HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
You're still slightly salty they demolished one of the four box towers that look exactly the same? I don't get it. It has NOTHING going for it.
It's getting replaced by a better looking building. That counts as something, lol.

As far as the lighting goes, we don't know what will be lit, we'll just have to wait and see. So I wouldn't get too worked up about it one way or the other.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's getting replaced by a better looking building. That counts as something, lol.

As far as the lighting goes, we don't know what will be lit, we'll just have to wait and see. So I wouldn't get too worked up about it one way or the other.
Now this building will be a GREAT looking building. Kill Tower Fifth, build this!

*or build this, and redo Tower Fifth and Penn Plaza into something decent looking and suitable for NYC.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:
You're still slightly salty they demolished one of the four box towers that look exactly the same? I don't get it. It has NOTHING going for it.
Yea a bit. It's probably 70/30 split for my disdain for how JPMC the company has treated people I personally know and the rest of it is I actually liked the look of the old building. I took an architecture class in college as an elective; one of the lessons used 270 and 277 as a case study in design details.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:05 AM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival718 View Post
Yea a bit. It's probably 70/30 split for my disdain for how JPMC the company has treated people I personally know and the rest of it is I actually liked the look of the old building. I took an architecture class in college as an elective; one of the lessons used 270 and 277 as a case study in design details.
I'm a huge fan of both 270 and 277, I would love to see that case study. Those two buildings always reminded me of a couple facing each other across the avenue.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:30 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
I'm sure "design details" didn't entail any facade "design details." This box has literally no design but the overall box lol. Not sure what college you attended, but thankfully it was only an elective.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 11:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Opening on the skyline for another 1,400 ft tower...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4iD6vaDA7Q/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
I'm sure "design details" didn't entail any facade "design details." This box has literally no design but the overall box lol. Not sure what college you attended, but thankfully it was only an elective.
There were quite a few details on the facade of the building; it just takes the right eye to see them. Design isn't just setbacks, spires, and exterior bracing.

I went to Cornell, not the worst architecture school I've heard.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
There were quite a few details on the facade of the building; it just takes the right eye to see them. Design isn't just setbacks, spires, and exterior bracing.

I went to Cornell, not the worst architecture school I've heard.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

That's Big Red Bear!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 12:56 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/mid...ob-11573394400

Midtown Manhattan Braces for MTA’s Massive 20-Year Construction Job

By Paul Berger
Nov. 10, 2019

Quote:
Midtown Manhattan will soon be upended by 20 years of construction as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority begins repairs to an underground entryway to Grand Central Terminal.

The state-controlled transit authority needs to overhaul a series of bridges and a viaduct that form a 75-acre train shed housing the terminal’s platforms and tracks.

The 1.8-mile viaduct is better known to New Yorkers as Park Avenue.
Quote:
The two-story train shed houses dozens of platforms and 86 tracks that taper to four tracks as they head north toward a tunnel at East 57th Street.

To restore the facility, the MTA must excavate streets and sidewalks along a canyon of buildings housing some of the city’s major financial firms. It also must rip up the tiny oases of trees, shrubs and flowers, known as malls, that line the center of Park Avenue.

Then it will repair or replace each section of the train shed before putting the streetscape back together. The entire project is expected to be completed around 2040.
Quote:
A recent adjustment to local zoning rules allows property owners and developers to replace buildings with larger towers. Mr. Cerullo said that depending upon the timing and location of those construction projects, the area could be strained.

The MTA says that wherever possible it will pair its work with tower construction, taking advantage of a situation in which lanes and sidewalks are already closed.

The authority will begin at 270 Park Ave., where JPMorgan Chase & Co. is demolishing its headquarters to build a new tower. An MTA spokesman said the authority expects to maintain at least two of the three lanes of traffic on that block of Park Avenue while work is under way.
Quote:
The rezoning required construction projects to include transit and public space upgrades. JPMorgan has agreed that its contractor, Tishman Construction Corp., will perform work on the first phase of the train shed. The financial company also will contribute $25 million toward the first phase of the MTA work, which is budgeted at $350 million, the MTA says.
Quote:
The train shed feeds about 700 Metro-North trains into and out of Grand Central each weekday. When it opened just over 100 years ago, the facility was exposed to the elements. But it was soon covered over and built upon.

Janno Lieber, the MTA’s chief development officer, said the train shed’s existence makes possible the valuable real estate that lines Park Avenue. “We have to marshall the will to do the work,” Mr. Lieber said. “We can’t just put it off ad infinitum.“

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:14 PM

Midtown Manhattan Braces for MTA’s Massive 20-Year Construction Job

By Paul Berger
Nov. 10, 2019

If the MTA and the city says it will take 20 years and cost $2 billion expect it to go 30-35 years and cost 4-5 billion..

It's what they do.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well you had to figure that was coming. the old park ave area covering can't last forever.

even hudson yards will need this kind of redo someday too. wonder how thats going to happen after its fully built over?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:59 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post

If the MTA and the city says it will take 20 years and cost $2 billion expect it to go 30-35 years and cost 4-5 billion..

It's what they do.
I'm gonna say $8 billion if we're calling bets.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:51 AM
New Yorker for life

I always remember, a tower twice as high will go up here. Lot's of construction updates in the future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4iGdjOAJzU/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 2:13 AM
New Yorker for life

A little more info on the headquarters portion of the shed rebuilding...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:40 PM
Metal Up Your !

Thanks for all the info you give to the community NYGuy. I know opinions differ and can get heated at times, but there is no doubt you are mvp of this forum. Respect!

As for the article you shared, I am glad to see that these "renovations" bring forth public benefits in transportation and infrastructures.

Nothing but good things for NYC

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Thanks for all the info you give to the community NYGuy. I know opinions differ and can get heated at times, but there is no doubt you are mvp of this forum. Respect!

As for the article you shared, I am glad to see that these "renovations" bring forth public benefits in transportation and infrastructures.

Nothing but good things for NYC

I think it's important to have as much info as we can get into one place. We don't know everything, but we try to put the pieces together as much as we can. It's a lot going on in the city, and it can be difficult to keep up with. But it's exciting.

As far as the renewal of the area, in both transit and office/public spaces, it's important that the city maintains its existing business centers while at the same time providing for expansion of places like the Hudson Yards. While everything over there is new, and exciting to watch take shape, it's just as exciting for me to watch the rebirth of the existing eastside commercial core. It's the heart of the city, and will remain so. It has to modernize where possible.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 19, 2019 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:08 AM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 19, 2019

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:48 AM

That building in the foreground of picture #4 is lovely. Wouldn't it be nice to see a full restoration, inside and out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction