HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I feel like TransLink has been advocating in favour of getting a passarelle across the street as part of the finished station. I recall the earliest info boards back in 2013 or so showed no passarelle at any part of the station whatsoever, before a centre passarelle was made part of the display boards in 2014. That said, the current (and TransLink, not City of Burnaby or Mall but definitely TransLink) decision to close east stationhouse & passarelle before full completion of the west stationhouse is not acceptable.
I remember reading somewhere that the mall does not want to pay for the new passarelle even though its on their property, and the city does not want to pay either... Maybe TransLink figured this is the only way to have the city and the mall to reach an agreement

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the mall does not want to pay for the new passarelle even though its on their property, and the city does not want to pay either... Maybe TransLink figured this is the only way to have the city and the mall to reach an agreement
I believe the owner of the mall has agreed to fund their contribution, we're just waiting on the city to contribute their portion and approve the design.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthecivil View Post
scraping pedestrians off the pavement
I'm at Metrotown every weekday, I'm mildly annoyed by the loss of the passerelle, but I think the concerns about safety are really overblown. Traffic is pretty damn slow on Central Boulevard.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Then I look around and don't see any ticket validators. Hopefully that's just because the existing stationhouse is still open and they haven't moved 'em over yet. It'll be a problem if people can't tap in / out of the station.
Here are some validators placed outdoors, picture from a friend of mine.

He has some more, including some of the stairwells. Go into his profile to find more.

https://flic.kr/p/AMBRQN

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
I'm at Metrotown every weekday, I'm mildly annoyed by the loss of the passerelle, but I think the concerns about safety are really overblown. Traffic is pretty damn slow on Central Boulevard.
I agree that the safety aspect is overblown (but should not be dismissed completely), but given the sheer volume of foot passenger flow it is obstructive to all and not having such a walkway needlessly adds a new conflict of traffic, especially for parents with strollers, the elderly, and others who frequent the mall.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I agree that the safety aspect is overblown (but should not be dismissed completely), but given the sheer volume of foot passenger flow it is obstructive to all and not having such a walkway needlessly adds a new conflict of traffic, especially for parents with strollers, the elderly, and others who frequent the mall.
Lots treat the bus loop is like its a big public market. I would say that this would worsen - I have seen people manage to walk on the layover area where the buses park. I wonder if they could implement such strict trespassing fines like they do down in the Seattle Bus Tunnel - Cross the road at the station and you get slapped with a fine.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691 View Post
Here are some validators placed outdoors, picture from a friend of mine.

He has some more, including some of the stairwells. Go into his profile to find more.

https://flic.kr/p/AMBRQN
Either that's at the bottom of the emergency staircase (that's been open for awhile) or they added validators after I was there - 'cause I sure would have noticed those in my path.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbeaulieu View Post
I don't know why, but I thought the roof of the new broadway renovation was going to be glass. Would've looked much better. That crosshatch design seems like a waste otherwise.

Looks like there will be some light coming through the new roof.

Nov.15 '16, my pics

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
Have you been through there on Christmas time? There's so many pedestrians that the bridge is at capacity! Traffic will be pretty slow all right with that many people trying to cross it!

A new situation, with a ton of pedestrians, in the darkest, wettest time of the year, who are all in a hurry to rush around and find shortcuts (hence the median fences), is a recipe for disaster.

It's a pretty terrible idea in the first place. Doing it in the middle of winter though? They should have at least done it June 1 when it's bright out and volumes are down, so that people could adjust.

I hope they at least get some traffic cops like they do at Canucks games. They are going to need them.......

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:15 PM
(daka_x)

Now that we're at day 1 I'd like to know how things will be going today.

My prediction is that the PM rush load of people coming in from BCIT, Langara, the Mall and everywhere will cause a line-up to climb the stairs this afternoon,

but I might just be feeling horribly pessimistic about this. Let's see what happens.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:05 PM

Hung around the station for about 20 minutes at around 11:30. A line-up formed at the top of the stairs on the platform after each train and dispersed after about 30 seconds. The stairs are narrower than the ones down to the east station house making it difficult for people to move around slower people also using the stairs. Numerous times I saw a bunch-up of people behind a person with less mobility causing the crowding on the platform to persist for even longer.

I overheard a Skytrain Attendant telling a passenger the elevator should be open in four months.

Last edited by Vantage; Nov 16, 2016 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:25 PM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Ahmed Osaka, a BCIT student on crutches, got down the stairs hopping on one foot.
Why was he at Metrotown Station - there's the shuttle from Patterson (also the 125 BCIT bus travels to Patterson).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 10:11 PM
SkyTrain Nut

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Why was he at Metrotown Station - there's the shuttle from Patterson (also the 125 BCIT bus travels to Patterson).
125 doesnt run during the off peak/late evenings on weekdays so maybe that could be case?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
125 doesnt run during the off peak/late evenings on weekdays so maybe that could be case?
There's still the shuttle. When my friend was in a wheelchair earlier this year, we saw plenty of people using the shuttle - including people with crutches (also walkers, canes, with luggage on wheels... ).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
There's still the shuttle. When my friend was in a wheelchair earlier this year, we saw plenty of people using the shuttle - including people with crutches (also walkers, canes, with luggage on wheels... ).
Good to hear that it is well utilized!

Anyways I was just there so here are my notes

-The easternmost exit has no validators - you have to walk to the westernmost exit to tap and back to the crossing

-The westernmost crosswalk is the more crowded one.

-The part of the footbridge above the bus loop is still open - the stairs off to the side towards the parking entrance are open too.

-The crosswalk into the bus loop saw a bunch of people cut the corner into the bus loop - Even saw one guy sprint across just as the light turned red. 2 buses used their horns on other occasions. It's like Granville and Georgia again, I'd say.

-Also at the same location, there is nothing (no markings) separating the passengers and Central Boulevard. It becomes problematic especially if and when the station side becomes crowded and people drive by at not even 50kph - Underestimate where you are standing and you could be clipped by a car.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:22 AM

Oh wow, I hadn't realized that the passarelle won't be replaced as it has been in the renderings all the time. Well, that's going to suck big time. I went to the A&W today and it was a gong show on the ground with people running the red lights. Almost no traffic on upper level and I wonder how long A&W and Chipotle are going to stay there if nothing is being done.

I am sure Metropolis' and Station Square's sales are going to hurt quite a bit this Christmas. What a circus.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Best comment in the thread:

"They should build a new replacement bridge and place a toll on it. I kid. =P"

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 5:23 AM

Quote:
-The easternmost exit has no validators - you have to walk to the westernmost exit to tap and back to the crossing
That would explain why I didn't see any at the center stationhouse (assuming that's the one you mean). Either that or they hadn't gotten around to installing them when I was there yesterday. I'll check next time (tomorrow if it's not pouring rain).

According to the Buzzer Blog:
Quote:
Regarding the Compass readers: Four Compass readers and five Compass Vending Machines (CVMs) are set up at the entrance to the station so passengers can purchase fares and tap in and out of the station. There is also a Compass reader at the exit of the west staircase, so customers can tap out as they exit.

Pedestrian button: All three crosswalks are pedestrian controlled. The button is located near the crosswalk (look for the highlighted area at the construction fencing). If a customer is coming from the centre station stairs headed toward Station Square it’s set back and to the left.
It doesn't help with crossing the street when fences are in front of the walk signal button - that's going to make it difficult for plenty of people to find it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure