HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Right, and I am not disputing any of that. Again, this is common sense. You get hit by a bike vs. a car and it doesn't take much thought as to who will be injured worse regardless of speed(in most cases). My point is articles like these dispose of the notion set fourth but not explicitly stated in the tone of many pro-urban publications like Strongtowns in cycling being angelic while cars are the devil. It paints a different picture. Now I'm sure we can agree that the term "bike terrorism" is stupid and doesn't apply here.
I hear ya. I think people get defensive over this issue because(for some reason) bikes and bike lanes seem to bring out the worst in people. So maybe it's a defensive technique you see in a lot of political topics(DONT TOUCH MY GUNS...even though I might like a law here or there...but I think its a slippery-slope type deal for example)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I hear ya. I think people get defensive over this issue because(for some reason) bikes and bike lanes seem to bring out the worst in people. So maybe it's a defensive technique you see in a lot of political topics(DONT TOUCH MY GUNS...even though I might like a law here or there...but I think its a slippery-slope type deal for example)
Yeah and I think more questions should be asked when a cyclist is injured or killed instead of the automatic response shaming the car driver. More than likely the driver is way more distraught than most of the cycling community except close friends and family. That was my only point.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
See, I knew my math was wrong and the actual answer was probably even less damning regarding bikes than what I figured up.
It's actually worse for bikes; as it means that cars have about half of the accident rate that bikes do. But that's only if the bicycles having 1% share is accurate.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and you know this how? you've done the necessary polls/studies?

All of those people have disappeared. I don't see them at all in real life and I don't see them taking glamour shots of themselves with their bikes anymore on social media.

I don't even have a picture of two bikes I each had for years (a circa-1992 Trek and a circa-2002 Jamis) and rode thousands of miles on, let alone a picture of myself with or on said bikes. Both were stolen. Since the Jamis walked out the back door back in 2007 I've bought three bikes and taken photos of them in case they are stolen.

I hate when I go on a group ride and within 15 minutes the group has to stop somewhere to get our picture taken. Who cares?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:03 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
A couple of points:

1. More people biking means that there will be more issues.
2. I think a huge issue is our culture. Biking culture here vs in Europe or Japan could not be more different. People here feel like they have to zoom everywhere quickly, this isn't the case in Japan(where bikes are usually found on sidewalks) or in most of Europe.
3. I would rather be hit by a bike than a car ANY day.

All that being said, police need a crackdown on idiots who are clearly being dangerous. This won't hurt the "cause" of wanting more people to ride bikes. Hell, it will only help.

exactly. the problem is there are more bikers, but not enough bikers, thats what makes it so dangerous.

also, remember in ny you have the history of type A’s trying to live the bike messenger nostalgia from when those guys were the only bikers on the streets. which wasnt that long ago. next add in the massive increases in tourists and citibikes. its maddeningly dangerous at this point in time. there is definitely a lot of ways to address it, but there is no denying how bad it is both anectdotally as a pedestrian and statistically.

as for cars, i never mentioned anything about that. but don’t get me started on those devilish ebikes lol.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
All of those people have disappeared.
then i guess i'm not really sure what you mean by "those people".

i thought you were talking about people on fixies and vintage 10-speeds.

if that's who you are talking about, then "those people" definitely haven't gone anywhere in chicago.

i see that kinda stuff being ridden all the time here in the windy city. and i ride every day.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 8, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:23 PM

i'm starting my new commute into the office tomorrow, and planning to bike. part of my route is going to be on a very bike unfriendly road; potholes, hyper aggressive buckhead betties. i feel like i should bike this short portion on the sidewalk, but is this ever appropriate? (i know it's not legal, but that seems to be unenforced) also - how do you guys feel about helmets in general? i picked up a couple of cheap retrospec helmets but they look incredibly dorky - something much more low profile would be preferred, i dont think they need to be 2" thick...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i feel like i should bike this short portion on the sidewalk, but is this ever appropriate? (i know it's not legal, but that seems to be unenforced)
i just google streetviewed that route and only saw one pedestrian on the sidewalk for that entire half-mile. if that's typical and if motorists on the 6 lane street without shoulders are fast and aggressive (as they often are around expressway entrances/exits), then yeah, i might sidewalk ride that stretch for my own safety.

sidewalk riding is typically illegal for adults in most cities, but there are always certain situations where it can still be the better call. slow way down and be very courteous to any pedestrians you may encounter, and if johnny law ever gives you any guff for it, just give him a reasonable explanation for why you're riding on the sidewalk in that particular situation and that you understand that sidewalk riding is technically illegal and best avoided where practical. if you get a reasonable cop, you'll be fine. if you get one of the assholes, well, not much you can do about that.

alternatively, i would try to look for a side-street get-around, but i know atlanta is a bit different than chicago in terms of side-street street-grid integration, so that might not be a very practical option for your route.

it looks like you got an expressway, a rail ROW, and a river all to get across, which can be a very tough trifecta for alternate routes.

Quote:
also - how do you guys feel about helmets in general? i picked up a couple of cheap retrospec helmets but they look incredibly dorky - something much more low profile would be preferred, i dont think they need to be 2" thick...
i always ride with a helmet because i have twice been struck by motor vehicles while bike commuting where my head has hit the pavement with enough force to crack the helmets that i was wearing.

were it not for the helmet cracking, it likely would have been my skull, and that's never a good thing.

i'm decidedly not a fashion guy, so looking dorky has never been an issue for me; hell, it's my default.

and best of luck to you on the new bike commute tommorow!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 8, 2019 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
exactly. the problem is there are more bikers, but not enough bikers, thats what makes it so dangerous.

also, remember in ny you have the history of type A’s trying to live the bike messenger nostalgia from when those guys were the only bikers on the streets. which wasnt that long ago. next add in the massive increases in tourists and citibikes. its maddeningly dangerous at this point in time. there is definitely a lot of ways to address it, but there is no denying how bad it is both anectdotally as a pedestrian and statistically.

as for cars, i never mentioned anything about that. but don’t get me started on those devilish ebikes lol.
HEY! I am an ebiker(jesus, that sounds so uncool) but I get it. I am neurotic so I go waaay out of my way to not annoy people or make them feel unsafe.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:34 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
i'm starting my new commute into the office tomorrow, and planning to bike. part of my route is going to be on a very bike unfriendly road; potholes, hyper aggressive buckhead betties. i feel like i should bike this short portion on the sidewalk, but is this ever appropriate? (i know it's not legal, but that seems to be unenforced) also - how do you guys feel about helmets in general? i picked up a couple of cheap retrospec helmets but they look incredibly dorky - something much more low profile would be preferred, i dont think they need to be 2" thick...
That street looks really dangerous. Not even the sidewalk looks all that safe (so many driveways...). Is there really no other option?

I try to wear my helmet on longer bike rides, but I often end up riding Divvy bikes without my helmet since I don't always carry it around (it's awkward to carry on my backpack). Usually I'm going across a park so it's mostly not on street, but I wish I had a better solution. Those foldup helmets are really expensive...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 1:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
HEY! I am an ebiker(jesus, that sounds so uncool) but I get it. I am neurotic so I go waaay out of my way to not annoy people or make them feel unsafe.
don't get me wrong i am a big fan of ebikes. what i am not a fan of is that they are completely silent. they go fast and sneak up on people way too easily. again like city biking in general and bike lanes ebikes are kind of a new thing for nyc (aside from delivery guys who have been using them). of course this issue too can be addressed like by requiring they make a noise and maybe have speed restrictions, but as of now given how people ride around here and that it is a new thing they are hella dangerous. i work all over the city and i see near disaster incidents and upset pedestrians all the time.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 1:38 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I don't know about other ebikes, but mine definitely has a discernible motor wine and is notably less silent than a normal bike which can go as or nearly as fast except uphill and under headwinds. I notice that the scooter-style ebikes tend to have less motor noise since they have bigger motors which aren't as easily strained. They produce more tire noise though.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
That street looks really dangerous.
Not nearly as dangerous as that code in your profile... Lol.

Do you exactly know what 0x2a would point to in this case? I'm wondering... It's super dirty. I won't try it!
That's no wise piece of advice to give them, you know?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:17 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post

Do you exactly know what 0x2a would point to in this case? I'm wondering... It's super dirty. I won't try it!
Here's a pointer: Convert 0x2a to decimal (although, not sure how well-understood this reference is in France).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:40 PM

^ Ah ouais ? You just made me google it.

42 is the answer to the “ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything,” a joke in Douglas Adams's 1979 novel, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Is this what you mean? I'd never heard of this.
Frankly, most people are bound to 69 here. That's their only fetish number.
I never read the novel above.

You're right, it's unknown over here, but could well be something.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:23 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

^ yes, 42, at least in my subculture, is a very popular number.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:45 PM

ooh C. never used that one before, just variants of it.

thanks for the replies guys; i'm going to keep an eye out for low profile helmets (this looks promising, if a bit expensive) and i'll try to use one at least on that dangerous stretch. and yep - unfortunately that's really the only possible route. i could go up cheshire bridge road and then head west on lindbergh but it would add a decent bit of distance to the trip.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:24 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post

as for what happens if you try to free that pointer... you typically get a segmentation fault, which on unix systems will send your process a SIGSEGV.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
as for what happens if you try to free that pointer... you typically get a segmentation fault, which on unix systems will send your process a SIGSEGV.
I know. We all made that mistake sometimes. It's normal. We are no machines.
And that's why machines and their systems are annoying.
They are limited. It's not really like humans and math.

Unix systems are safe in that matter, cause they are properly designed and would always correct a dizzy programmer. Right?
Thank God.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
If that was on my commute, I'd probably look into alternative routes. If there was no alternative route, I personally would probably bike as quickly as possible in the right-most vehicle lane. But I have a somewhat high tolerance for riding in vehicle lanes, and in my city, I haven't had any bad experiences with motorists in similar situations where there are two other lanes for cars to go around me. Can't speak for Atlanta drivers, and the level of traffic, both of which might change my recommendation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation