Every question is asked in relation to Montreal, even if they know it. "Oh, St. John's in Newfoundland! I've heard of it it. That's close to Montreal right?", "Oh, I've heard of Newfoundland! You're a state, right? Is that by Montreal?", etc.

I haven't really interacted with enough people often enough in other areas of the U.S. to have an impression. I can say Minnesotans and Dakotans in Winnipeg are familiar with Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post

I love that too. I think I'd even guess New Mexico by the colours/pattern if I was asked what American state it belonged to.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:02 PM

I saw a NWT plate at the Sheraton in Toronto a few years ago. Saw a Mexican Tourist bus in front of Union right around the same time too, it really stuck out as it was a kind that isn't produced in Canada / the US, one of the Central / South American buses. About a year ago I saw a BMW 5 series with German plates (yes, even on the back), that is the most exotic I've seen.

Personally I hate graphic plates. Clean and simple is the way to go. NYs new yellow plate is a massive improvement over the old one, and Michigan was far better off with its old one. Keep it simple and consistent.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Florida is as big as Ontario and Quebec combined (it's the third state now) and they have a ton of wild plate designs, as well as a not-too-plain standard one.

Vermont on the other hand is one of the least populated states and they've had a super simple / dull design that hasn't changed in forever. (White text on green.)

I don't think that rule of thumb (big population -> dull plates) works too well.
Meh I see your point. However, California's plate is pretty dull, Texas' is as well (the links to the previous two designs were great, can't believe they ditched those) I also find the New York, Ohio and Massachusetts ones dull and boring.

Of course there are exceptions. Florida's standard is cool along with the various designs. Pennsylvania's is clean cut and Washington's is really nice.

So I guess I can say its just a mixed bag.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post

I remember the last time I was in Seattle, I saw a New Mexico plate and thought it was probably the most unique and cool looking design I've seen in awhile.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:

"New Mexico USA" - Gee, that's just like "New/Nouveau Brunswick Canada"

I presume in New Mexico's case, this is to differentiate itself from "old" Mexico (the country to the south)
For New Mexico, apparently, the name existed before the country of Mexico existed, if Wikipedia is correct, even as far back as the 1500s.

Mexico was the land of the Aztec (Mexica) Empire, as encountered by the Spanish, and New Mexico was used for the lands farther away from that area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico#Etymology

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
In academia, “New Brunswick” means Rutgers. Generally, Americans know a couple of Canadian provinces tops (usually Quebec and B.C. - they’ve probably also heard of Saskatchewan because it sounds comical, but wouldn’t know if it is a province or a town). The foregoing doesn’t change for people high up the education ladder, in my experience.
It seems like even really educated Americans seem rather unfamiliar with Canadian geography. I've met Americans with PhD's ranging from engineering to sociology, but yet who aren't aware of where Toronto and Montreal are located on a map of Canada, or who can't really name any Canadian provinces any more than they could name provinces of say, China, or something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada