HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:35 PM
Closed account

Downtown Update

Since the "Downtown Update" section of a certain website has been missing for a while, I thought I would start one here!

We could dedicate this thread to new food / drink / retail shops in the core and inner-city.

I always like checking out new places as they open so I have something to suggest to friends and family when they visit me (and others) downtown.

So update away!!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 8:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's not in the downtown area but in the west end. It looks like construction for Camco building is about to start and there's a fresh new CAMNET rendering sign out on the property too, just went up. It's a huge sign so you can't miss it. So it appears construction has started for the layout.

It looks like the Camco building will be connected with the new CAMNET building as currently they are ripping a hole on the side of the Camco building to where the future CAMNET will go.

I guess I better make a McMaster Innovation development thread later.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 12:33 AM

i heard a rumour that everyones favourite or second favourite* viet-thai restaurant PHO BEN THANH has been renovated in the last couple weeks and is apparently very nice looking inside.

*I base this on the fact that opinion is worth more than others.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 12:48 AM

Also my favourite food court in Hamilton has been getting a lot of new development lately. The Hamilton City Centre food court has had three major additions since the city began moving in. And two are relatively big chains, a new country style, a hasty market (cigar store platform) and a new restaurant where the former breakfast place was. I am guessing this is more just a response to the city moving in but, it's nice to see some new development and a totally full food court.

It is the best food court because it contains so many styles: Mexican, Persian, Caribbean, Chinese, Italian and Greek and they are all mom and pop style shops, so there is no asking the manager about allowing for special orders.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 12:32 AM
It's Hammer Time

Just to let you know there'll be an announcement soon about CANMET, as a hint the new huge sign out front of Camco is covered now and waiting to be unveiled. Also it looks like the city is currently building the Frid St extension.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 3:08 AM
Closed account

what is the Frid St extension??

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 3:39 AM
It's Hammer Time

Frid Street extension will go from where Frid St currently ends (a deadend) to Longwood Road. Basically spilting the Innovation Park in half.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 11:48 PM
Closed account

The new Shawarma place I was talking about at John/Jackson beside Tailgate Charlies... wow this street is really picking up, eh? Think it has anything to do w/ two-way conversion?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
Closed account

Lots of new (or newer) stores on KingWest

the urban clothing shop rth was mentioning. Not open yet, but it looks like they're setting it all up.

a Christmas junk store? Has some nice decorations tho

Flatspot Skate Shop (not "new" but newer). They were originally located on JamesNorth

Some wireless store

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 11:56 PM
Closed account

And The Jump Off on KingEast (at John)
It's not new, but they've done a REALLY nice job inside this place. I'm starting to like the guys who are running this shop. They like to set up streetfront stores in urban settings. Next time ur walking by, step in and check out the inside! They have awesome chandaliers too.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 12:23 AM
Closed account

lots of good things happening downtown. i do take issue with those dudes at the jump off. that sort of signage should be illegal in this city. a beautiful old building and they've covered it with an ugly sign that reeks of desperation.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 12:57 AM
Cambridgite

I kind of like it actually. It makes it look kinda funky, like Queen Street near MuchMusic in Toronto. It's the kind of store that will draw young people downtown.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 1:37 PM
Closed account

by the way, that "christmas junk store" is a great florist. just happens to be decorated up for christmas right now.
the old chandeliers at Jump Off are from the old arcade that used to be in there.
Yea, I hate those big banners. some nice apartments could go up there.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 4:25 PM
Closed account

i wasted many a quarter in the two arcades that used to be on that block: the palace and...can't remember. they were seriously seedy. downtown is so tame today in comparison.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 7:06 PM
Closed account

I'm not a huge fan of the vertical posters for The Jump Off either, but they couldn't apts up there anyway as the upper levels are retail too!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 7:21 PM
Closed account

really? it's a 3 level store? sweet, if that's the case.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 7:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
really? it's a 3 level store? sweet, if that's the case.
I don't know about 3? 2 for sure. 3rd is prolly like storage.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 10:11 PM
Closed account

almost overnight, a new cafe has opened on james north called 'bailey's.' it's in that block across from the church near colbourne. i'll try to get a picture of it. looks good.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 10:47 PM
Closed account

yea, it looks awesome...I saw that.

by the way, I have it on good authority that 'downtown update' will return to RTH tonight.

any menu for Bailey's?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 10:49 PM

I was just down there taking pictures last week and I didn't even notice a new cafe was opening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton